• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"There are only two kinds of motorcyc riders"

One could say the same for cage drivers, "there are two kinds of drivers, those who have been in an accident, and those who will be."

It's a stupid saying. But then whenever I hear "There are two kinds of...." I know that invariably, whatever follows is going to complete a stupid statement.

:wave

(See Sig for MY stupid statement)

One could say the same for cage drivers, "there are two kinds of drivers, those who have been in an accident, and those who will be."

It's a stupid saying. But then whenever I hear "There are two kinds of...." I know that invariably, whatever follows is going to complete a stupid statement.

And I hear a version of that from pilots who fly only fixed gear aircraft....

"There are those that have landed gear up, and those that will".

~sigh~

Mainly comes from those pilots that CAN'T fly a plane that has retractable gear.

You do what you can to minimize the risk, but sometimes there are things that are completely out of your control.

Eh, I don't know.

I wholeheartedly agree with Voni in post #2.

Yet, after 35k street miles (modest compared to some), I had my first official "wreck" 6 weeks ago.

So, now I fit into the saying.

I wrecked, but I didn't mean to. What are ya gonna do?

Yes, I'm afraid he's right...

As moto riders we are involved in an inherently dangerous endeavor. I have ridden thirty years and spilled my share of times, although never with a serious injury. I have also had far too many close shaves with idiot cage drivers...you know, those little interactions that leave you standing on the berm shaking uncontrollably trying to figure out how you will ever get a leg over your machine again.

You can wear all the gear, stay alert, know your machine and take every safety class on record and still go down. Weather, roads, cages, and fate all conspire against you every time you ride.
My own to approach this is a kind of enlightened fatalism. Hope for the best, plan for the worst, wear the gear.

When I was young, I had no respect for motorcycles until I took one down. Amazing how it clarifies the mind and concentrates one on the task of staying alive.

Vio con Dios

JB

... I have adequate tread on my tires to be turning; he was down to the threads on both front and rear.

I once looked at my buddy's rear tire (HD), and noticed that there was NO rubber, three belts were worn through, exposing the forth. I commented that it was time for a new tire. His responce...'lots of life left in it...they are FIVE PLY!'
He eventually crashed and no longer rides.

I've only been hurt once to speak of. In October of 2007 a 19 year old drunk kid ran a red light, fleeing the scene of 2 other major injury DUI's. I'm still dealing with some of the effects of that crash. I spent 3 months bedridden in a nursing home and missed 7 months of work. Kid got 7.5 years :violin in the Penitentiary. I just participated in the Redmond 1000. It hasn't effected my enthusiasm to ride. I always ride ATGATT. Stuff Happens Sometimes.

Back