• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Too Hot in SE for the National

How about Birmingham, Alabama area? It would be awesome if we could have it at Barber's Motorsports Park. Just sayin'...

The RA had a great rally there just after it opoened and I had a ball. The MOA looked at it around that time but it was not suitable because of the size of the rally. It was the perfect size for the RA. Also, the RA rally was later in the year than the MOA rally and it was much cooler than in July.

... The MOA will not hold a National in GA/FL because it is to hot there in the summertime. Funny how many BMW riders favor the GS model which people ride around the world (some people) but they could not possibly ride to Florida in the summer because it would be TO HOT! I know there is a rally site committee, etc but in the end a very few handpicked people make the decision. Why not put it up to a vote of the members?

I am going to insert a couple of facts here....

Several years ago the board voted to consider all valid rally sites, regardless of what state they are in. This includes your fine states of Georgia and Florida.

If you have a valid rally site that you believe could accommodate our event, please reach out to the Rally Site Selection committee, and they will pursue your suggestion. To learn more about what it takes, please see this LINK.

That being said ... about 25 years ago or so, we had the National Rally in Lake Wales. Approx 2000 people attended, and most stayed in the hotels.

Would it be a good idea to return to that region, if those results are repeated? :dunno

I camped at the rally with my nephew from Cottage Or. and three guys from Vancouver B.C. They were dying from the heat while this Calif. boy laughed it off. (I've seen 117 where I live in Cloverdale.)
It all depends what you're used to.
I guess they could always hold the rally somewhere in the middle like Kansas and everyone could wear out just the middle of their tires. :p

I guess they could always hold the rally somewhere in the middle like Kansas and everyone could wear out just the middle of their tires. :p

I resemble that remark! But what you fail to understand is that we keep our tires rounded by riding across the wind.............back and forth.:)

But what you say makes a lot of sense. Think about it. The best riding is East and West of us, half the people going to a rally on either side of the country have to pass thru, we have great GS roads, and the beer tent would make a fortune 'cause its hot and the riding sucks if you have a road bike.:wow

Tom

barber would be awesome, but it just does not have what we need for exhibition and seminar facilities unless we erect very expensive tents. and we can't do that in their parking lots since they don't permit spikes through asphalt. they are *very* particular about their facility and rightly so. we also cannot sell beer there. (personally, i would toss all this because the facility is just so excellent otherwise)

i have been looking around birmingham and huntsville, pickings are slim. are you aware of any? we need good riding (to/from and hopefully at), camping, expo space, grandstands, hotel rooms, beer license. extra points for GS riding, shade, paved areas for RPU, etc..

one possibility is Talledegha Motor Speedway.

what is your opinion on that?

ian
rally site search team

Yeah they are very particular about their facility. Has it been presented to them before? I know they have a lot of large events there like the Vintage festival.

As far as Talladega Motor Speedway, That would be a nice too. They don't have any trees though so no shade.

Visian, how about the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales Louisiana. It's a large facility and caters to lots of events. Lots of parking and covered areas with large enclosed buildings for vendors. It's next to a large Factory Outlet mall and a new Cabellas. Lots of eateries in the area and it's in between Baton Rouge and New Orleans (about 25 miles from BR and 60 miles from New Orleans. Nice riding areas just north of Baton Rouge and all of the Cajun culture you can stand in any direction. Just a suggestion.

Ian, here's a link for the Lamar Dixon Expo Center. Since you're on the site selection committee just thought you would like another site to check in to. I know it's usually hot down here in July but we've actually been cooler than some of the states in the northeast and northwest lately. And I can promise that anyone who attends will pass a good time yeh:groovy
http://www.lamardixonexpocenter.com/

Race tracks:(

We did this at Laguna Seca, California and I found it a really bad site for a rally! Only folks that enjoyed it were racetrack buffs! No shade, no facilities, rally tents everywhere. We've done much better since:), by far. Florida was a very long time ago and was a flop, but who knows. I really like Ocalla and Gainesville areas:), even Tallahassee. The panhandle beaches are awesome too:). Give us a place/pool to cool off, like Fredricksburg had and we're IN for any sight with a POOL:) like that year in Texas. Texas has some BIG pools:). Spread the sunblock and find a sight South along the beaches would be exceptional. Randy"Polarbear".

Ian, here's a link for the Lamar Dixon Expo Center. Since you're on the site selection committee just thought you would like another site to check in to. I know it's usually hot down here in July but we've actually been cooler than some of the states in the northeast and northwest lately. And I can promise that anyone who attends will pass a good time yeh:groovy
http://www.lamardixonexpocenter.com/

And Ian, dis man...he knows of what he speaks...every time I have been down there wit him...we do pass a good time! ahhhh eeeeeeeee :wave

La. cook'in:)

Creole is a Americana Great Experience indeed:). I'm for this anytime too. For a "Polarbear", thats say'in some'tin yeah:)....I'll guarantee we can do some "crawdads" in large numbers too! Randy

XPLOR the swamp!

...and John Fogerty as entertainment.

F273-PO.jpg

I'd be there.

Creole is a Americana Great Experience indeed:). I'm for this anytime too. For a "Polarbear", thats say'in some'tin yeah:)....I'll guarantee we can do some "crawdads" in large numbers too! Randy

Randy, we could fry up a mess of shrimp too. It won't take as long cause now they come "pre oiled":lol

Back