• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To (wind)shield, or not to shield? (R80RT)

tyro

It's been quite hot around Seattle the past two weeks (high 80's to low 90's). Riding has been fine, but creeping along in our traffic with the sun beating down is bad. I decided to take the windshield off. What a difference. No only am I cooler but the bike seems to fly. It's like swimming naked - you don't realize what you've been putting up with until the swimsuit comes off. It's like someone lit a fire under the bike. Some of that is probably an illusion created by the all wind now hitting me, and the added noise, but there has to be less wind resistance too. I think I gained about 3 mpg in gas mileage (from 35 to 38, roughly 10%).

Come Fall, I'll want a windshield back, and I'm looking for an alternative to the one I took off, which is a replacement made by Gustafson. It's very sturdy and nice to sit behind with the helmet shield up, but I'm not looking forward to pushing that barn door again. I'm open to suggestions for compromise, if there are any. An R80(100)RS has a much shorter wind screen. What's that like? Clear Shield makes one with a vent in it that seems clever. How are those? Has anyone tried cutting the corners off a standard windshield? Would that help at all? Thank you for any and all shared wisdom.

Peter

It's been quite hot around Seattle the past two weeks (high 80's to low 90's). Riding has been fine, but creeping along in our traffic with the sun beating down is bad. I decided to take the windshield off. What a difference. No only am I cooler but the bike seems to fly. It's like swimming naked - you don't realize what you've been putting up with until the swimsuit comes off. It's like someone lit a fire under the bike. Some of that is probably an illusion created by the all wind now hitting me, and the added noise, but there has to be less wind resistance too. I think I gained about 3 mpg in gas mileage (from 35 to 38, roughly 10%).
In warm and hot weather, no windshield is the only way to ride, IMO.

That's why I have been riding only my 1971 BMW R75/5 lately. It has no fairing or windshield and it's the bike I enjoy most during the summer. I thought my 38 MPG was poor, but I guess it's about normal for an airhead.

My cold weather bike is my Triumph. That thing averages more than 50 MPG and has better than a 300 mile range on a tank. I guess we cannot expect that from 1971 technology, but my old airhead is my most fun bike in the warm and hot weather.

-Don-

I have a nice Parabellum on my RT. They can be ordered in varied heights and tints, too. In my case the big difference over the o.e.m. is being able to take it on and off by just using the (5) screws on the base of the shield. Very convenient. Really nice shields in my humble opinion. Cheers.

The good, and bad of it, the RT's fairing is one of the best fairings made at blocking wind. The RS is pretty much the same, except you get a full blast of air in the helmet. Having lived in Texas for years riding both bikes, I found the best way to keep cool was a second bike, one without a fairing. That said, I liked the height of the factory windscreen, it allowed me to look over the top of it, and get a bit of air too. The RS windscreen will not fit the RT, too bad, because it would have made a nice summer accessorie. I often took my lowers off too, but it did not make that much of a difference.

Back