• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SW-Motech quick lock tank bag

cyberider

Has anyone any experience with SW-Motech Quick lock tank bag system? Or, please, any feelings on what would be the best aftermarket tank bag for 2005 R1200ST? (I don't dig the OEM that came with the bike.)

Thanks!

I use the older style ring (ION?) with the small "Trip QL" bag (bought used) on my 2010 R1200RT. At the time, SW Motech didn't have the newer style mount (EVO?) for the 2010 or any of the RTs using the rail on the tank.

If I wanted a larger bag, the "City" model would probably look pretty good.

On our K1300Ss Debbie used the the older ION mount with a Daypack 2 bag. On trips I used the small BMW bag and a SW-Motech Trip QL on day trips.
Now on our R1200RS we both have the new EVO mounts and Engage bags.
We have been happy with all the bags.

On our K1300Ss Debbie used the the older ION mount with a Daypack 2 bag. On trips I used the small BMW bag and a SW-Motech Trip QL on day trips.
Now on our R1200RS we both have the new EVO mounts and Engage bags.
We have been happy with all the bags.

Thank you for the information. I was about to order a bag to use on a cross country trip and wanted to make sure there aren't horror stories about the EVO mount system. I will take a closer look at the "City Bag."

Thanks folks!

i have the SW-M tank ring quick thingy....and a Bags Connection City bag....

i think they are great for my RT...easy on, easy off...i even electrified my with the SW-M kit, kinda pricey but worth it in my opinion...

tank bag 1.jpg

tank bag 2.jpg

Bought the SW Motech bag and quick release that mounts on the gas tank filler plate from Twisted Throttle, and ran with it for 7 years on my '05 R1200RT.

Best tank bag system I ever had! :thumb :thumb

Having run both the TrialQL with the old mounts and the City bag with the new mount system, I'd note that the old mount system was much better IMHO, because it was easier to lock in place without having to double-check each time to make sure it locked in place. The new mounts sit lower on the tank ring and while less intrusive visually they are much harder to engage and lock securely. I plan on putting in spacers to raise the tank ring. Also, over time if the tank bag is loaded heavy the bottoms tend to deform and allow the bag edges to rest directly on the tank.

On the City bag, it's a nice bag but the side pockets are not wide enough to be really usable and the Velcro attachment for the map case is a poor design, allowing the back end of the map case to pop loose while underway.

The perfect tankbag has yet to be invented, I guess!

Best,
DG

Having run both the TrialQL with the old mounts and the City bag with the new mount system, I'd note that the old mount system was much better IMHO, because it was easier to lock in place without having to double-check each time to make sure it locked in place. The new mounts sit lower on the tank ring and while less intrusive visually they are much harder to engage and lock securely.
DG

We have used both the old and new mounts and we have both noticed the new mounts are a little more fussy to lock in place. Not difficult, but you have to double check the bag has locked in place.
I use the Engage and the Trip QL. I replaced the old mount under my Trip QL with the newer EVO mount so both bags match the ring on the tank.
The bottom of the Engage and Trip QL are not much wider than the rigid bottom where the bag mount bolts in place so they may not sag like some of the larger bags like the City. The back of the bag may sag.

Pictures of a Engage on a R1200RS.
Tankbag (1).jpg

Tankbag (4).jpg

Tankbag (7).jpg

Back