• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire pressure monitor problem on 14 R1200RT

Fridy

Rider
My warning light will come on showing the front tire to be flat and stay on sometimes for 5 minutes , sometimes 3 days before going off , all the time pressure by gauge will be 36 lbs . Has anybody else had this problem ?

I'm not intimately familiar with these things, but I have to ask: Does it actually show "Flat" or does it indicate "Low"? Reason I'm asking: 36 psi (cold of course) is low...

Many will chime in about what pressures they run (please guys, save that debate for another thread or just don't), but maybe try looking at THE TIRE'S sidewalls and see what the TIRE MANUFACTURER recommends.

And maybe compare your gauge to a few others, just to confirm it's reasonably close.

Check the owner's manual for tire pressure recommendations for your bike. The pressure printed on the tire is the maximum allowable pressure at which the tire can be safely operated, regardless of what bike it is mounted on.

My warning light will come on showing the front tire to be flat and stay on sometimes for 5 minutes , sometimes 3 days before going off , all the time pressure by gauge will be 36 lbs . Has anybody else had this problem ?

I wonder if the receiver under the seat is bad? Is your bike still under warranty?

Reason I'm asking: 36 psi (cold of course) is low...

This is the recommended pressure shown in the manual for the front tire on my 2016 R1200RS.
The factory TPM should not show a warning at 36 PSI on a Wethead RS or RT. Not sure what the GS pressure is.

Always try the easiest thing first - add a pound or two and see if the light goes out. You may even discover an improvement in handling and increased tire life. If it doesn't, try 40 or 42 pounds (the "Max Cold" on many modern tires) and see if it goes out. If it still doesn't, then you have an electronics problem.

It's almost comical that das faktory hasn't revised their "recommendations" since the days of the oxen-drawn cart. But this is similar to seats, windshields, shocks, and oil - the owner is going to change it anyway.

When you check the tire pressure on the dash does it show a low number for the front tire or show _ _
If it shows two dashes instead of a number, the TPM battery may be bad.

This is the recommended pressure shown in the manual for the front tire on my 2016 R1200RS.
The factory TPM should not show a warning at 36 PSI on a Wethead RS or RT. Not sure what the GS pressure is.

I have a '15 GSA, the recommended front tire pressure is also 36 PSI.

If you have access to a GS-911 it could help and/or if the bike is under warranty let the dealer check it. The use of the GS-911 for this won't effect any limits by Vin number.

Jay

I'm not intimately familiar with these things, but I have to ask: Does it actually show "Flat" or does it indicate "Low"? Reason I'm asking: 36 psi (cold of course) is low...

Many will chime in about what pressures they run (please guys, save that debate for another thread or just don't), but maybe try looking at THE TIRE'S sidewalls and see what the TIRE MANUFACTURER recommends.

And maybe compare your gauge to a few others, just to confirm it's reasonably close.
I had a slow leak during a trip and had to continually top off the pressure. In the process I got first hand knowledge about the TPM warning light. It comes on when the pressure is down to about 15 psi. Just being a few psi low is not sufficient to trigger the warning, it has to be really low.

I parked it for 5 days and when I got ready to leave, the pressure was down to about 10 psi. I used a Slime pump to get the pressure up to about 25 psi, then rode to a gas station to top it off. Later, I tried adding air in one station only to realize that their compressor was not running. But I didn't realize it until I had bled off air down to around 10 psi. Fortunately, there was another station on the other side of the highway, a very short ride away. The Slime pump seems to max out at about 25 psi, but is good in emergencies. After the trip, I had the leak fixed.

Later, I tried adding air in one station only to realize that their compressor was not running. But I didn't realize it until I had bled off air down to around 10 psi.
Funny, I had the exact same experience last fall. I too had a slow leak on a long ride far away from home. My pump had a difficult time fully pressurizing the tire so I went to a gas station. I had my helmet on and couldn't hear the air. Lost air just like you. I have since bought a BestRest pump which I hope performs better than my other one.

Funny, I had the exact same experience last fall. I too had a slow leak on a long ride far away from home. My pump had a difficult time fully pressurizing the tire so I went to a gas station. I had my helmet on and couldn't hear the air. Lost air just like you. I have since bought a BestRest pump which I hope performs better than my other one.

Voni calls this "changing the air in the tire."

I have had a very similar experience to the OP. I have a 2015 RT and last winter, I noticed that numerous times the front tire pressure would not appear on the TPMS readout. The only thing I would see for the front tire was "- -". The rear tire seemed to read correctly. The sensor in the wheel will only begin to transmit after a certain speed (there is a discrepancy in the manual in that in one section it states 19 mph and in another section it states 6 mph). The first time it happened and I noticed it, I stopped and checked the pressure. The pressure in both tires was nominal. On another day, same situation as before and this time I continued on; after some period of time the BIG RED WARNING triangle appeared. I stopped and checked the pressure and as before, both front and back were well within normal ranges.

There is supposed to be a separate caution/warning icon that appears when the TPMS battery is weak. I have never seen this icon appear. Eventually, the faulty fault (probably overly redundant to refer to it that way), went away and everything seems to be working again. Based on everything I experienced, I have to assume that it is the TPMS receiver on the bike. I had wanted to bring it in to the shop before it dropped out of warranty but was not able to do so. Now that it is winter again, I'm looking to see if will happen again. Though I may not be able to nail down the problem for this intermittent fault, at least if it happens again during the cold weather, I will know that it is temperature related.

Back