• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Texas Reportedly Says No Polaris Slingshots

Nothing ironic there. If it has three wheels, it's a motorcycle. Period. Either way, the State gets it's vehicle reg money.

There is a vehicle rental shop here in Pismo Beach, California that has one; Pismo Beach is the only "drive-on" beach on the west coast, dune buggie rentals are big (small) business in the county. He claims it is the first "privately owned" Slingshot in the state of California (vs. "demo" machines). $400 per day gets you in it, so I"m out...

I will say one thing, in person, it is a BIG machine; with side-by-side seating, it had to be. I'll see if I can get some pics this afternoon.
The irony - to me - is that Texas claims to be a "free state" and California suffers under many, many regulations. (I have a house in Palo Alto.) But it is Texas that is keeping the Slingshot out and California lets it in.

Yes, it is a BIG machine. When I first saw one it was so big that I didn't recognize it.

The irony - to me - is that Texas claims to be a "free state" and California suffers under many, many regulations. (I have a house in Palo Alto.) But it is Texas that is keeping the Slingshot out and California lets it in.

Yes, it is a BIG machine. When I first saw one it was so big that I didn't recognize it.

I think both California and Texas are living up to their reputation. California embraces things that are strange, different or odd while Texas has a more traditional view.

My brother was at a TX Polaris dealer the other day and said they are approved sort of...a motorcycle license will be fine, but the law as written defining a saddle type seating arrangement has stalled the titling of them again. I looked at a TX Polaris dealer site earlier...NO Slingshot info anywhere?

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/11/18/texas-puts-three-wheeler-in-legal-limbo/

On another law taking effect today HB 3838

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillSummary.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=HB3838

If you take the three wheeler license option...you cannot use it for a two wheeler as it is a different endorsement.

Another part of this passed bill requires a bike to have passenger pegs and handholds if carrying a passenger. It was after a fatality of a young girl crashing in a curve hanging on the back of the operator who lost control.
More of an emotional bill from a grieving parent instead of better training and responsibility of operator with a passenger that is needed. the bill addresses it, but have not seen the training documentation yet.

My brother was at a TX Polaris dealer the other day and said they are approved sort of...a motorcycle license will be fine, but the law as written defining a saddle type seating arrangement has stalled the titling of them again.

Soooo...the dealer your brother spoke to is full of it. If you can't title it in Texas, then it's not approved, sort of or not.

Well - all this chatter got my curiousity up, so I went to inspect one on display at Cedar Creek Motorsports in Cedarburg, WI.

Gosh, that thing's the Abrams' tank of three-wheeled motorized machines! Basically, a monster-version the of T-Rex's that I once shared the Tail of the Dragon with one weekend some years back. Talked to the owners of several T-Rex's at Deal's Gap after I gassed up the RT - "...a blast to drive," but none of them had illusions that they were operating motorcycles.

In Wisconsin, a motorcycle - even a three-wheeled motorcycle - is defined by statute as the operator straddling a seat to operate. Won't be getting cycle status here. :deal

Soooo...the dealer your brother spoke to is full of it. If you can't title it in Texas, then it's not approved, sort of or not.

The day he went they had them on the floor, it was during an approval, then a few days later the news had a small clip of it NOT being approved....again:dunno
The Slingshot Forum has a recent official update , something to the effect of it "being close to resolved"...I doubt it.

This :thumb

I don't really care what they call it but if it gets sold ....:!:laugh

Looks like they are going to get licensed in some states....
After reading this discussion, I noticed one of them tooling down the street in Festus Missouri. Looks like Surdyke Yamaha is offering them for sale in Missouri.

At least two have sold in Pittsburg, Ks. A town of 20,000. I have a buddy waiting for an automatic version. They are a blast.

The problem with 50 different definitions is that your legally registered vehicle from state A may be illegal in state B, subjecting you to tickets, fines, or worse.

Maybe they will have to develop a reciprocity law for the sling shot. If so Illinois won't recognize anyone's drivers license, endorsement, or out of state registration.

Actually, no. All states agree to honor the laws of the driver's home state. That's called touring privileges in the law book.

Example- State "A" allows drivers to be licensed at 14 yrs of age, and the state right next door, State "B" says you must be 17 to drive. Guess what? That 14 yr old is legal while passing thru State "B". So Slingshots, registered in another state, will certainly be allowed to drive, er, ride, thru Texas.

I was able to check them out at the NYC motorcycle show and I gotta say, that front end is wide and big... It almost left me wondering if it would fit through my garage door.

Maybe they will have to develop a reciprocity law for the sling shot. If so Illinois won't recognize anyone's drivers license, endorsement, or out of state registration.

Classic VW summed it up pretty good in the previous post. If it's legal to buy and register a Sling Shot in your state, you can travel thru all other states, as long as it meets their statutory definitions of a "motor vehicle" (i.e. vehicle height, proper taillights, brake lights, forward illumination, bumper height, etc.). Any comparison to the Spyder is "apples to oranges," due to the lack of 'legally straddling to operate.'

Not everything that passed thru my jurisdiction did, and as LEO's, we jerked them from the roadway pronto to protect the safety of everyone else. Typical were some home-made jalopy dragged here behind a motor home and then the owner's assumption it could be operated on a public roadway in WI.

However, if you move to WI, for example, your 'legal in my state Sling Shot' will have to be re-registered as an auto.

Typically, most states have a 30-day - 6 month grace period on the books for travel in or thru them. Beyond that time frame, many DOT's assign you 'residency status' and your vehicle and DL will need to be switched over. :deal

Hi Kevin!

Im thinking that the Slingshot will not be able to be registered as an automobile anywhere in the U.S.
I don't think it complies with federal regulations- example- no energy absorbing bumpers, etc. What do you think?

I used the term reciprocity as a clue to illustrate a precedent that already exist where states limit or infringe on the right of out of state citizens to legally own and operate out of state licensed and registered equipment, thereby violating the constitutional provision for interstate commerce laws. There are those that would argue that a slingshot/motorcycle/car license or registration is a different issue or apples to oranges, but I don't see it that way. Restrictive state laws verses permissive, seriously hampers our national economy and infringes on our citizens liberty often. In this case, a new technology vehicle that doesn't meet one states definition of a motorcycle or car infringing on citizens from that state or another state to own, operate, or sell this piece of equipment. I hope no states outlaw motorcycles for the sake of the MOA, and other obvious reasons. Not a lawyer or politician, just a citizen calling it how I see it.

Hi Kevin!

Im thinking that the Slingshot will not be able to be registered as an automobile anywhere in the U.S.
I don't think it complies with federal regulations- example- no energy absorbing bumpers, etc. What do you think?

Not Kevin,:D
that is the issue...it cannot be certified as a car because all the safety standards it does not meet and never will.

I still do not see it as a motorcycle in the traditional definition of straddling a saddle , not to mention a steering wheel. I disagree with the notion that if it has three wheels it is a motorcycle.
Is a VW bug made into a trike licensed as a car or a bike? See those a lot still. Guess I need to find one and look at the license plate.

If they can tweak the current TX state law, which will most likely happen with enough lobbying, it will be sold here as a motorcycle. The legislature is in short session in 2015 after their 2014 break. That's why nothing happened last year on the floor to address it.
As far as passing thru states...I don't see a big fuss by anybody and the LEO that stops you just wants to check it out:brow even in WI:D

Looks OK to me~

0.jpg

OM

Hi Kevin!

I see it as a work in progress. The manufacturer may find that to sell enough units to turn a profit, they may need to upgrade the bumpers to a compliance status or even some other common state DOT requirements - time will tell.

Some states will certify it a motorcycle, I'm sure. But that is not universal, and will be handled on a state-by-state basis. Some may alter their DOT language to accommodate it - some might not.

If not popular or affordable (no price tag on the one I looked at/sat in, but it 'felt' expensive), it may simply be another 'flash-in-the-pan' motorized contraption.

Not Kevin,:D
that is the issue...it cannot be certified as a car because all the safety standards it does not meet and never will.

I still do not see it as a motorcycle in the traditional definition of straddling a saddle , not to mention a steering wheel. I disagree with the notion that if it has three wheels it is a motorcycle.
Is a VW bug made into a trike licensed as a car or a bike? See those a lot still. Guess I need to find one and look at the license plate.

If they can tweak the current TX state law, which will most likely happen with enough lobbying, it will be sold here as a motorcycle. The legislature is in short session in 2015 after their 2014 break. That's why nothing happened last year on the floor to address it.
As far as passing thru states...I don't see a big fuss by anybody and the LEO that stops you just wants to check it out:brow even in WI:D

The VW trikes were/are motorcycles. AFAIK the only VW part was the engine that was put in some sort of motorcycle frame.

Looks OK to me~

Oh, I dunno, needs more angles, nooks and crannies to collect bug guts and road grime I think.. .. :whistle

If that Polaris is a "motorcycle", then so is this....

Even at $80K, and at the bottom of the "performance envelope", I think I'd go the Morgan route simply for the reasons stated in the video; it's much better suited to my "airhead" mentality. If I had an extra 80K lying around that is. Simpler form, less visual clutter, and less "technology", thank you very much.

But if you own one here in California, you'd better be wearing a helmet.... because it's a "motorcycle" here.

2012-morgan-3-wheeler-fd.jpg

http://www.morgan3wheeler.co.uk/desktopindex.html

Back