• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Tread Depth ?

Looks like I'll keep the tires a bit longer but I'm tempted to replace the front before heading to Lebanon.

Excellent idea. Do the rear while you're at it.

My personal rule of thumb regarding tires is: If I think I need new tires then I need new tires.

Excellent idea. Do the rear while you're at it.

My personal rule of thumb regarding tires is: If I think I need new tires then I need new tires.

My original (paranoid) question about replacing the tires goes back to 2007. I asked a local shop if my tires needed replacing and I was told no. A few days later I left late on Friday for the Finger Lakes Rally. Didn't get far and pulled into a motel for the night. The next morning at the gas station that was next to the motel, I checked my tire pressure and if necessary, to top the tires up. Unbelievably, the front tire thread appeared to have disappeared overnight. Ever since, I usually tend to change the tires sooner rather than later.

Twice when I was not proactive, it was necessary to have new tires installed while on a trip. Both times, the cost of those tires and installation far exceeded what I normally pay locally.

Change a few tires, always get the "how far can I go?" or similar questions. I usually respond with "if it were me..." Usually it's "dude, buy a tire!"

Some folks measure 32nds, some look at wear bar closest to center, some just like new shoes before a trip.
I do a combo depending on bike and plans.
Just ordered a new set for TN, even though current set could get me there and home...barely. Thing is, I don't ever know how long the trip home will be. I do have a clue how long a set will go on average on this bike and plan around that. Seems once you have a machine you dislike buying tires on the road.

I had so many Hold for later tires I finally had to be picky as to what was reasonably going to be used by that person or give them to folks who had weak tire budgets or just trying to get home. Some of the HoldForLater tires pass their goody date by the time the owner wants to use them and they go to the recycler.

It always seems to me that the last few 32nds wear much faster than the first few.

I've unknowingly worn one down to the threads after it looked good in the morning and 500 miles later it was toast.

Don't forget your Shoe Goo

I just noticed that Michelin is giving a $65US discount if you're going to the Rally and you pre-buy your tires from a particular supplier. If one is a Michelin Man (prefers Michelin tires) then it might be worthwhile to ride to the rally on old tires (provided you can safely make it) and come home on new ones. Details are in the current ON magazine.

Hopefully they have the same deal in Great Falls next year.

. Seems once you have a machine you dislike buying tires on the road.

Except for having tires mounted at your place I find getting new tires on a trip a hassle.
Buying tires on the road also costs more than what I pay at home.

Back