• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tach

My friend has a R100 with a bad tach which he is going to replace. The question is would it be better to use the 78+ electric tach or the stock cable driven? And is there anything I should know when installing a BMW electric tach. (can they just be wired in like on a Harley or do they require a ballast to be wired in like some cars?)

The main issue with the mechanical tachs seems to be a broken needles, otherwise they're OK. You can find them on eBay: I found mine by buying a complete pod with a busted speedo, and a good tach, so it was an easy swap.

Dont know about the swap-out.... physical space in the pod is the same?

Back