• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Test ride on a Can Am Spyder

It may be great fun to drive but will have a very hard time coming across as a motorcycle. I don't notice Morgan making headway establishing motorcycle status for their 3 wheeler, which is essentially the same concept.

Here in the Great State of California, if it has no more than three wheels it is, by definition, a "motorcycle".

When I get to the point two wheels aren't possible, I'll just pass up the 3 wheel alternatives and get a BMW Z4. :brow

I am not to the point where two wheels aren't possible, but I did just get a 2005 Z4!! LOVE!!! Just adding to the stable!!! :clap

BMW makes automobiles?

surprised-baby.jpg

Not sure I understand the GM connection ? Can you explain ?

A friend had a spider and sold it to his son. It was for is daughter in law. She was killed and her daughter is now in a wheelchair because it was unable to make a simple curve. The last thing the mother said to her daughter was, "I can't turn this thing".

My friend had ridden the trike for years with no problems. She was a new rider. I am not saying there was definitely a mechanical problem with the Spyder, these are just facts and I there will probably be litigation.

Lots of people have been killed in cars, motorcycles, airplanes, parachutes, etc........because of mechanical failures. But I would do a lot of research before I rode one.

"My friend had ridden the trike for years with no problems. She was a new rider."
Folks usually blame their equipment... In GM's case? I would too.

The GM Connection. I see GM as = Grand Malfeasance.

I am not to the point where two wheels aren't possible, but I did just get a 2005 Z4!! LOVE!!! Just adding to the stable!!! :clap

And if we weren't sinking every dime into building a new house, I'd be shopping for a Z4 (or perhaps a Boxster...shhhh...don't tell). Just have other priorities right now. My S will be on the market at beginning of the next riding season....

Congrats on the Z, bet it's a blast!

Cheers!:drink

And if we weren't sinking every dime into building a new house, I'd be shopping for a Z4 (or perhaps a Boxster...shhhh...don't tell). Just have other priorities right now. My S will be on the market at beginning of the next riding season....

Congrats on the Z, bet it's a blast!

Cheers!:drink

I've gotten to the age where getting in and out of a small convertible is difficult. Getting on a Maxi-Scooter is easier.

I've gotten to the age where getting in and out of a small convertible is difficult. Getting on a Maxi-Scooter is easier.

I hear you! :)

Sort of older and less flexible, but I've tried on a Z4, a Boxster, and a 914 project car. Our new house will have a garage space just perfectly sized for a 4 wheel vehicle of that genre. A small convertible will "encourage" me to work more diligently on my flexibility exercises...lol

Cheers! :dance

I've tried on a Z4, a Boxster, and a 914 project car. Our new house will have a garage space just perfectly sized for a 4 wheel vehicle of that genre. A small convertible will "encourage" me to work more diligently on my flexibility exercises...lol

I've had a Boxster for 15 years and an RT for 4. I've put more miles on the RT in the last 4 years than I have on the Boxster in 15. :)

But the Boxster is there patiently waiting for me when I get too old to ride the bike.

Best of both worlds.

I've had a Boxster for 15 years and an RT for 4. I've put more miles on the RT in the last 4 years than I have on the Boxster in 15. :)

But the Boxster is there patiently waiting for me when I get too old to ride the bike.

Best of both worlds.

Okay, color me officially envious! :laugh

No Boxster or similar in the garage.

I've had some 15k annual miles on bikes, but this year put less than 500 mies on my S. Fifty plus seasons on bikes...and about time to hang up my spurs...lol.

PS. I'll put some miles on your Boxster at no charge to you. Bring it over! :type

Sort of older and less flexible, but I've tried on a Z4, a Boxster, and a 914 project car. Our new house will have a garage space just perfectly sized for a 4 wheel vehicle of that genre. A small convertible will "encourage" me to work more diligently on my flexibility exercises...lol

We did a test ride on a Can Am and didn't like it. Did test drive a Miata, liked it, bought one and found that the stretching and straining of getting in and out actually helped alleviate my off/on (over the last 30 years) back pain. The wife thought having the Miata might cure my motorcycle habit. It didn't but she's happy with it anyway since she can't ride pillion any more.

We did a test ride on a Can Am and didn't like it. Did test drive a Miata, liked it, bought one and found that the stretching and straining of getting in and out actually helped alleviate my off/on (over the last 30 years) back pain. The wife thought having the Miata might cure my motorcycle habit. It didn't but she's happy with it anyway since she can't ride pillion any more.

And...another vote in favor of a sports car. :thumb

My wife quit riding pillion years ago. The only risk with a sports car is that I won't be able to get her out of the driver's seat! :brow

And that back pain thing? Been there, done that!

Cheers!

And...another vote in favor of a sports car. :thumb

If you're going to get a sports car make sure it has 2 doors, at least 8 cylinders or an unnaturally aspirated V6, and a 6-speed manual or dual clutch auto. Anything less could leave you monumentally unimpressed when it comes to corner exits. Hard top or convertible - your choice.

If you're going to get a sports car make sure it has 2 doors, at least 8 cylinders or an unnaturally aspirated V6, and a 6-speed manual or dual clutch auto. Anything less could leave you monumentally unimpressed when it comes to corner exits. Hard top or convertible - your choice.

Oh, if I could only afford a Z8!

And...much prefer a roadster. Every once in awhile we have a dry sunny day! :laugh

OTOH, the house project is going okay....finally. Framed up, trusses going on. :dance

My daily ride/drive....mainly ride.......God bless.....Dennis

Attachments

• Merc I.jpg
    Merc I.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 112
Nice one!

Mit Kompressor? :dance

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

SLK 320 with 6 speed and the clutch to go with it..........Definately takes the place of 2 wheels for this ol boy but warm in the winter and cool in the summer......lolol...even with the hard top folded up all by itself in the trunk and the draft blowing around the roll bars and deflector........God bless.......Dennis

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!

SLK 320 with 6 speed and the clutch to go with it..........Definately takes the place of 2 wheels for this ol boy but warm in the winter and cool in the summer......lolol...even with the hard top folded up all by itself in the trunk and the draft blowing around the roll bars and deflector........God bless.......Dennis

Just asking since my Canadian advisor seems to think I'll be disappointed in a naturally aspirated car! ;)

I've honestly never looked at a Merc, assumed they were out my price range. If this house construction keeps getting more spendy I may need to look for Turbo Yugo Sport Coupe! :dunno

Cheers!!!

Been there, tried that. We are more impressed with the Miata (cost/value, handling, reliability) but it's not for folks who're somewhat large and/or in need of eyeball-flattening acceleration (got that with the bike) or cushy rides.

Back