• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BCR/1100S First ride impressions.....and a question at the end

There were very active discussions years ago on the Pelican site regarding those Blackholes. Unanimous consensus was "elephant butt ugly". Very few, if any reports of actual performance, iirc. Most who tried to contact RBRacing said it seemed like they really didn't want to sell you anything.

Where you been? :wave

Found a few of those discussions as well and agree on not being the prettiest piece of hardware ...but interesting nonetheless.

Ah! Revival and discussion of my question! I have no plans to run out and remake the Laser, but it did seem curious to me. I'm not overthinking it, I'm just verbose. Life is too short to worry about a few horsepower here or there or even read all the oil threads, but never too short to waste time on a forum discussing the arcane:)

I don't even know what is in my bike BC, but I do know, whatever oil is there, it isn't good enough. :wave
I also know it's not showing up in the window, so it's time for a change. What should I put in?:jester

I also know it's not showing up in the window, so it's time for a change. What should I put in?:jester

When I change the oil in any of my cars, I save the old stuff in a big container in the garage. I figure that if I let that oil "rest" for awhile, then in 2 or 3 months its probably ready to go back to work. So then I put it in my bike. Depending on what car had its oil changed last, my bike either gets 5W-20 regular or 5W-30 synthetic.

:laugh

When I change the oil in any of my cars, I save the old stuff in a big container in the garage. I figure that if I let that oil "rest" for awhile, then in 2 or 3 months its probably ready to go back to work. So then I put it in my bike.

bsflag.gif

:rofl:rofl

OK, alright already with the rape seed oil jokes!

Next question: Is there any way to fix this short of buying a new switch and it's associated "sub harness?"

ignition%20light%20switch_zpslwkzaicl.jpg

Is this even "glue-able?" Heat and some sort of fabricated piece to complete the "loop" are being considered. I'm not a watch maker....this thing is a pretty weak attachment point. To wit:

I ordered a used switch from BB, but the one they sent me had the same problem, a broken tang. They say they will send me a good one.....but it's not arrived yet. The price of a new one from BMW is not all that awful but I'd prefer not to disturb the factory wiring and wire ties and other associated harnesses. Iit's arcane how they run it around to Grandma's house and back again.

My switch works, it just won't stay in the barrel without being taped on or some other such funky kluge. My preferred solution would be fixing the tang so that the little screw they sourced from Breitling can do its job.

It seems like all my problems are related to broken plastic! It could be worse, I guess.

Next question: Is there any way to fix this short of buying a new switch and it's associated "sub harness?"...It seems like all my problems are related to broken plastic! It could be worse, I guess. .

Short answer: No - funky kluges excepted. If you've got both bits of the tang I'd be tempted to try Crazy Glue.

And you're right, it could be worse. You could be riding an RS. :D (previous statement made as part of the ongoing friendly feud I have going on in the "Pictures" thread)

Thanks, BC. I'm going to do the right thing. The replacement switch arrived today so no kluges. In it goes tomorrow. Then buttoned back up and it's off to spend some quality time with her....as long as it doesn't snow!

I am on your side BC1100S

Either Dark, Light side or a little in between the two the S bike is the way to go. I am already deep into the S bike thing, R 50S, R 69S, R 90S, R 100S and now I have replaced the, sold long ago R 1100S BCR #172 with another R 1100S BCR #68. I had an RS and sold it and to be honest I don't miss it at all. On the other hand I have missed my R 1100S BCR since the day I put it up for sale 10 years ago.

I am waiting for the check to be cashed, ink to dry and the bike shipped so that I can install that Laser Racing exhaust + chip I stuffed into the attic 10 years ago when I sold the #172 bike.

When # 68 gets here I will post a couple pictures of the S bike reunion. I guess the only one left would be a 1200S and or the beast, HP-2 Sport.

Nice collection! I'm envious!

I've owned two R90Ses and this BCS as far as "S" bikes go. Also, I garnered a fair amount of hours on all the /2s (including my personal college truck R26) when I worked for a BMW dealer in the '60s and of course, that included riding virtually every R69S we delivered as I uncrated them and frequently set them up. Later, when I became a salesman at the shop, I sold and delivered them as well. As a student I didn't have the money to own an R69S, or even an R50, but I often think about buying one, although every time I buy another bike I end up with something more current that I believe I will enjoy riding more and more frequently than a fifty plus year old machine. I very frequently regret selling my last R90S though, but to make my point clear, I'd probably buy an HP2 before going for an R90S or an R69S, although you never know.

I do have a slight preference for R60s because some of the smoothest and best running Earles fork bikes I experienced at the shop were R60s. Today, the difference in performance between an R69S and an R60 would barely make a difference to me in the way I'd enjoy them. I might even go for the right R60, not necessarily in preference but just because I remember them fondly. They were well regarded in our shop at the time, with some of us thinking they were BMWs best model seeing how they could be so smooth running and fuss free. Not to say that an R69S isn't at the top of the pecking order among collectors or that I wouldn't love one. I like the singles too, but that's probably for sentimental reasons. You know....flying low and slow......

Nice collection! I'm envious!

I've owned two R90Ses and this BCS as far as "S" bikes go. Also, I garnered a fair amount of hours on all the /2s (including my personal college truck R26) when I worked for a BMW dealer in the '60s and of course, that included riding virtually every R69S we delivered as I uncrated them and frequently set them up. Later, when I became a salesman at the shop, I sold and delivered them as well. As a student I didn't have the money to own an R69S, or even an R50, but I often think about buying one, although every time I buy another bike I end up with something more current that I believe I will enjoy riding more and more frequently than a fifty plus year old machine. I very frequently regret selling my last R90S though, but to make my point clear, I'd probably buy an HP2 before going for an R90S or an R69S, although you never know.

I do have a slight preference for R60s because some of the smoothest and best running Earles fork bikes I experienced at the shop were R60s. Today, the difference in performance between an R69S and an R60 would barely make a difference to me in the way I'd enjoy them. I might even go for the right R60, not necessarily in preference but just because I remember them fondly. They were well regarded in our shop at the time, with some of us thinking they were BMWs best model seeing how they could be so smooth running and fuss free. Not to say that an R69S isn't at the top of the pecking order among collectors or that I wouldn't love one. I like the singles too, but that's probably for sentimental reasons. You know....flying low and slow......

Wow! Some really great experience there!

Wow! Some really great experience there!

You're kind to say that. It was fun at a time when having a job at a motorcycle shop was pay enough. I often wonder what happened to the people I worked with at Dart Motorcycles.

Regarding "experience" what I've learned is: “How many things have to happen to you before something occurs to you?” (Apologies to Robert Frost) :)

I am envious of the experience

Not to high jack the thread but I would have to agree the R 60 is much smoother and better mannered compared to the R 69S especially when cold. If you want butter the R 50 is the way to go but you give up a lt of get up and go with them. Yeh I've had my R 60US since '85 and I have collect the parts and restore an original paint Granada Red R 60US. When the new to me S bike comes home I'll gather the clan and post a few pictures.

Back