• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tranny woes

dadodirt

Bike-2001 R1150GS
Miles-78,500
Symptoms-Low speed rattle of transmission. Sounds like first and second. Not slipping out of gear, yet.
Question-Where is a good place to get a rebuilt transmission or where is the best place to send one to be rebuilt.

I have a local BMW wrench doing the removal, installation. He will need to send it somewhere.

Thanks in advance.......

Have him contact Tom Cutter (tpcutter@aol.com) at the Rubber Chicken Racing Garage. Tom has a reputation for doing it right.

What indication do you have its the transmission? Have you drained and checked the oil for contamination? I dont know but it sounds to me more likely its a clutch problem. :dunno

No, I haven't drained it yet. It has a small leak, tranny fluid.
If it was a clutch problem the sound would most likely go away when the clutch lever is not being touched. The sound continues after clutch is let out.

Bike-2001 R1150GS
Where is a good place to get a rebuilt transmission or where is the best place to send one to be rebuilt.
It might depend on where you are. There are a handful of good independents who do tranny work. I do this work and have a couple of 6-speed parts trannies for donor parts if needed.

Probably no one does a lot of 6-speed work because it's rarely needed. Stripped input shaft splines are probably the leading cause for opening up a 6-speed, unlike the 5-speeds which have to be opened up for worn internal parts.

Well, after a warm up and drain of the transmission there are small chunks of metal. Looks like another transmission.

New question
Find a used transmission, have someone rebuild the existing transmission, or purchase a factory rebuild.

Back