• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Transmission or Clutch.... or neither.

A

AKinINDY

1972 R60/5

Alright, so I'm not really certain what the problem here is, but before I take everything apart, I thought I'd get some more learned opinions.

Bike starts and runs just fine. Compression is a little low in one barrel, but probably nothing a little tune-up wouldn't fix. After letting the bike run for a bit, I get on and try to start off. Nothing. I shift into first and the bike barely moves. I noticed that I wasn't getting the expected 'klunk' when shifting into first. After a few movements into and out of neutral, I did hear the 'klunk' when shifting into first, but I still didn't get any power to the wheel.

I tried to shift up to some of the upper gears and I couldn't feel any of the gears. It felt like it would just stop right after neutral. This is what led me to believe the problem was in the lower end.

What would your troubleshooting steps be? Is it possible that I'm just imagining the clutch/transmission stuff and the problem is something like valves out of adjustment, timings off, etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, actually it is probably a combination of both. It sounds like input shaft, which connects the tranny to the clutch. I was riding home from work in March and all of sudden no go. Engine was running fine, the drive shaft was connected (You can see this by loosing the 2 clamps on the rubber gator between the drive shaft and tranny, you have 4 bolts there and I was told even with one there it will turn under power). After further examination by my wrench (he listened to it while rolling the bike and moving the shift lever it was making a "clanking" sound) he diagnosed it and ordered the parts. I needed a new input shaft and clutch plate. While there and the transmission was open he replaced some worn bearings. He told me in another 100K I would require a total rebuild with new gears and all in my tranny.
Therefore, technically without hearing it, your clutch is fine and your tranny is fine, but the input shaft that connects the two is worn out. Although the clutch plate was within tolerance the teeth on it were worn out and it needed to be replaced anyway). I kept my old parts just to serve me as a reminder. I wish I could show you. Now, don't take just my word for it, because I am a long shot from being a wrench. Good luck, better to find out in your garage than on the road.

Check the clutch, could be just flat worn out, or the splines in the disc, or on the input shaft could be gone. The flange on the gearbox output shaft has been known to come loose as well. Make shure there is alittle free play at the clutch relese lever, back of gearbox, and at the lever on the bars, before you start riping things apart.

Ken G.

shifting issues are never going to be engine related- shifting is the province of the clutch and/or transmisison (except for shifting clunkiness caused by upshifting at too low an engine rpm).

Back