• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Survival Riding in California

Got news for ya. It ain't only in Kalifornia.

I live in Nor Cal, in one of the poorest counties, Butte, about 90m north of Sacramento. I ride all over regional roads, down the 49er highway to Yosemite, up into the Sierras and up and down the Calif coast. I have hardly found a single road that wasn't in great shape barring very recent weather related damage so under repair. Potholes are rare! OTOH, with today's traffic density and between driver inattentiveness and aggressiveness I think your nuts if you ride your motorcycle in the big metro areas! The SF Bay Area has an average of 8 motorcycle crashes DAILY!

I moved from New Hampshire to Southern California (Santa Clarita) in February 2017. I work from home, so I haven't had to have a daily commute, but I have done some riding on the highways during weekdays. When you're lane splitting down the 405, you definitely know you're alive... Since moving here I've seen more cars on their sides or roofs, sideways in front of lanes of traffic, etc... than in my prior 50 years on the east coast.

A couple of months ago I had to do an errand down near LAX. Riding home there was a wooden staircase blocking the HOV lane. Just like the OP said, out of nowhere the traffic just started slamming on brakes in the HOV lane and swerving into the lane to the right. I was leaving enough space and the lane to the right was open, so it wasn't nearly as much of a situation as it could have been. The staircase must have fallen out of a truck, but there was no stopped truck in the area.

For me I try to avoid the highways, especially during the week, unless it is absolutely necessary. When I do ride on the highway, I stick to the leftmost lane I'm allowed to be in (HOV if its there) and I only split under 30 mph between the left most lane and the one to the right of it - usually the left lane is the HOV lane, which means that there is more room and a double yellow line between lanes.

I have clearwater lights for improved visibility (Darlas, Ericas, and a Billie Jr rear brake light) and I do often see the time when people notice me. They look as if they're going to make that turn in front of me, but the LED lights register in their brains and they stop.

There are a lot of canyon roads near where I live, so I stick to those as much as possible.

I moved from New Hampshire to Southern California (Santa Clarita) in February 2017. I work from home, so I haven't had to have a daily commute, but I have done some riding on the highways during weekdays. When you're lane splitting down the 405, you definitely know you're alive... Since moving here I've seen more cars on their sides or roofs, sideways in front of lanes of traffic, etc... than in my prior 50 years on the east coast.

A couple of months ago I had to do an errand down near LAX. Riding home there was a wooden staircase blocking the HOV lane. Just like the OP said, out of nowhere the traffic just started slamming on brakes in the HOV lane and swerving into the lane to the right. I was leaving enough space and the lane to the right was open, so it wasn't nearly as much of a situation as it could have been. The staircase must have fallen out of a truck, but there was no stopped truck in the area.

For me I try to avoid the highways, especially during the week, unless it is absolutely necessary. When I do ride on the highway, I stick to the leftmost lane I'm allowed to be in (HOV if its there) and I only split under 30 mph between the left most lane and the one to the right of it - usually the left lane is the HOV lane, which means that there is more room and a double yellow line between lanes.

I have clearwater lights for improved visibility (Darlas, Ericas, and a Billie Jr rear brake light) and I do often see the time when people notice me. They look as if they're going to make that turn in front of me, but the LED lights register in their brains and they stop.

There are a lot of canyon roads near where I live, so I stick to those as much as possible.

Hard to believe you could tolerate CA especially SoCA after New England. I assume you one day intend to return to east coast?

I'm totally convinced the traffic and especially the aggressive driving here in the PNW is a direct result of people moving here from CA.

I've never lived anywhere else but have been thinking about NH or somewhere in New England, wife is from upstate NY and other than taxes I like the area.

Honest to god I can't imagine how bad it must be to live anywhere near one of the metro areas in CA. I don't wonder why people move to the PNW but I do wish they would leave their bad behavior down there. Not much chance of that I'm afraid.

Hard to believe you could tolerate CA especially SoCA after New England. I assume you one day intend to return to east coast?

I'm totally convinced the traffic and especially the aggressive driving here in the PNW is a direct result of people moving here from CA.

I've never lived anywhere else but have been thinking about NH or somewhere in New England, wife is from upstate NY and other than taxes I like the area.

Honest to god I can't imagine how bad it must be to live anywhere near one of the metro areas in CA. I don't wonder why people move to the PNW but I do wish they would leave their bad behavior down there. Not much chance of that I'm afraid.

Actually we really like it in Santa Clarita and after spending my entire life in the Northeast, I can no longer understand why people want to live in a place where it gets so cold in the winter that your face hurts when you go outside. I might feel differently if I were right down in LA itself, but this suburb is working for us... perhaps we just like it because its new/different (and our grown kids are only about 30 minutes away).

There is plenty of aggressive driving pretty much everywhere I've been (and I used to be professional services consultant in the field, so I've been to a lot of places with a rental car). Last year on the way to Das Rally in Salt Lake City, I found the driving on I-15 in SLC to be at least as scary at LA during rush hour. There is something different about the SoCal traffic and congestion, though I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. The speeds seem a little higher than the northeast and the roads are definitely wider, so instead of 3 lanes of traffic going 80+, you have 6 lanes, going 85+. I see a bit more multi lane changes with no signals, but not so many that its an obvious cause. In some ways people in SoCal are actually a bit friendlier in terms of letting people into other lanes than they are in Boston, for instance.

NH is beautiful if you're up for the weather.

Last edited:
I moved from the PNW to SoCal 40 years ago for career reasons, and being able to ride 365 days a year and living within 30-60 minutes of incredible mountain/coastal riding is a good trade off. I have a 40 mile (round trip) daily commute, and I find weekday drivers to be assertive but experienced. When I'm splitting lanes during rush hour every third or fourth car actually moves over to let me by. I always check drivers ahead of me to see whether they are paying attention, or looking down at their phones. That is the biggest hazard IMHO. I recently added Clearwater lights with amber lenses to my RT, which made a HUGE difference in my being seen by other drivers. Sure, it can be stressful, but it saves me time and frankly it's the best part of my day!
I must say, I find blaming crappy drivers in small towns on an unwanted invasion of Californians irritating. I'll stop there.

Oh, I haven't been to the golden state for many years and I certainly would never not ever not in this lifetime go south of the Mason Dixon (OR/CA border) again for any reason and certainly not on a motorcycle!

Hmmmmm. I had the most lovely ride down California 395 from below Carson City, Nevada to near the Mexican Border with even better side trips up into the Eastern slopes of the Sierras. They call it the quiet side and every state I've been to, including New Jersey has that. You picks your roads and you pays your price....

Hmmmmm. I had the most lovely ride down California 395 from below Carson City, Nevada to near the Mexican Border with even better side trips up into the Eastern slopes of the Sierras. They call it the quiet side and every state I've been to, including New Jersey has that. You picks your roads and you pays your price....

Sounds great!

When I went to Das Rally last year, I decided to go there via the "back roads". CA 14 to 395 to RT 6 across Nevada then north on 68 to SLC. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San...0484d31ca!2m2!1d-111.8910474!2d40.7607793!3e0

The only scary part was the 20 miles or so on 15 in SLC. The rest was wonderful.

There's a good riding all over California.

Actually we really like it in Santa Clarita and after spending my entire life in the Northeast, I can no longer understand why people want to live in a place where it gets so cold in the winter that your face hurts when you go outside. I might feel differently if I were right down in LA itself, but this suburb is working for us... perhaps we just like it because its new/different (and our grown kids are only about 30 minutes away).

There is plenty of aggressive driving pretty much everywhere I've been (and I used to be professional services consultant in the field, so I've been to a lot of places with a rental car). Last year on the way to Das Rally in Salt Lake City, I found the driving on I-15 in SLC to be at least as scary at LA during rush hour. There is something different about the SoCal traffic and congestion, though I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. The speeds seem a little higher than the northeast and the roads are definitely wider, so instead of 3 lanes of traffic going 80+, you have 6 lanes, going 85+. I see a bit more multi lane changes with no signals, but not so many that its an obvious cause. In some ways people in SoCal are actually a bit friendlier in terms of letting people into other lanes than they are in Boston, for instance.

NH is beautiful if you're up for the weather.

I just returned from a couple of weeks in the Portland/Bend areas of Oregon. It does seem to me that aggressive and stupid driving has arrived in Oregon. Triple lane changes on I-5 to get to an exit seem normal to these folks, I think. However, in the city of Portland, I observed a lot of respect for riders of two-wheelers, especially those which are muscle-powered.

Of course, living in Boston with some grandkids in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, I'm used to the remarkably stressful transits both north and south over the George Washington Bridge in New York City. That said, I spent some time in graduate school driving a taxi in Boston, and in those days I was definitely one of the bad guys. Using your turn signal is giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

I just returned from a couple of weeks in the Portland/Bend areas of Oregon. It does seem to me that aggressive and stupid driving has arrived in Oregon. Triple lane changes on I-5 to get to an exit seem normal to these folks, I think. However, in the city of Portland, I observed a lot of respect for riders of two-wheelers, especially those which are muscle-powered.

Of course, living in Boston with some grandkids in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, I'm used to the remarkably stressful transits both north and south over the George Washington Bridge in New York City. That said, I spent some time in graduate school driving a taxi in Boston, and in those days I was definitely one of the bad guys. Using your turn signal is giving aid and comfort to the enemy.
Live in Central Ma. and commute 60m round trip on RT.2 to Hanscom AFB every day. Last November bought a 2014 RAV4 and 10 days later got rear ended on RT.2, $4600 damage. If I was on the Beemer I would have been dead. Drivers here are total idiots, tail gating, passing on the right, it's the wild west. I am seriously reconsidering riding to work. I'm only 62 but idiot drivers will make me sell the bike and quit riding before old age takes over. Good thing I can't carry my Glock to work because I've had a few confrontations with these idiots and on more than one occasion a M******* has used their vehicle as a deadly weapon.

Live in Central Ma. and commute 60m round trip on RT.2 to Hanscom AFB every day. Last November bought a 2014 RAV4 and 10 days later got rear ended on RT.2, $4600 damage. If I was on the Beemer I would have been dead. Drivers here are total idiots, tail gating, passing on the right, it's the wild west. I am seriously reconsidering riding to work. I'm only 62 but idiot drivers will make me sell the bike and quit riding before old age takes over. Good thing I can't carry my Glock to work because I've had a few confrontations with these idiots and on more than one occasion a M******* has used their vehicle as a deadly weapon.

I hear what you're saying. Now, I got to be careful if I get too close to the population thing but the simple truth is there are just too many cars on the roads and most of these cars are driven by humans and humans today are distracted and often times high on something which is not a good environment in which to be operating a motorcycle let alone an automobile. Then you have the angry aggressive motorist thing and this is just a recipe for disaster. I do have sympathy for anyone that has to drive in California especially in a metro area. I honest to god would rather pick up cans on the side of the road in Oregon (10 cent deposit now:)) than I would drive to work or anywhere in CA for that matter. It is a fact that western OR has had a tremendous population increase in very recent years and the majority are from CA. Hence, we have what we have and it just isn't pretty, IMO. I'm somewhat resentful, sorry, I just can't help it.:banghead I've given much thought to leaving OR but I haven't a clue where we would go. No, moving to CA is not an option, not ever in this or any other subsequent lifetime..lol..lol. I contacted the governor's office with the suggestion to hire many many more state police and simply crack down as in these fools want to drive like maniacs then make 'em pay to do so.

I am a volunteer 20 passenger cancer bus driver taking patients to the Willamette Valley for treatment (about 60 miles one way) on a mostly two lane road through the coastal mountain range and with the increase in cars, trucks, motor homes on the road it can be very risky. Hwy 126 has been declared the most dangerous road in the state. Passing multiple cars in no passing zones is rampant. My worse nightmare is being involved in a serious accident that could seriously injure my passengers and these people for sure don't need that!

It's not about California highways. It's about urban highways in general.

My preference is to avoid them, and get to rural locations and roads as quickly as possible. There's not a lot of joy to be found riding urban highways anyway, so I seek the open spaces where the scenery is better, and the risks of bad drivers and road debris is much less.

Freeways is Free!

The issue here is the freeways more than anything else.
I live off the 14 Fwy in north LA County and I wouldn't commute down south for any amount of money.
It's not that it's just congested, but the drivers are down right combative.

Hers' a little ditty on the 14 Fwy just last year, and this is on a good day!
Road rage' motorcyclist kicks car causing dramatic pile-up – video

Then there are those younger drivers that have no idea what their little modern cars will do at 85mph.
Every see one get some air underneath or come to the end of their braking ability. Yeah kids they fly and the roll...

I don't think they have drivers training required anymore, either in high school or anywhere else.
Simple things like signalling 100 feet BEFORE turning or changing lanes.
Following 10 feet for every car length, the simple stuff. Your turn signal isn't your steering wheel.
Signals? What's signals?

I hate driving in states like Washington where everyone brakes like mad if the see one brakelight.
No lane splitting allowed.

Honestly I don't know which is worse...

The issue here is the freeways more than anything else.
I live off the 14 Fwy in north LA County and I wouldn't commute down south for any amount of money.
It's not that it's just congested, but the drivers are down right combative..

Me too! I'm in Santa Clarita and I work from home. The thought of commuting down the 405 is depressing.

Me too! I'm in Santa Clarita and I work from home. The thought of commuting down the 405 is depressing.

Yeah it's nuts as you well know. I stopped commuting to Palmhell years ago. Just not worth the riding odds in my mind.
And that's just going north 20 minutes!
I live in Acton.

You guys sure make the area sound attractive. :)

There is amazing riding all around, its just heading down to LA that is a highway mess.

Angeles Crest Highway and the surrounding area is great, as is RT 33 through Ojai and the riding in that area. Then there's the PCH, and a couple of hours away is the Sequoia National Forrest, etc...

5 minutes from my house I can be carving through canyons and not pass another car for a long time.

It's called, "Too many vehicles, too little concrete". SoCal is a perfect example of how you can't pave your way out of congestion. When every other vehicle has a single occupant, you're screwed. Traffic wasn't as bad there, late 60's/early 70's, but anyone recall bright yellow skies and irritated eyes? At least now you may die of old age on the Ventura Freeway but you won't expire due to respiratory failure.

OK - back on the theme of this post however it isn't going to help most of you.

In good old down under in the State of Queensland there was so much rubbish falling off SUV's (we actually call them utes) tools, ladders, mattresses

https://www.facebook.com/7NewsBrisbane/videos/1469285849750929/

and the like that the Government passed laws stating that all open top vehicles (except sports cars) must have a net placed over any contents to prevent them being launched into the air.
Failure to do so, for any reason is a $650 on the spot fine.
Sale of cargo nets went ballistic.
A.

Back