• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tennessee Bill to Repeal Motorcycle Helmet Law Fails

Bronze with hugh deductibles (as much as $12,000) an co-pays as high as 50%.

The maximum out-of-pocket for a Bronze family plan is $12,700. The deductible and co-pays total to the max out of pocket. Accordingly, your health savings account is supposed to cover these costs in the years you have bad health.

If you want lower deductibles and co-pays, you have the option of paying a higher premium.

Last edited:
This thread actually started out OK as pertained to the TN helmet law update but when we got to the part where "MC insurance" got confused with "health insurance" things got hazy! :brow
Similar level of BS when the TN/KY state line was said to have become a non reality!:brow
The real corker of them all though, was the part about people riding into TN from KY & bilking the hospitals. :D Nothing like the ability to "plan your own hospital party" on a bike?:cry
The more interesting part(that I didn't see in the news) is "who got the law change to come up for a vote in the first place part"? I watch "Justified" every week & no mentions been made of this matter?

This thread actually started out OK as pertained to the TN helmet law update but when we got to the part where "MC insurance" got confused with "health insurance" things got hazy! :brow
Similar level of BS when the TN/KY state line was said to have become a non reality!:brow
The real corker of them all though, was the part about people riding into TN from KY & bilking the hospitals. :D Nothing like the ability to "plan your own hospital party" on a bike?:cry
The more interesting part(that I didn't see in the news) is "who got the law change to come up for a vote in the first place part"? I watch "Justified" every week & no mentions been made of this matter?

I thought they were all cousins....isn't that why they don't recognize the State borders? Want to know who brought the Bill (remember Google is our friend)...here:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bill-to-repeal-Tenn-motorcycle-helmet-law-fails-5349498.php

Never let it be said that this site has a sense of humor.

I thought they were all cousins....isn't that why they don't recognize the State borders? Want to know who brought the Bill (remember Google is our friend)...here:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Bill-to-repeal-Tenn-motorcycle-helmet-law-fails-5349498.php

Never let it be said that this site has a sense of humor.

No, we are not all cousins. You don't really have to be a smart ass do you? You are one of the reasons why threads get tossed. As a citizen of the State of Tennessee and a member in good standing of the MOA, I demand an apology.

My question as to who brought the bill up was not so much the politician's name but the "who" got them interested in doing so? Without getting into political no-no's here I was thinking "who's the lobby group"? We all know politicos are usually trying to please someone.In this case it sure wasn't me. :scratch

My question as to who brought the bill up was not so much the politician's name but the "who" got them interested in doing so? Without getting into political no-no's here I was thinking "who's the lobby group"? We all know politicos are usually trying to please someone.In this case it sure wasn't me. :scratch

AMA (not the medical one) and ABATE are my two best guesses..

What happened?

When I started this thread, I never imagined it would veer in the direction it has. I live in VA, near the borders of TN, WV, TN, NC and KY. I ride in all of these states frequently, almost always on the backroads. Frequently, the only way I can tell what state I am in is to look at the tags on cars in people's driveways. Several of the posters clearly got their information about the area from TV, the Mainstream Media, the movies and other sources of misinformation.

Having several relatives, including a daughter and her family, living in Tennessee, I would not be shocked if they dropped the helmet requirement. It is a pretty laid back state with a live and let live attitude. My son-in-law in Tennessee keeps reminding me that the road signs are really just suggestions. There is no vehicle safety inspection requirement. Building codes are apparently very lax or ignored. My other son-in-law is a plumber in Virginia that couldn't believe the code violations he found in my daughter's recently built house.

When I started this thread, I never imagined it would veer in the direction it has. I live in VA, near the borders of TN, WV, TN, NC and KY. I ride in all of these states frequently, almost always on the backroads. Frequently, the only way I can tell what state I am in is to look at the tags on cars in people's driveways. Several of the posters clearly got their information about the area from TV, the Mainstream Media, the movies and other sources of misinformation.

Having several relatives, including a daughter and her family, living in Tennessee, I would not be shocked if they dropped the helmet requirement. It is a pretty laid back state with a live and let live attitude. My son-in-law in Tennessee keeps reminding me that the road signs are really just suggestions. There is no vehicle safety inspection requirement. Building codes are apparently very lax or ignored. My other son-in-law is a plumber in Virginia that couldn't believe the code violations he found in my daughter's recently built house.

I don't know what happened, some folks just can't carry on a decent conversation on a forum without taking cheap shots.

There is no vehicle safety inspection requirement. Building codes are apparently very lax or ignored. My other son-in-law is a plumber in Virginia that couldn't believe the code violations he found in my daughter's recently built house.

If there are no enforced code standards, you really don't need skilled tradesmen to do the construction..... So much for the plumbers training.

No, we are not all cousins. You don't really have to be a smart ass do you? You are one of the reasons why threads get tossed. As a citizen of the State of Tennessee and a member in good standing of the MOA, I demand an apology.

Again...never let it be said, this site doesn't have a sense of humor.

In 25 words or less, can someone tell me why this thread went the way I thought it would? I demand an apology for you guys making me waste time reading it. :D

:lurk

If there are no enforced code standards, you really don't need skilled tradesmen to do the construction..... So much for the plumbers training.

I was told by a local contractor here in Virginia that Tennessee contractors and building tradesmen sometimes get frustrated and go home when they come to Virginia to work and are forced to follow our building codes.

I was told by a local contractor here in Virginia that Tennessee contractors and building tradesmen sometimes get frustrated and go home when they come to Virginia to work and are forced to follow our building codes.

Considering the money to be made in No. VA, I can't imagine any skilled tradesman (i.e., with papers) avoiding that area. Typically, a skilled tradesman is best paid in areas with strict code enforcement. Otherwise, everybody is slapping a magnetic sign on the side of the cab and calling themselves a contractor.

Considering the money to be made in No. VA, I can't imagine any skilled tradesman (i.e., with papers) avoiding that area. Typically, a skilled tradesman is best paid in areas with strict code enforcement. Otherwise, everybody is slapping a magnetic sign on the side of the cab and calling themselves a contractor.

Northern Virginia is just under 400 miles from Tennessee. Most just come a short way into Virginia. Country folks don't blend well in Nothern Virginia since it became an extension of Maryland and DC.

Country folks don't blend well in Nothern Virginia since it became an extension of Maryland and DC.

I live in the middle of no-where and I do work in No. VA because I want a decent paycheck. That's why we built the interstates.

Last edited:
Since this has drifted to non BMW and motorcycle discussion, sending it to Campfire.

Back