• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suspected Scam Attempt On The MarketPlace

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
A few days ago I listed an item for sale on the MarketPlace. The next day I received a notice that someone was interested in the item and asking if it was still available. I responded that it was and several hours later I got a message asking how much it would cost for next day air to an area code in California. I said I would need to take it to a UPS store to find that out and that it would be late in the day before I could do that, and the next day before I could ship it. I went to the UPS Store and the cost to overnight it was $265, 2nd day air was $114 and ground was $41; I sent that info to the prospective buyer in the afternoon. The next day another curt response saying 2nd day air will work. No other info was provided and no questions were ever asked. I've sold my fair share of stuff on motorcycle forums and the sales have all gone well. Experience tells me that buyers ask questions about condition, will it fit their bikes and will you take less. Also this guy was willing to pay for expedited shipping but was lackadaisical in responding to my emails. I sent him a message telling him I was suspicious and that I would not ship the item until he provided me a phone number and we talked and then I had payment in hand. That was over 24 hours ago and unsurprisingly I've had no further contact. I guess I cannot be certain this guy is a scammer or perhaps he's just odd. I am not certain how the scam would have evolved, but I was not willing to find out. Seller beware, even on the MOA MarketPlace.

On a brighter note.... It appears I sold the item this morning to an acquaintance who lives in Great Falls, and he saw it on the MarketPlace

The MarketPlace is visible to the world, so having contact information that lets anyone/everyone get to you will potentially bring in the riff-raff. Yup, it's seller beware!

I had the exact same experience this week. Had a gut feeling from the start it was a scam, when he requested the overnight shipping it really seemed odd. Did a bit of searching on common scams and apparently they want the overnight shipping because they'll have the goods before you get the notice the payment was fraudulent or non existent.

A month or two ago I had what appeared to be a scammer contact me on three different adds. I contacted MOA with the email of the scammer.
Yesterday I was contacted by someone who appeared to be a scammer on two different adds.
I wish we would go back to only MOA members being able to see the ads.

Edit: I just the checked the MOA scammer list and see the email that contacted me yesterday is on the list. Christian Amenero

A month or two ago I had what appeared to be a scammer contact me on three different adds. I contacted MOA with the email of the scammer.
Yesterday I was contacted by someone who appeared to be a scammer on two different adds.

Edit: I just the checked the MOA scammer list and see the email that contacted me yesterday is on the list. Christian Amenero

Yup, that is the same naar-do-well that I was dealing with. Hope his keyboard gets fleas.

Where will I find the scammer list?

Same person for me. I'm sure that is not their real name.

Where does one locate this scammer list for future reference?

Where does one locate this scammer list for future reference?

Scammer names are listed in the Information block that appears on the LH side of the Marketplace landing page.

I also have been contacted by one of the scammers and have pulled all my ads.

Best,
DeVern

Scammers

I think that the exposure of scammers is perhaps more relevant than denying access to the Marketplace to non members, if only to allow legitimate buyers access and widening the market.
With that said, it might be useful to print a cautionary paragraph or two listing the known scammers and methods that they may use to scam YOU! This would be a screen that must be seen before actually getting to the Marketplace site.

Scammed via PayPal

I just a similar experience with a guy in Lake Eisnor. He said he was interested, could I overnight it from Georgia. Settled on price and started paypal. I requested funds and he shot back he already sent sent the funds. šŸ¤” I was confused and also found I have two PayPal accounts. He said he tried to send $250, 3x by "accident" Eventually I saw $750 funds for $250 itemšŸ¤” WHAT? I contacted him
Through the confusion he said sent funds and would i refund $500 ("oh please, I need that money" šŸ˜Ŗ.) I said no funds in my account, no refund. Back and forth a bit and then Paypal sent an email stating paypal is involved and that I must refund the $500 by buying a gift card at the "store" and send it to him.

This is at the top left of the Market Place page.

Welcome to the BMW MOA Member Marketplace. Login with your MOA username and password to list your items for sale. Need a little help? Checkout the FAQ page or contact the Membership Team for assistance.

Caution: We have had several complaints on a number of names to include Taylor Greg, Gilbert Dorsett, James Sterling, Ryan Dominick and Christian Amenero contacting members who placed an ad. This list is not all inclusive and these individuals have typically sent some version of the following:

"The check has been mailed but there was a mistake. It was accidentally issued for $2,500 instead of the $500 we agreed. I couldn't stop the check because I'm out of town for a business trip (or out of the state, country, etc....). Please don't return the check, because I still need the item. You can deposit the check as soon as you receive it. Once it has cleared, and the money is available into your account then you can send the extra funds with the item"

As a rule, trust your instincts. If you are suspicious of a payment method or find the process confusing or awkward, stop all contact. Please contact us by email at membership@bmwmoa.org or by phone at 864-438-0962 if you want to determine whether someone contacting you is a member or not. Always be cautious with any financial dealings on the internet.

The guy I dealt with, Amenero, is not very good at scamming. From the very beginning his posts raised doubts and why not change identities often? I suspect he/she has many scams in progress at any given time.

The guy I dealt with, Amenero, is not very good at scamming. From the very beginning his posts raised doubts and why not change identities often? I suspect he/she has many scams in progress at any given time.

True, the guy kept asking to buy my item... from my Want To Buy ad.

Last edited:
Back and forth a bit and then Paypal sent an email stating paypal is involved and that I must refund the $500 by buying a gift card at the "store" and send it to him.

Spoofing an email is a higher level of sophistication than we've seen before.

My red flags went up when Amenero said he wanted the winter suit overnighted it to him. Why the hurry? Mid-May, 90ā° in California. I thought "why would someone need a cold weather suit in S. California"? His timing was way off. He said "I sent the money already", before I even requested it on Paypal. It would do well to limit access to the Marketplace. This guy seems to have too much time on his hands.

My red flags went up when Amenero said he wanted the winter suit overnighted it to him. Why the hurry? Mid-May, 90ā° in California. I thought "why would someone need a cold weather suit in S. California"? His timing was way off. He said "I sent the money already", before I even requested it on Paypal. It would do well to limit access to the Marketplace. This guy seems to have too much time on his hands.

Au contraire! He likely has dozens of scams going at any one time. Itā€™s work, work, work and never a momentā€™s rest. Poor guy.

I only sale stuff to MOA Members. And purchase from same.

Ask for their Member #... and their ID info for this website. Then look'em up via the search capability.
Talk on the phone also helps ensure you have a Member.

That's just me; I'm not enthused we even have Charter Club members that don't belong to our recognized and authorized MOA Club by MOTORRAD.

You want to play... get in the game. Join.

Another thing; you want to win a bike in the Superstakes? Join the MOA for a ticket opportunity.

I SIMPLY don't like us trying to be everything for everybody in all the stuff we offer and do.

I only sale stuff to MOA Members. And purchase from same.

Ask for their Member #... and their ID info for this website. Then look'em up via the search capability.
Talk on the phone also helps ensure you have a Member.

Sometimes they're a MOA member but not on the forum.
I've sold to several MOA members who were not on the forum.
Like you I like to chit chat a little by phone or email to get a feel if they are real.

I've wondered what the rational is for having Marketplace open to all users. Most of the forums I participate in have very strict marketplace rules, as well as a minimum post count to send messages and even see FOr Sale items. It sure cuts down on the scammers.

Back