• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Travelling on the F800ST

themayer

Retired User
I currently ride an R1150RT, but because I'm short and getting older to boot, have been thinking "smaller and lighter". Have been looking at the F800ST but haven't seen anything about travelling distances on it (say, oh, Berkeley to Gillette). Nothing is going to be as good as the RT, of course, but has anyone out there put some serious mileage on their F800ST? 500 mile days? day-long rides on the superslab?

F800 touring

I traded an R1150R with touring windshield, factory luggage, H&B top box and 'comfort' seats for an F800ST. The ST has 11,000 km on it since June.

The ST has Givi V35 bags and 35 ltr. top box. My wife and I made the trip home from West Bend, about 450 miles, in one day. She said she finds the F800 more comfortable than the R, in fact it feels more roomy for her.

I find it way smoother than the 1150 twins, almost K75 smooth. I have nerve problems with my right hand and although the air bubble keeps the weight off at highway speed, I found there was too much forward lean around town.

I just put R1150R bars on it with an extended front brake line and have created what for me is the perfect bike. Smooth as silk, spectacular handling and comfortable two up.

If you can find a copy, the ST trounces a Triumph Sprint and Ducati ST3 in the October issue of 'Bike' magazine. If you're looking for lighter and more nimble with touring capability, I recommend you try one.

Thanks for the feedback, Dave. Your respnse is very positive and encouraging. I have ridden the ST and agree with you about the bars. I know that there is an aftermarket bar-riser that puts the bars up and back. Had been thinking that I would need them. There is a site out there that specifically has F800 aftermarket stuff, but I lost my bookmarks when my Camino browser was accidentally deleted (don't ask!). Anyone out there have the address? How about other long-ride testimonials? Thanks to all. I don't post much, but I come around now and then to listen and learn.

There's a wealth of F800 info at http://www.f800riders.org with a link to the F800 parts site. If you're interested in the bar risers, I've got a set I tried before the 1150R bars, and am looking to sell them for 50% of retail plus shipping.

There is a site out there that specifically has F800 aftermarket stuff, but I lost my bookmarks when my Camino browser was accidentally deleted (don't ask!). Anyone out there have the address? How about other long-ride testimonials?

Address of site with specifically F800 aftermarket gear and accessories: http://www.f800depot.com

My long rides may not be your long rides, but I did a 400+ from Phoenix, AZ out to NM and back into AZ to Greer, avoiding summer fires, and with plenty of switchbacks, then home the next day. No monkey butt, no stiffness in arms, and back to work unfazed after the weekend overnight, on Monday. 'Twas a blast!

Did I mention, this is my recovery/therapy bike, after a five year miserable time trying to ride, after two shoulder surgeries? I can steer it with my knees!

Then the heat really set in with a hiatus. Today I am going out for my long season while the North settles in for Winter (we see a day or two of that). At 2 PM today, we are 89; up to last week that was still near 100.

Thanks, "Tweety 1". I have seen many of your posts and know of your enthusiasm for the F800. Was hoping you would weigh in. I actually don't often do more than 200-300 miles in a day, but when travelling (Berkeley to Gillette?) would like to know I was on a bike that was up to it.

Thanks, "Tweety 1". I have seen many of your posts and know of your enthusiasm for the F800. Was hoping you would weigh in. I actually don't often do more than 200-300 miles in a day, but when travelling (Berkeley to Gillette?) would like to know I was on a bike that was up to it.

You're welcome. I actually have the F800S, because I found the bars on the ST had me leaning too far back (I am a hair under 6 ft), and instead of needing risers, I needed "lower-ers"; ergo the S. By doing so I gave up a rear luggage rack, and I will not mount that silverish thing on my bike where all is matte black! :D

I therefore bought a set of strap-on and expandable RKA luggage, a strap on tank bag (OK, three before I found the one I like the best), a rear seat cover in Sunset Yellow (my wife hasn't ridden with me since the 20-yr old daughter was born), and a beautiful Axio tail bag that goes on the rear part of the seat or matches the seat cover edge lines perfectly for a great look, and great water-proof storage for my D-SLR camera and lenses.

It is not huge, but I can always un-strap it, and add another.

If I go to Gillette, and I am planning to (with hotel reservations already), I have just put on the new BMW Zumo, electrified my tank bag for compressor and cell-charger, and bought a Cardo Scala Rider blue tooth headset. The headset is not perfect but good, and needs more testing. I am planning to do so most of next weekend, but this weekend it was still awfully warm here for a full face helmet (which is where the headset is installed).

You can't go wrong with the F800, S or ST. The engine is near-perfect (still thinking on that $850 Akropovic, though) and so smooth. The belt drive is wonderful. The ABS seems great here, with all our dust and gravel-ridden corners.

Now, suspension, I love it stock, but I am about 175 lbs, and 190 with riding clothes and helmet. That is where you and your wife should test it. It is very good, but the higher-priced BMW bikes use better or at least more expensive parts. It works for me, though.

Tires, they are good Bridgestones, but my experience with the same or similar ones on my last bike - they can bested, and mine will be in a few months. I am thinking Pirellis. We'll see.

I have to say, if this what you need, and did I (or give up riding), go for it. The F800 is so stable, and agile, it'll make you smile. Just watch those lean angles, they can be deeper than what you are used to. :dance

You're welcome. I actually have the F800S, because I found the bars on the ST had me leaning too far back (I am a hair under 6 ft), and instead of needing risers, I needed "lower-ers"; ergo the S. By doing so I gave up a rear luggage rack, and I will not mount that silverish thing on my bike where all is matte black! :D

I therefore bought a set of strap-on and expandable RKA luggage, a strap on tank bag (OK, three before I found the one I like the best), a rear seat cover in Sunset Yellow (my wife hasn't ridden with me since the 20-yr old daughter was born), and a beautiful Axio tail bag that goes on the rear part of the seat or matches the seat cover edge lines perfectly for a great look, and great water-proof storage for my D-SLR camera and lenses.

It is not huge, but I can always un-strap it, and add another.

If I go to Gillette, and I am planning to (with hotel reservations already), I have just put on the new BMW Zumo, electrified my tank bag for compressor and cell-charger, and bought a Cardo Scala Rider blue tooth headset. The headset is not perfect but good, and needs more testing. I am planning to do so most of next weekend, but this weekend it was still awfully warm here for a full face helmet (which is where the headset is installed).

You can't go wrong with the F800, S or ST. The engine is near-perfect (still thinking on that $850 Akropovic, though) and so smooth. The belt drive is wonderful. The ABS seems great here, with all our dust and gravel-ridden corners.

Now, suspension, I love it stock, but I am about 175 lbs, and 190 with riding clothes and helmet. That is where you and your wife should test it. It is very good, but the higher-priced BMW bikes use better or at least more expensive parts. It works for me, though.

Tires, they are good Bridgestones, but my experience with the same or similar ones on my last bike - they can bested, and mine will be in a few months. I am thinking Pirellis. We'll see.

I have to say, if this what you need, and did I (or give up riding), go for it. The F800 is so stable, and agile, it'll make you smile. Just watch those lean angles, they can be deeper than what you are used to. :dance

Tweets, you are a great ambassador for the F, good on ya!
The more I ride my ST, the more I like it, definitely a different riding experience from my R12RT.
Hope someday to shake your hand.

Tweets, you are a great ambassador for the F, good on ya!
The more I ride my ST, the more I like it, definitely a different riding experience from my R12RT.
Hope someday to shake your hand.

Love to meet you too, wezul! Maybe we could meet in Gillette (for me it's still a maybe).

And as far as me being a great ambassador for the F, the F makes that easy, too. :groovy :clap

In the past 6 months I have put 25,000kms on my ST, 20,000 of that was full up touring. The longest stretch was 3 weeks before and after West Bend. All solo touring. I feel that unless you are both little people it might be a bit of a stretch to 2-up tour. The max load for the bike is 800lbs, the bike and gas takes 425, so it doesn't leave a lot of room for two people, gear and supplies. When I travel I estimate that my load is 725 and still got excellent mileage and lots of power to spare.

RallyTrip068.jpg

The only complaint in that time was my butt and that is to be solved next year by stuff like bicycle shorts, maybe a Corbin, maybe a bead seat.

At speed there is no weight on the hands/wrists as the low shield supports by wind on the chest (I am 6'1"). A Throttlemeister, Crampbuster or something similar really helps out by resting the right hand.

Next year my plan is another 10-15,000kms ride in and around the National, plus wherever else I go.

Great bike for travelling. I found the first leg of the day I could go a full tank, but after that I was looking for a butt rest every 90 minutes or so. Maybe that will change with the seat alterations for next year.

Superslab, while boring, is a breeze.

R1100RT vs F800

I have both. F800 riding position may need adjustment, in my case 1" riser. I may need lower footpegs. Finished 650 MI weekend today in LA on F800 with my wife, nearly perfect. The only difference is higher noice (plugs work for me) and luggage - good for max week in hotels.

One more thing

For shorter trips (less than a week) I would take F800, it does everything well, much more fun when it gets technical, and 650 MI still cost me $30 in gas. R1100RT now waits for some work and it will be the "camping moto".
Bo

Back