• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

System case scratch remedies

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
I did a search and found older posts on dealing with scratches on system cases (not painted). One suggestion was: "wet sand paper 240 and then black magic (any car store)." Does that make sense? Is 240 grit paper correct for the case's unpainted satin finish?

I bet there are many thousands of posts on this topic on many forums and lists since the first oilhead with cases fell over back in '94, so I would think the perfect solution has been found by now! (I know the silicon sprays do not work well except perhaps for scuffs.)

Solution?

Fred

not sure of grit, but fine grade wet/dry works well for me. Unless you really get agressive,it won't remove the texture enough to see. I used McGuires Back to Black it seems to rejuvenate the color. I had purchased a used set of cases and they came out near to new with some wet sanding. Silicon is very temporary for sure

I got an email reply from a friend and professional body repairman, who is also the body/paint shop for the local BMW/Aprilia/Honda dealer (and high-end cars).

He writes:

Fred,

Don't go sanding the cover first (if you need to sand maybe 800, start fine and go from there). We usually just polish it with our small buffer and a little compound, which makes them much better looking.

That's nice to know!

Fred
'07 R

Scatches are Kool

Depending on the age of the bike and your personal taste scratches on the bags are ascetically pleasing. Like crows feet or scars on a person they tell a story. When I see a bike that is for sale and it is advertised as Never Been Down & No Scratches I wonder what world some folks ride in??????:bikes

I remember reading some where. Lay a 3M green pad on the area and tap it lightly with a hammer, would put the texture back. I have not tried it but sounds good. WD-40 gives them a nice shine

I sanded out some deep gouges on my side case cover - sustained when I rode with the cover open - don't ask !!!

(I kept thinking"what's that strange sound" every time I leaned to the left :banghead )

The gouges are gone but the area stands out smooth & shiny in contrast to the matte texture.

I'll try the 3M idea - thanks for passing it on. I'll report back.

I sanded out some deep gouges on my side case cover - sustained when I rode with the cover open - don't ask !!!

(I kept thinking"what's that strange sound" every time I leaned to the left :banghead )

The gouges are gone but the area stands out smooth & shiny in contrast to the matte texture.

I'll try the 3M idea - thanks for passing it on. I'll report back.

After I filled in the gouges on my case lids and sanded them smooth I sprayed them with several light coats of Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner and they came oiut fantastic. Now if i get a scratch or scrape I just take out the can of Truck Bed Liner and lightly spray the area.

I went another route. After scratching them trying to fit in a tight space, I sanded then down to smooth 600grit. Then painted them to match my bike, Atlanta Blue, and gave them 3 coats of clear coat. That was a year ago and they look great today. I wax them when I clean my bike, OK only once a year, scuffs come right off. Much better then original.

Depending on the age of the bike and your personal taste scratches on the bags are ascetically pleasing. Like crows feet or scars on a person they tell a story. When I see a bike that is for sale and it is advertised as Never Been Down & No Scratches I wonder what world some folks ride in??????:bikes
:buds :buds :stick :bottle :laugh :laugh

Back