• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Studio: planning, demolition, building

Part 2.

Mud is thine enemy. Helikron hammered at it until midnight for day after day. It helped that he didn't get really rolling until noon. Breakfast is a serious affair in these parts! Tape and mud. Tape and mud.

253650864_97Ghy-M-0.jpg

253547922_at33b-M.jpg

At some point, I was simply useless. I'd been at it for weeks and needed to sit and stare. He worked.

The building began to take on a whole new personality. The main studio portion is just under 20' x 14'. The walls go from 9' to a bit over 13' at the peak. It's not a huge space, but it is a good size. It doesn't feel like a big space so much as it feels like you're tiny in a modest space. It's a combination of the proportions of the floor dimension and the height of the rafter ties. I like it.

253547433_EZwT4-M.jpg

we be philsophizin
253639132_mGDpu-M.jpg

253640592_h8yom-M.jpg

Another damn good day

Thank you, Mr.Scaffold

253639884_GWqGz-L.jpg

With lots of work left, I'd already chosen a wall color. :ha

Part 3.
Borrowing from myself (blog entry from early today):

I'm sitting at a desk made of a stout door blank. A cup of tea sits on a tacky magazine. A hammer sleeps on a shelf. The stereo plays whatever song the ipod spits out next. Just beyond the windows, a golden hummingbird hunts for flowers and plants silently roar into spring.When I shut the door, I step into a vault, comfortable chamber sealing me from the noises I didn't know I heard - the cars, the chattering neighbors swapping tales on a stoop, lawn mowers, renovations, and everything else that empties the silence. It's so very quiet. But the quiet isn't in the studio, it's in my head. For the first time in a year, I'm not pondering a point of construction, researching materials and vendors, or fighting my ponderous indecision on some detail that will live on well past our ownership of this property. There are plenty of details to wrap up - trim, siding, and so on - but for the real intent of this structure, I am done. It's now so very quiet.

<p>
263114335_897vV-M.jpg

<p>It's been weeks since we helped the mighty Burke get the rock up on the wall. Wanting the big walls to be cleaner than any sane person would care, I became one with the mud, feathering out each and every seam as far as I could manage. Soon nearly all the bare dry wall disappeared. Never ever ever underestimate how long it will take or how impossible it will be for the less experienced hand to achieve perfection. At some point I collapsed, tried to cough up an itchy lung and was swallowed by the dust. It was time to paint and move in.

<p>
263097485_FGQvD-M.jpg

<p>It seems almost preposterous that all this work, all this angst was over what in the end is two simple rooms. These nearly 450 square feet are smaller than many garages, smaller than those ignored rooms in many people's homes. But, as repeated elsewhere, for us these rooms are life changing. I don't know that the sternly grinning Martha Stewart or the adherents of the ever preposterous Feng Shui would approve of the space, but I do. The space is warm, it is welcoming, it is where I will spend the bulk of my waking time in the coming years.

<p>
263109183_W2k3w-M.jpg

<p>
263110684_kimH7-M.jpg

<p>
263112716_QPZbm-M.jpg

<p>
263111388_L6AB9-M.jpg

<p>
263102304_XodBo-M.jpg

<p>I'm nearly finished moving in. I open the door, breathe in the quiet, and almost tremble as I imagine the possibilities. Now if someone would just clean my neglected brushes, maybe I'll paint something.

263101861_LuNnP-M.jpg

First the dream, then the reality.

I have enjoyed watching the process.

You are a lucky man.

Thank you. :D

I'm very pleased with the results so far. I'm eager to get the trim and siding installed, but I'm also eager to not fuss over this building for a while. Besides, there are other projects that demand my attention.

I can't think enough the family and friends that have helped make this possible.

Back