• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The First Watercooled BMW R1200RTP's delivered in the USA

Looks like a nice package-

IMG_0063.jpg

I see a number of departments doing the "fuzzy math" of leasing. It will be interesting to see how well accepted they are.
OM

When we compared straight up dollar spent for dollar spent, they saved just over $100K on the 5 bikes they bought over the 5 year period. When they re worked it, they got it to $5K per bike. Still a pretty significant savings.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when these wassermotors are finally surplussed out; the authorities electrics appear to be much more integrated than they were on the older bikes and it may well be a challenge to 'civilianize' one.

I'd love to have one to experiment with.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when these wassermotors are finally surplussed out; the authorities electrics appear to be much more integrated than they were on the older bikes and it may well be a challenge to 'civilianize' one.

I'd love to have one to experiment with.
I was actually thinking along those lines as well. I find the "stock" batteries a bit small for a police bike (and not much room for error by operators). I could well be that with some LiPo fancy battery and all the LED's, it really doesn't matter.
OM

I think the water cooling and wet clutch will make this the best police motorcycle yet. I suspect the wet clutch is much like the ones others have been using for decades. Replacement is quick and inexpensive. They also handle abuse better than a dry clutch.

Our Torrance PD just bought brand new 2008 Honda ST's last year. Apparently Honda could not give them away after the early stability problems. TPD had BWMs, then Harley's and now Hondas. Who ever gives them the best deal.

Our county police have had BMWs since about 2003. Currently they have six ranging in age from 2007 to 2012 or 2013, but they are hoping to add a water-cooled this summer. From the little I know about it, the WC sounds like a great vehicle for them. They go through some clutches, and of course it's an 11 hour job to replace one on the Hexhead. One hour on the WC.

The major issue with the hexheads wasn't that the clutches were less reliable than someone else's, but that you shouldn't slip the BMW dry clutch like the motor cops are used to doing with the Harleys. What was an issue was the fact that the clutch replacement was such a huge job time-wise. (11 hours as AntonLargiader states) I mentioned it before that my 2004 RT-P had it's clutch replaced by A&S BMW for the PD to the tune of $4,100. A couple of jobs like that and its no wonder they go back to Harley, at least for a few years

Priced right in Spain......

Just returned from Cordoba Spain yesterday, check out this low cost police cruiser...:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0628.jpg
    IMG_0628.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 98
Back