• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Swapping GSA pannier locks

glenfiddich

TravelsWithBarley.com
I recently moved the sidecar from a 2010 GSA to a 2012. I’d like the 2010 panniers and topcase (with all my stickers and reflective tape) to go onto the new bike as well. There are several threads on rekeying, but they’re pretty old and the links to pictorials don’t work anymore. From the written descriptions is sounds like...

Insert the key with the lock open, turn the key horizontal, depress the last key on the inside end of the cylinder and gently extract the entire cylinder. Do the same with the corresponding lock on the other bike. Take care not to let gravity suck the keys out of the cylinders.

Insert the old cylinder into the new piece of luggage until what..? Does the last key pop into place on its own, then I simply turn the key vertical and pull it out? Or is there a step I missed?

Pete

I recently moved the sidecar from a 2010 GSA to a 2012. I’d like the 2010 panniers and topcase (with all my stickers and reflective tape) to go onto the new bike as well. There are several threads on rekeying, but they’re pretty old and the links to pictorials don’t work anymore. From the written descriptions is sounds like...

Insert the key with the lock open, turn the key horizontal, depress the last key on the inside end of the cylinder and gently extract the entire cylinder. Do the same with the corresponding lock on the other bike. Take care not to let gravity suck the keys out of the cylinders.

Insert the old cylinder into the new piece of luggage until what..? Does the last key pop into place on its own, then I simply turn the key vertical and pull it out? Or is there a step I missed?

Pete

Hi Pete,

I just swapped cylinders between a 49 liter and 28 liter topcase. While access to release the locking wafer is different between these and the GS luggage, your description of the process seems accurate to me. To put the cylinder back in, maintain the exact same orientation as the removal (EG if release wafer is at 3 o'clock as the cylinder is removed, it needs to be oriented the same as cylinder is inserted. You'll need to carefully press the release wafer down - like with a small screwdriver - as you insert the cylinder. You then simply push it all the way in - the locking wafer engages as the cylinder is pressed all the way into the hole. Then you're done.

On my topcases, the biggest challenge by far was removal - due the the extremely limited line of sight and access to the release areas inside the cases. Indeed, I finally took the 28 liter case apart, so I could see what I was doing. On the 49 liter case, I used the other method of inserting a bent paper clip inside the cylinder and carefully engaging and pressing the locking wafer down. Regardless of the method - this is one of the most challenging processes I've experienced while working on BMWs.

Good Luck!

Rocky

Back