• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaliphornia-
33 million under lockdown +-
A governor sending mixed mask messages.
A sheriff in Kaliphornia is on tv debating the procedure to institute the lockdowns.
It would seem that all this would alert people that something is going on......and for their own safety, precautions should be considered.
OM

I would like to add that Polio remains to be a significant problem and provides a lesson on our Covid-19 future. The world has aggressively been trying to put Polio away for over 50 years and have it mainly down to two countries, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Last year they performed 350 million Polio vaccinations for those two countries and some other hot spots. It would appear that we have billions of Covid-19 vaccinations in front of us before containing Covid-19. Eliminating Covid-19 will be much more difficult.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

In 2019 there were 176 wild cases of polio reported. All were in Afghanistan (29) or Pakistan (146). There were 378 vaccine derived cases reported in 20 countries, most in Africa and SW Asia.

I have to wonder if the current pandemic will lead to a resurgance of other diseases as a result of people either being unwilling or unable to obtain vaccinations, diagnosis or treatment for diseases like MMR, polio and tuberculosis.

It's in Wikipedia, so it must be true (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_eradication#2019)

In 2019 there were 176 wild cases of polio reported. All were in Afghanistan (29) or Pakistan (146). There were 378 vaccine derived cases reported in 20 countries, most in Africa and SW Asia.

I have to wonder if the current pandemic will lead to a resurgance of other diseases as a result of people either being unwilling or unable to obtain vaccinations, diagnosis or treatment for diseases like MMR, polio and tuberculosis.

It's in Wikipedia, so it must be true (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_eradication#2019)

On the Polio front there are already people not being vaccinated due to Covid.

It is my understanding that the vaccine derived cases are typically individuals that are in poor health due to nutrition or other factors which is understandable in the parts of the world where the problems are. Also, I believe a change in vaccines is being made to address the vaccine derived cases. This has been a bad year in that they paused vaccinations due to Covid-19 and so numbers are creeping up. One of the detection procedures they are using in some places for Covid that I believe came out of the Polio campaign is the testing of waste streams. It is possible to see where the virus is present by testing environmental samples at the point of discharge from a large facility or at a wastewater plant. When the Olympics was in South America they knew from environmental samples that someone attending the event had Polio.

I remember talking to a nurse years ago about Rotary being involved since 1984 on the Polio eradication effort (they started with 100 million USD) and she remarked that the Polio issue was so stupid. Her remark set me back. I asked her why is it so stupid? She answered. "we should have gotten rid of this so many years ago".

Any country that can put a person on the moon and keep certain domestic motorcycles from leaking oil should have mustered the where-for-all to end this.

We could then re-deploy those medical dollars elsewhere.

Here is where some of the Rotary people look for updates:

http://polioeradication.org/polio-today/polio-now/this-week/

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Vaccination Distrust

9A16CA5C-743F-47BF-BF2C-315A7F60A740.jpegE240B12F-82C0-4BD7-ADB2-7980FE23B933.jpegRemember they found Osama Bin Laden By collecting DNA using a Polio vaccination program this was good, but it also led to distrust of vaccination programs in Pakistan and I assume in other parts of the world
Did more research they followed a trusted courier and may have used polio vaccination program for to confirm info.

Remember they found Osama Bin Laden By collecting DNA using a Polio vaccination program this was good, but it also led to distrust of vaccination programs in Pakistan and I assume in other parts of the world

That sounds like a good reason for terrorists to avoid vaccination.

Doug

View attachment 81382View attachment 81383Remember they found Osama Bin Laden By collecting DNA using a Polio vaccination program this was good, but it also led to distrust of vaccination programs in Pakistan and I assume in other parts of the world
Did more research they followed a trusted courier and may have used polio vaccination program for to confirm info.

My understanding was that it was a Hepatitis B vaccination program used to catch Bin Laden but many of the workers that administered the Hep B program had distributed Polio vaccines in the past adding to the confusion.

Lot of reluctance to receive a vaccine in many parts of the world and to compound the problem many people have problems they are much more concerned about - water availability, food insecurity, violence.

Lots of moving parts.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

Getting a little further off topic, my understanding is the Afghani and Pakistani peoples' reluctance/resistance to vaccine programs had/has a lot to do with the physical retribution they would suffer from the Taliban as well as the misinformation sewn by them. I don't know this for a fact as I've never been there, I only know what I've read from people who have.

In North America and Europe there is no retribution risk - just idiots on the interwebs telling you not to vaccinate your kids.

I thought they found OBL by infiltrating the Jeff Dunham Fan Club and just looking at his address-

:eek

OM

Almost all other procedures are backed up everywhere due to Covid. Many people are dying waiting for treatment that otherwise would have been readily available.

The missus just went through a super ventricular tachycardia event yesterday with her heart rate up to 220! She needs to see one of 2 cardiologists in the province that do the right procedure. Who knows when that might happen. At least we are not overrun by covid, it's al bad enough without it.

The multi-county region in southwest Texas where we live just reached a positivity rate of cases per 100,000 population sufficient to once again suspend all non essential elective surgeries and other hospitalizations. The hospitals are out of intensive care beds and are also being denied patient transfers by other hospitals that too are out of room. I read a quote from a larger regional hospital CEO who said they were not going to accept patients that were just going to die anyway. The patients could just die in the small rural hospitals where they are. American Exceptionalism at its finest, no doubt.

I still have to come to grips with the concept of “we can’t make any money treating sick people”.
OM

I still have to come to grips with the concept of “we can’t make any money treating sick people”.
OM

Regardless of the nature of the business sector (e.g., selling vehicles, moving goods, proving medical services, etc.), corporations are required to act in a way that benefits the stockholders as a priority. In spite of the fact that we treat corporations as "persons" in the eyes of the law, the fact is that they are not, and thus do not (can not) feel or act on sympathy or conscience. The definition of doing the right thing is doing what is best for the corporation. It's not about people.

Unfortunately, those within the corporation (typically good people with good intention) are very limited in what they can do outside of this model. Thus we have industries that promote social programs (e.g., annual clean up litter in the park, food drive, etc.) while actively lobbying lawmakers to relax regulations that protect the community but impede profit margins. Health care is no different.

Regardless of the nature of the business sector (e.g., selling vehicles, moving goods, proving medical services, etc.), corporations are required to act in a way that benefits the stockholders as a priority.

It is true that corporations have a fiduciary responsibility to the stockholders. What is not absolute is for what time period: the next 90 days or the next five or ten years. The model where the CEO's bonus is tied to the next quarter is horribly flawed. Warren Buffet looks to the long term. Eddie Lambert (Sears) looks to the short term. Take your pick as to who you believe is doing the right things, or who you might wish to invest with. Meanwhile, the vulture capitalists continue.

Regardless of the nature of the business sector (e.g., selling vehicles, moving goods, proving medical services, etc.), corporations are required to act in a way that benefits the stockholders as a priority. In spite of the fact that we treat corporations as "persons" in the eyes of the law, the fact is that they are not, and thus do not (can not) feel or act on sympathy or conscience. The definition of doing the right thing is doing what is best for the corporation. It's not about people.

Unfortunately, those within the corporation (typically good people with good intention) are very limited in what they can do outside of this model. Thus we have industries that promote social programs (e.g., annual clean up litter in the park, food drive, etc.) while actively lobbying lawmakers to relax regulations that protect the community but impede profit margins. Health care is no different.

Back in the day, the medicine man was the guy who got the member of the tribe back to being productive so other members of the tribe didn’t have to tend to the sick member.
I still remember the Hippocratic oath.....but I’m :gerg
OM

You make a great case for publicly funded health care. But that's a discussion for another day.

Ivermectin is emerging as viable treatment for COVID. Treatment seems more than bridge to the vaccine because a virus never goes away.

That sounds better than injecting bleah to me. :)

:banghead

I watched all of that news conference, not just the clips the media wants us to see. Trump made a comment off the top of his head wondering about using Lysol.
Half joking he asked Birx if it would work and she said no.
And it was dropped.
For weeks the press kept saying Trump wants to try injecting Lysol or whatever the product was.
Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there that believe every word of the media.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back