• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire feedback Mich. VS Dunlop ???

yerguy

It's time for a new set o' shoes on the ol' Beemer. I've become a bit of a fan for the Avon Storm model but even with that deep rear tread, I'm still slightly disappointed in the mileage before replacement.

Dunlop and Michelin both have a new dual compound model that promise longer life.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced either the Dunlop Road Smart or the Michelin Pilot Road2 ?? I'm leaning towards the Michelin based of a recent side by side comparison that the Michelin won.

But I'm still curious what either of these are like to ride on. Handling characteristics, tendacy to follow road irregularities, etc.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Dan'l

Both are very good tires. The Dunlop is a little quicker handling (quicker than I prefer) than the original Pilot Road. The Pilot Road 2 should last longer than the Roadsmart, but it costs a lot more. It may be a case of paying 20% more to get 10% more life.

I can't speak for the Michelins, but I do like the Dunlop Road Smarts. I put a set on my RSL last year, and they are holding up quite well.

Frank is right they are quick handling tires, allowing you to change lines quickly and easily, but they also stick like glue (even in the rain); speaking of rain, I haven't noticed the ubiquitous rain grooves affecting them either. Also, low speed cornering is much easier than the old Z4s I had before; in fact, these Road Smarts make the Black Bee feel significantly lighter--almost like my old '74 Commando (One of the bikes I wish I had never sold!).

Of course, I haven't worn these tires out yet:dunno , so I don't know how they'll act at the end of their life.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Pilot Road 2

Just put a new rear Michelin Pilot Road 2 on and rode it 180 miles in the rain and the snow from Denver to Steamboat this afternoon. Could not tell a difference from the Metzeler Z6 which also sticks like glue in the rain. I'm hoping for better mileage from the Michelin and perhaps better performance in gravel which I will be riding in nothern Satkatchewan. Haven't tried the Dunlop, the new rear Pilot Road 2 was $169 plus delivery for my 2004 RT. Steve

bmduyou...

Currently a '95' 1100RS but hopefully an '04' 1150RT within the next year if/when I can find a really nice one at a reasonable price.

Steve (BMorleyW)...

That's a great price for the rear PR2. So far all the pricing I've seen has it in the $220-$235 range. Can I ask where you bought it??

Last edited:
The Pilot Road 2's are a stunningly good tire.

I did a write up on them last summer. I'll see if I can find the link.

Tom

These guys have gotten great reviews on another web site and quoted me some very competitive prices.

Web site is not great, but just call them and get personal service.

www.twobrotherstires.com

Back