• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Traveling

bdfbeemer

RT in NC
Has anyone been traveling this summer? I am interested in lodging and food availability. Also how are the crowds at the national parks?

I just took a 3000 mile round trip from Texas to Minnesota in a car. I stayed on the slab mostly. No problem with typical fast food, although it's all drive-thru. I didn't make motel reservations ahead of time, just rolled up mid to late afternoon and was able to get rooms.

Last month we went to Colorado taking back roads through Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah and Kansas. Back road traffic was lite but Colorado roads were busier than I expected.
Motels are open but don't expect much for breakfast. Most places could only do prepackaged items.
We visited Dinosaur NP in Utah and Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado. Both parks were busy.
All the restaurants we went to had inside dinning and some had good outside areas setup for eating because of the reduced inside capacity.
We ate at mostly privately owned restaurants.
Take masks and your own sanitizers. Colorado was good about having sanitizers and masks available but some states did not have them available.
Do a little research and avoid the hot spot locations.

Last edited:
We rode on a 1200GS from Denver, CO to Seattle and back (about 2600 miles round trip). Went through Wyoming, via Yellowstone, Montana, Idaho, and Washington state. On the way back, we went through Idaho, Utah, Wyoming and finally back home in CO. Our experience was similar to others. Gas stations were open, fast food was open although only drive thru. For this trip we did a combination of reservations ahead for motels while on other days we stopped randomly at a motel. Everybody had rooms available. Yellowstone was not as busy as the other times we have visited. Adherence to recommended guidelines due to the Covid19 varied from stop to stop.

Takes masks and your own sanitizers. Colorado was good about having sanitizers and masks available but some states did not have them available.

Were the restaurants also doing contact tracing? (taking your name and phone number in case one of their clients tested positive for Covid)

Were the restaurants also doing contact tracing? (taking your name and phone number in case one of their clients tested positive for Covid)

No, in the 12 days we were on the road this never happened.
Also it does not happen in the town where we live.

Out of curiosity, do most businesses where you live ask for name and contact info when you walk in?

... Out of curiosity, do most businesses where you live ask for name and contact info when you walk in?

Around the KC area, it seems hit and miss. We have been asked several times--and I happily complied--but just as often the staff never says a word about it and there is no sign-up sheet in sight.

Last month we went to Colorado taking back roads through Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah and Kansas. Back road traffic was lite but Colorado roads were busier than I expected.
Motels are open but don't expect much for breakfast. Most places could only do prepackaged items.
We visited Dinosaur NP in Utah and Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado. Both parks were busy.
All the restaurants we went to had inside dinning and some had good outside areas setup for eating because of the reduced inside capacity.
We ate at mostly privately owned restaurants.
Take masks and your own sanitizers. Colorado was good about having sanitizers and masks available but some states did not have them available.
Do a little research and avoid the hot spot locations.

+1 on all that. I've done 4 longer rides during the Pandemic months.

Add: People outside the larger towns don't seem to care about the Virus. Many, many people are not wearing masks and/or distancing. Just today I stopped for gas at a location that had a restaurant inside. Folks were making fun of me for wearing a mask. "You going out to rob a bank?"
One store made me pull down my mask and stare into the security camera before allowing me to put the mask back on and enter the store. Guess they were more worried about biker store robbers.

Many restaurants are still take-out only. And the ones that allow inside dining make me nervous. People are still too close together for my tastes.

3 weekends a go we hit a small non-chain restaurant that had seating set up for social distancing. We asked to seat a party of 12 and we were fine with them breaking us up. "no problem" they said and proceeded to push the distancing tables together to seat our 12 all together. Since then if the restaurant is too crowded, we walk.

I have done a lot of picnic lunches. Subway is my friend.

All the hotels have signs or flyers about their new cleaning/sanitizing procedures. But I don't trust them. I stopped by the hardware store and got a gallon of alcohol and made my own sanitizer. Carry it in a smaller, easier to handle, pump spray bottle and spray down the room myself.

+1 on all that. I've done 4 longer rides during the Pandemic months.

Add: People outside the larger towns don't seem to care about the Virus. Many, many people are not wearing masks and/or distancing. Just today I stopped for gas at a location that had a restaurant inside. Folks were making fun of me for wearing a mask. "You going out to rob a bank?"
One store made me pull down my mask and stare into the security camera before allowing me to put the mask back on and enter the store. Guess they were more worried about biker store robbers.

Many restaurants are still take-out only. And the ones that allow inside dining make me nervous. People are still too close together for my tastes.

3 weekends a go we hit a small non-chain restaurant that had seating set up for social distancing. We asked to seat a party of 12 and we were fine with them breaking us up. "no problem" they said and proceeded to push the distancing tables together to seat our 12 all together. Since then if the restaurant is too crowded, we walk.

I have done a lot of picnic lunches. Subway is my friend.

All the hotels have signs or flyers about their new cleaning/sanitizing procedures. But I don't trust them. I stopped by the hardware store and got a gallon of alcohol and made my own sanitizer. Carry it in a smaller, easier to handle, pump spray bottle and spray down the room myself.
Many brewerys are making hand sanitizers in qt. and gal.sizes now. So why make your own?

Out of curiosity, do most businesses where you live ask for name and contact info when you walk in?

Here in Vermont, when dining inside it is required to get at least one name of the party, so if there is an outbreak data is available to share with other visitors / contact trace.

Makes sense to me as we are seeing the covid wave spread north again.

Some towns in Colorado had parts of the street blocked off to provide seating for takeout.
Gunnison (20).jpg

Gunnison (21).jpg

Crested Butte.jpg

I was thinking about a trip to Glacier. The web site says the east entrance is closed. You can enter from the west and turn around. I usually stop at a great pizza place in Minneapolis but plan to bypass MN in the future. At least as long as the crazy's are in power. Only vote that counts is my pocketbook. I may plan a trip to the southwest in end of September early October instead.

I was thinking about a trip to Glacier. The web site says the east entrance is closed. You can enter from the west and turn around. I usually stop at a great pizza place in Minneapolis but plan to bypass MN in the future. At least as long as the crazy's are in power. Only vote that counts is my pocketbook. I may plan a trip to the southwest in end of September early October instead.

Not to derail the tread too bad - what MSP pizza place are you stopping at? I'm always looking for new places to ride to :)

On our next trip I'll look for sign-up sheets. Makes me wonder if Colorado had sign-up sheets but I didn't notice them.

The only place I have seen a sign-up sheet in Colorado was at Fay Meyer's Motorcycle dealership in Centennial(?)/Denver on Arapahoe.

If memory serves me right, the east entrance to Glacier is closed because it is in an Indian reservation and the local tribe chose to close the entrance due to massive cases of covid within their residents. We are headed to Glacier in a couple of weeks and will be using the western entrance. The NPS decided not to challenge the decision.

To your first comment - yikes!

To answer your question - anywhere where people will sit in one place for an extended period (like having breakfast, lunch and dinner) take the name of at least one person in your party. If you're by yourself, that would be your name. Because of the limited time and proximity to others, take out restaurants like Subway don't take names and neither do other retail outlets. In those places I've noticed a large percentage of people wearing masks.

Back