• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Traction Concerns on Sealed Concrete Floors with an R1200RT

Hi All,

(Not sure if this is the best place to post. Please move if needed)

I have a new concrete floor in a large barn I am considering sealing with Siloxane/silane. Will this create a slippery floor risk for a large motorcycle?

Thanks in advance!

I would think yes, that could make the surface somewhat slippery.

Have you considered mixing some sand in with the sealer before you apply it?

Yes it would.
The concrete floor in our warehouse is polished and is slippery, so we have to put a thick piece of cardboard under the center stand otherwise the bike won't come off of it and can get pushed around for a bit..:laugh

I would think yes, that could make the surface somewhat slippery.

Have you considered mixing some sand in with the sealer before you apply it?

The silicone-based sealers typically soak into the concrete to create a waterproof, somewhat stain proof surface. I am not sure is sand or grit would adhere.

The quickest low-speed low side I’ve ever had on my GS was on the concrete floor of an underground parking garage, with almost zero application of throttle. So yes, sealed concrete floors can be very slick with normal tires. And bikes slide forever once downed on sealed concrete.

Most ordinary sealers (like Thompsons, etc) won’t retain grit over time. Epoxy coatings give you the option of adding some very, very fine grit to the mix but not a good fit if you’re planning on being able to clean the floor with mops or brooms—I’ve had that experience in one lab I set up.

Best,
DeVern

Hi All,

(Not sure if this is the best place to post. Please move if needed)

I have a new concrete floor in a large barn I am considering sealing with Siloxane/silane. Will this create a slippery floor risk for a large motorcycle?

Thanks in advance!

Yes. I've been in the pits at a couple track days when it's been raining. Both times, people came in out of the wet, hit the brakes and dropped their bikes, sliding into garages.

I had a home in Mass. with a Ben Moore Silicone concrete stain and while it was impervious to any chemical, if it was wet, it could be slick.

You know those big plastic stripes they put down on roads for crosswalks and turn arrows? It can be slick like those.

Yes, it’s going to be slick. What is your reason for sealing? I had my detached unheated garage floor poured 30 years ago and it’s still like new, not a crack, no spalling, scaling, nothing. If your contractor was a concrete guy, then he should have known and done what was needed for your area.

I do have work experience with expensive grip paint, the type the Navy uses on their aircraft carrier decks, and that would work on a slippery surface, but let me tell you, 40 years ago it was $300-$500 a gallon.

Concrete is frequently sealed and IMO, it's a good idea- in general. If you are not sure of the best sealer to use, I can suggest a call to White Cap- https://www.whitecap.com/brands Formally A.H. Harris.
As you mentioned the floor was new, it may be good to ask the concrete contractor that finished the floor and mention your concerns. I have used a number of products and have to say, I liked 30% solids polyurethane gym Koter but have used the milky white water based products.
Back to the way to eliminate being slippery......I have found that coatings are short lived. I can suggest making a parking/maintenance spot for your bike out of 1/4" OSB- unpainted or a suitable rubber (thin) mat. Either the OSB, T-1-11 or plywood with the rougher side up works well and can be replaced easily when needed.
OM

Spend the $ to mix in anti-skid from Menard’s or such with epoxy of you choice. You can limit area of application if you desire. Will protect falls of sliding motorcycle tires as well as people.

"The silicone-based sealers typically soak into the concrete to create a waterproof, somewhat stain proof surface." This, the product will penetrate the concrete surface. As long as the surface is dry, I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference. Just do a test spot in a corner first.

My shop floor has an epoxy coating. Is it slicker than bare concrete? Yes. But on the other hand I don't practice figure 8's in my shop. Minimal consideration is all it takes to keep the motorcycle upright. I have never had an issue.

Last edited:
I will be the odd man out. When we bought our house in Kansas the attached two-car garage had a very smooth concrete floor. It had the centerstand sliding problem and my shoes had a traction problem when moving bikes around.

The property also had a 1,200 square foot pole barn type shop building. Half of it was finished into a band practice room with a concrete floor, insulation, HVAC, etc. The other half had a gravel floor. I had a concrete floor poured for the rest of the shop building. Based on my experience with the floor of the attached garage I had the concrete crew use a broom finish on the new shop floor. I have absolutely no regrets in doing this. Tires grip, my boots grip, the centerstands stick and don't slip.

Last edited:
Siloxane is an ingredient in concrete sealers, so my answer is, it depends. What exact product are you intending to use? Properly applied I dont think you'll have an issue.

Thanks all. Great feedback.

I realize there are a multitude of products one can use and more money means better durability etc. The purpose was to improve cleanup, protect the car bays from calcium chloride damage and minimize that concrete dust that happens from unsealed concrete. This product was the one I settled on https://www.eaglesealer.com/natural-seal but also considered densifiers (sodium silicate).

I spoke to a person that makes floor sealers. He made a few valid points. If one uses silane/siloxane (silicone) it repels water and does nothing for staining. It will reduce dust but if oil or solvent is spilled, it soak right into the silicone sealer making it almost impossible to remove with water. He suggested a coating urethane or epoxy with grit as other mentioned for a shop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shop flooring, plastic or rubber mats to go under your bike?

I spoke to a person that makes floor sealers. He made a few valid points. If one uses silane/siloxane (silicone) it repels water and does nothing for staining. It will reduce dust but if oil or solvent is spilled, it soak right into the silicone sealer making it almost impossible to remove with water. He suggested a coating urethane or epoxy with grit as other mentioned for a shop.

Does anyone have any recommendations for shop flooring, plastic or rubber mats to go under your bike?

We just moved and I contracted with these folks, who use something other than a pure epoxy. Astonishingly, they applied it in a single day from grinding to application. It's been down about 6 weeks or so and looks great.

The airhead leaked some trans fluid onto the floor and it came right up and a little WD40 got the residue off. I don't have much experience with how it works when it's wet and it's just starting to be the wet season here, but I'm happy with it.

https://www.garageliving.com/products/garage-flooring

For the airhead, I'm probably gonna wind up putting an old full size baking sheet down until I figure out where it's leaking from. Seems to be the rubber boot between the trans and the final drive.

Back