• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The “Beeg List” 1993 - 2024: RIP

It was the BMWMC mailing list, along with the Tech list under the umbrella of the IBMWR. We just received word it is being shut down after 30+ years.
I haven't seen a post from it in years, so no surprise, but at one point, it was the internet resource for BMW riders. I met a whole ton of folks on that list, including @PGlaves @Visian and others back in about 1995 or so. For a long time, it was how we met folks outside our own local clubs or social structures and during MOA Rallies, a photo under the IBMWR banner was a big deal. We even had folks that would route the banner around the country to folks that wanted it.

At one point in the late 90s, I remember someone posting an email from their cell phone, which they'd bolted up to some kind of tiny laptop thing that fit in their saddlebag. The very notion that you could post while traveling, without having to have a wired connection was revolutionary and I saw that kind of mobility first on the IBMWR. Maybe Ira Agins from down in NM was doing that?

RIP Big List. 🖖

From Tom Childers at the IBMWR says the following:

Just a minor correction, IBMWR is not shutting down completely, we are terminating the email lists (1000 members, no traffic in months) and the Marketplace, which is hardly used these days. I’m keeping the website up, with tech articles and links to resources, and we are figuring out how to migrate *that* content. But ibmwr.org has a home on the internet for now.

I joined way late, so there wasn't much traffic, but it has been to look at the archives occasionally when I had an older bike.

Back