• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The infamous R1200RT tool kit

Since new tires are soft, the only time I've had a flat was on a brand new rear. Drywall screw right in the center. Stopped at Wally World to pick up FRESH stringy thingys. Seems they go old while sitting in your tool kit. :banghead

I'm wondering, do any of you carry a tool kit in your car/truck? If not, why not?:dance

I'm wondering, do any of you carry a tool kit in your car/truck? If not, why not?:dance

I carry a few tools. Small socket set, combination wrenches, one each falt and Phillips screwdrivers, pliers. I also carry a plugging kit and Slime brand air pump (usually). There is a reason for that "usually" comment which entailed driving my old jeep 5 miles back out to the highway on the spare that only had a few pounds of air in it - but that's another story. :)

I have this Slime kit:
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-50001-Power-Sport-Smart/dp/B000M8SY0I

View attachment 53801

Lots of good info on this thread.
In preparation for my ride to Alaska this past summer I bought the same slime kit and I agree about getting better plugs and a reamer.
The other thing I found out as I was changing my tire at home using the same tools I would use on the side of the road is that the compressor in the slime kit put out so little air that I could not set the bead on the new Heidenau front tire. Since part of the Alaska trip would be on the ferry I planned on carrying ratcheting tie downs which I used around the tire to help set the bead. But still the Slime pump would not set it. After reading tons of reviews I ended up getting the Cycle Pump by Best Products.

6 inch adjustable wrench
needle nose
wire cutter,
zip ties
Magnetic spark plug socket
Socket extension
Full set of metric sockets
Full set of metric allen sockets
Full set of torx sockets
straight slot and philips driver
ratchet
pocket knife
tire kit and 12 v slime pump
a couple open end/box end wrenches
small breaker bar
Oil filter wrench and oil fill cap tool
spark plug coil puller
small funnel
Latex gloves for fluid change, and mechanics glove for other stuff.
Not really tools, but have come in handy, buckle type tie down and a couple nite ize adjustable bungee straps

...IMO, all bikes should have a pigtail to the battery for battery usage be it charging or power out. YMMV
OM

All my bikes have an SAE plug and most also have at least one DIN socket. However, for the R1200RTW I wanted something substantial enough to be able to easily jump-start the bike if needed. For that I have the Micro-Start Harness Kit from Antigravity Batteries and their Micro-Start XP-1.
http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-harness-kit/
HarnessKit400__31468.1452883971.1280.1280.jpg
The beauty of using this is that when connected directly to the bike's battery the Micro-Start Harness Kit provides me with the following:
- Jump-start capability without removing the side cover (the wire is proper heavy gauge unlike most SAE cables)
- Direct (by-pass the CanBus) power for items that draw more than the CanBus plug will handle like my Stop-n-Go pump
- Includes a MICRO-START to SAE Reducer that allows for hooking up standard (SAE) type battery charger or anything that needs a power source

I also have a Black Diamond Headlamp rather than a flashlight (up to 130 lumens). I've found that, for me, having both hands free and the light focusing where I'm looking is very helpful. I've even found occassions when working in the garage where this light is preferable to any of my workshop lights or flashlights. Plus it also has many additional uses. It recharges via USB, etc.
The Black Diamond ReVolt is a powerful, versatile, rechargeable headlamp for climbing, hiking, camping or any other time you may find yourself out after dark. With 130 lumens of power, the ReVolt easily spots anchors while you rappel in the dark, proximity lighting gives you a large area of light for hiking down the trail and a dimming feature lets you choose just the right amount of light for the task at hand. A three-level power meter keeps you from ever being surprised by dead batteries, and the ReVolt can run on standard AAA batteries in addition to the included rechargeable batteries.

- One TriplePower LED, two SinglePower white LEDs and two SinglePower red LEDs emit up to 130 lumens (max setting with alkaline batteries)
- Red night-vision mode has proximity and strobe settings, and activates without cycling through the white mode
- Sleek, low-profile design uses three Black Diamond AAA Rechargeable Batteries or standard alkaline or lithium batteries
- Settings include full strength in proximity and distance modes, dimming, strobe, red night-vision and lock mode
- Three-level power meter shows remaining battery life for three seconds after switching on headlamp
- IPX4: Storm proof—Tested to withstand rain and sleet from any angle.
5037-565_TTM00_view1_720x720.jpg
-

The power plugs fit BMW, cigarette, and 2-prong SAE connectors.
I've been carrying full torx and allen sockets 1/4" drive and 3/4" drive sockets since my first year of riding.
My photo of my tool kit shows that, granted it wasn't till I posted it till I realized how bad the photo was.

I'm guessing that you mean 3/8" drive sockets, not 3/4"... 3/4" would be a heck of a load to lug around even on a RT! :)

Newbie question re-front and rear wheel removal

Having just acquired an 09RT and never having owned a BMW before, I've found out I have to buy various torx and hex head drivers. Can someone please tell me the correct sizes required for front and rear wheel removal?

tia
Colin

Having just acquired an 09RT and never having owned a BMW before, I've found out I have to buy various torx and hex head drivers. Can someone please tell me the correct sizes required for front and rear wheel removal?

tia
Colin

Have a look at this file:

Attachments

• Torque2.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 76
Back