• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Swing arm boot

bobgerman

The front swing arm boot on my 05 RT is cracked. Is there anything scary about replacing it? Looks pretty straight forward according to the Haynes service manual.

Not really that bad of a job.
you will also have to remove the final drive from the swingarm to get the driveshaft back on.
At least that's the easiest way I've found to do it. Good time to check & grease your pivot bearings, and check U-joints too!

Ken

The R12 series requires a bit more work to replace that front boot. You can swing the fd into the lowered position after unbolting the torque arm and pull the driveshaft...after removing caliper and speed sensor.

However you will need to unpin the paralever pins hiding under the the pin retainer covers and move the assy backwards(the round recessed holes on frame) to R&R the boot. I know some have managed without, but I saw one get torn doing it stuff it in style. I did one with shock still mounted and fussed a bit.

On the GS's it is easier than the other models. You need to get the paralever as level as possible or you will cuss and scream trying to get it lined up reinstalling the shaft.

the factory rep-rom helps with projects like this...I have not looked at a haynes

It also should be noted that some models (non-GS's) require the swingarm be removed to remove the driveshaft. It may be possible to move the driveshaft back far enough to get the boot in place - but can't say as mine hasn't yet failed.

Back