• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2005 R1200ST - throttle bodies' O Rings?

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
I noticed the plastic pulleys on the throttle bodies on my '05 R1200ST are cracked. Looking on the interweb, I see that the Bing replacement pulleys are a less-expensive option.

And the Haynes manual says to replace various O Rings when putting the throttle bodies back together; does anyone have a list of the O Rings that should be replaced when you're "in there" ?

TIA.

I would think Bing would know. They also have build kits.

Another option is a guy on the R1200GS forum has a throttle body trade program. He rebuilds them. He sends you a rebuilt sent and you send him your set for him to rebuild. I've never done, but he's rebuilt a bunch--at least so he says. I'd just check to make sure they are the same throttle bodies. I don't know if the throttle bodies differ from the GS and the ST.

https://www.r1200gs.info/threads/throttle-body-trade-program-back-up-and-running.56283/#post-342622

I just replaced mine on my '11RT. I chose aluminum replacements as opposed to reinstalling plastic ones so I won't have to think of them ever again. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

There are a couple how_to threads referenced in the link above. All in it was less than $200. and the process was straight forward. The how_to threads really helped.

15.jpg.1fff41ea6bd7c10e5ad7070c2783136a.jpg

Mine were also starting to crack, but hadn't cracked all the way through. I JB welded a nickel coin to them for reinforcement. A suitable washer would have also worked, but I didn't have one handy... :D

Mine were also starting to crack, but hadn't cracked all the way through. I JB welded a nickel coin to them for reinforcement. A suitable washer would have also worked, but I didn't have one handy... :D

A five cent repair on a BMW? Heresy!!!

:whistle

OM

Thanks to all for the info.

Jeff - I checked out the GS Forum guy you mentioned, and as of this week he's not rebuilding throttle bodies anymore.

Last edited:
Back