• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Thinking of a new RT. Opinions please.

tubaguy

NYrider
I am a long time MOA member, but rarely post anything here. I've had an 1150R & a 1100RSL for many years. I sold them for a 2012 Moto Guzzi Norge GT8V. It has the right look, size, and awesome ergonomics and handling of any bike I've owned. Unfortunately, I have had many technical issues with it in the short period of time I've owned it. It left me stranded last week, and it only has 11,000 miles on it. So I think I want to come back to BMW, specifically the new RT.
So, I would like some opinions here. I know about the big recall, so I am looking ahead to a 2015 model, when that issue should well be resolved.
Are there any other issues that any of you might have heard about or experienced with these bikes? I know all new models have some glitches and kinks to be worked out, but I would like to hear about all of them so I can compare pros and cons. Thanks for your input.

I wouldn't worry about a '14 model - it's just a shock. I bought a first year CLC - put 86,000 miles on it before I was rear-ended. Only issue with that one was - they had to replace the rear shock - Ha! I've had 2 RT1200s - a 10 and an 11, bought both new, and the '14 is a totally different bike in many ways, all for the better. They had to replace the left switch cluster on both. None ever left me stranded, except for a burnt-out coil stick on the CLC. I'm waitin for the fix on my '14.

I wouldn't worry about a '14 model - it's just a shock. I bought a first year CLC - put 86,000 miles on it before I was rear-ended. Only issue with that one was - they had to replace the rear shock - Ha! I've had 2 RT1200s - a 10 and an 11, bought both new, and the '14 is a totally different bike in many ways, all for the better. They had to replace the left switch cluster on both. None ever left me stranded, except for a burnt-out coil stick on the CLC. I'm waitin for the fix on my '14.
How many miles did you put on it before you had to stop for the fix? How does if feel riding compared to the 2011/12, or previous models? There are tons of those for sale right now. Some of them are quite tempting.

About 360 miles. Better wind protection for rider and passenger (I no longer have to wear earplugs due to wind blast). Smoother, more powerful engine. Throttle response is immediate because of the fly-by-wire throttle. Lower to ground because of the redesign of the frame (moved battery from under the seat to further down below, allowing for a slightly lower frame at the seat level). Better control of drivers seat heat, grip heat and passenger seat now has three levels of heat. Has shift assist and hill stop. I'm probably forgetting something. Plus it's the first year for the new fairing, which will probably run 9 years or so. Side cases aren't so willing to get scratched up in a tip over because of the half-painted case. Let's see - factory brake light on trunk (accessory - but I've been rear-ended twice before, so that's a no-brainer. Gas struts on trunk, plus an electric light for interior of the trunk, which is nice for camping. Wider trunk, and if you lift up the carpet, a full-face helmet will still fit. I'm probably forgetting a few things.

About 360 miles. Better wind protection for rider and passenger (I no longer have to wear earplugs due to wind blast). Smoother, more powerful engine. Throttle response is immediate because of the fly-by-wire throttle. Lower to ground because of the redesign of the frame (moved battery from under the seat to further down below, allowing for a slightly lower frame at the seat level). Better control of drivers seat heat, grip heat and passenger seat now has three levels of heat. Has shift assist and hill stop. I'm probably forgetting something. Plus it's the first year for the new fairing, which will probably run 9 years or so. Side cases aren't so willing to get scratched up in a tip over because of the half-painted case. Let's see - factory brake light on trunk (accessory - but I've been rear-ended twice before, so that's a no-brainer. Gas struts on trunk, plus an electric light for interior of the trunk, which is nice for camping. Wider trunk, and if you lift up the carpet, a full-face helmet will still fit. I'm probably forgetting a few things.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions Joe. How accessible is oil changing? Do you have to take any plastic off? And since the battery is lower, is it a PIA to get to?

lower side panel (right side) comes off with two screws. There's the battery. Slips out the side. I haven't removed the battery. Dealer had a pig tail charging outlet already installed, as I noticed right before I was going to remove the battery. It's probably a bit more aggravating than the previous models where the battery was just under the seat. There's less plastic toward the front of the engine, so you probably wouldn't have to remove anything to change the oil - but don't quote me on that.

Dealers selling 2014 R1200RT's

Not sure if this will actually work out to be true.... but..
I stopped by and visited a dealer when I was on the road.. and for what it's worth he stated that they expect to sell the bikes bought back that were repaired 14's as used bikes with help from the fatherland.
He expected them to be sold with around a $ 3K price reduction..
After the shock recall fix the bikes should have no issues.. other that the clock on the warranty already having lost some time..
A pretty good discount for a bike that may not have many miles on it..
I'm not sure if he was speaking from a place other than his mouth on this subject... time will tell..

Back