• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Help

OK, got the Michelin tubes and gave it a try. Installed tubes and tire on front wheel, put the air pressure to it and I think bead has seated, I think. The bead moved out to the rim all around the tire and it looks like it traveled out evenly but, there was no loud POP like I expected. So, I deflated the tire and squeezed the tire all the way around between my knees as hard as I could and I couldn't get the bead to push inward anywhere around the tire. My question is can I assume the bead is seated even though there was no POP? When seating a tubeless tire with an inner tube installed would you always get the POP when the beads seat?

I really want to learn as much as I can about the art of changing motorcycle tires myself because beemer dealers are few and far away and off brand shops are not looking good especially where I live as in there just aren't any and they do not like to work on beemers. The local Yamaha dealer told me he not only doesn't work on them but he doesn't stock my tire sizes and he doesn't like to install tires that he didn't sell. Then he tried to sell me a Yamaha:banghead

It doesn't always pop. If properly lubricated it can just quietly slide into place.

There should be a moulded ring visible near the wheel, all the way around the tire which you can use as a visible indicator that the tire is seated evenly.

It doesn't always pop. If properly lubricated it can just quietly slide into place.

There should be a moulded ring visible near the wheel, all the way around the tire which you can use as a visible indicator that the tire is seated evenly.

You are correct about the molded ring around the tire and this ring is the same distance from the rim all the way around. I am totally convinced that my problem had nothing to do with powder coating and everything to do with the made in China inner tubes I bought. Nothing like Michelin quality I guess.:whistle

Oh, just finished seating the bead on the rear tire and this one produced two load POPS.

I have learned much from this experience and I feel confident in my tire changing abilities. I use the Harbor Freight machine together with a mojo bar. Now I have changed tires on both my '81RT and '04RT. This has paid for my equipment investment especially considering where I live which is nowheresville:banghead
Soon the snows of winter will come and I will be reduced to the status of human snow shovel:banghead :banghead :banghead

The rumor is true; some of us are misguided, but we are going!

Back