• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Survival Riding in California

robocop

Yes, the roads are a mess in the Golden State but there is much more danger. Over the past few years, road reports and near misses show an alarming rate of wooden or aluminum ladders straddling the freeway lanes, especially in the urban areas. Cause seems to be day laborers or contractor idiots just throwing their tools into an open bed pick up. One pot hole or bump and you have a dangerous situation for motorcyclists. So what to do?

If you brake,you get rear ended by a cage. If you swerve, you get sideswiped by a heavy hauler. If you hit the ladder straight on, chances are you are going down in traffic. Oftentimes, you don't see the danger until the vehicle in front of you plows into the obstruction and then it's too late. I have taken to riding in the Number 1 ( fast lane) close to the left side of the lane near the concrete freeway dividers when in congested traffic. I keep my head on a swivel looking left and right an pre-planning an escape route.

Saying all that, I am curious what other riders are doing?

Not going down without a fight here in sunny and congested California.............

Now this is an interesting thread. If I were you I know exactly what I would do and that is quit motorcycling all together and I say that without hesitation. I am thinking seriously of doing just that for these reasons. First is my age that being 75 this year. Second is the population increase that has taken place in Western Oregon in recent years mainly due to people relocating here from California. Third is a marked increase in very aggressive driving. What is fun about spending hour after hour catching up with bazillions of motorhomes driven by people that just don't have a clue where they left their brains when they got out of bed in the morning?

You are not going to change the issues you discuss that being contractors not properly securing loads and things are just going to get worse as time passes, just the way it is so get used to it or give it up would be my advise.

I could go on but you get the idea. Oh, I haven't been to the golden state for many years and I certainly would never not ever not in this lifetime go south of the Mason Dixon (OR/CA border) again for any reason and certainly not on a motorcycle!

Survival on the freeways

Yes, the roads are a mess in the Golden State but there is much more danger. Over the past few years, road reports and near misses show an alarming rate of wooden or aluminum ladders straddling the freeway lanes, especially in the urban areas. Cause seems to be day laborers or contractor idiots just throwing their tools into an open bed pick up. One pot hole or bump and you have a dangerous situation for motorcyclists. So what to do?

If you brake,you get rear ended by a cage. If you swerve, you get sideswiped by a heavy hauler. If you hit the ladder straight on, chances are you are going down in traffic. Oftentimes, you don't see the danger until the vehicle in front of you plows into the obstruction and then it's too late. I have taken to riding in the Number 1 ( fast lane) close to the left side of the lane near the concrete freeway dividers when in congested traffic. I keep my head on a swivel looking left and right an pre-planning an escape route.

Not going down without a fight here in sunny and congested California.............

The reality is the traffic congestion is further out and longer hours so welcome to the new normal here in the Golden State - ladders are definitely an issue - it's rare I ride more than 50 miles and don't see at least one on the side of the road (twisted so I know somebody hit it!) - the state contractors licence numbers exceeded 1 million a couple years ago - I agree constant vigilance is mandatory - I'm not a complete cynic however - I pick my times since I don't often commute on my bike - and I try to pick my routes to get roads that harken back to a mellower time with less traffic. I still enjoy riding here in Northern Cal and sometimes go to SoCal and inevitably have to use the LA freeways - I find the Southern California drivers are actually better and more accustomed to MC riders. Hang in there and stay safe - many of my friends and family do not get why I ride and my feeling is they never will - for those of us that do there is an intrinsic value and experience that usually can not be explained. At the risk of referencing the population issue - I recall there was a Zero Population Growth movement in the 70's - that worked pretty well.....

Riding on...
Curt

To be fair........watch a homeowner-
Bring home a Christmas tree.
Bring home a mattress.
Bring home lumber or insulation from the home improvement store.
I could go on......it's a Road Warrior world. Just have to make the best of it.......or give up.
OM

This is why I am doing more and more small displacement dual sport riding on fire roads and section lines. Peaceful and joyful. No traffic. I love it.

Got news for ya. It ain't only in Kalifornia.

I have taken to riding in the Number 1 ( fast lane) close to the left side of the lane near the concrete freeway dividers when in congested traffic. I keep my head on a swivel looking left and right an pre-planning an escape route.
Yeah, I tried that on the 405 by the L.A. airport. In carpool lane and the truck in front of me clipped a six foot ladder and it came toward me spinning in the lane. Luckily, I had enough room to dodge it by using the number one lane.

What I recommend, and I am a native Californian, is to remove yourself from that environment as soon as you can swing it. Unfortunately, Montana is full, but I hear the Fargo area of North Dakota is nice.

What I recommend, and I am a native Californian, is to remove yourself from that environment as soon as you can swing it. Unfortunately, Montana is full, but I hear the Fargo area of North Dakota is nice.

I call bullsh*t on that. Western ND is nice. Not Fargo. :nod

I call bullsh*t on that. Western ND is nice. Not Fargo. :nod

Western North Dakota was nice - until the Bakken Formation was discovered. There remain nice parts, but there is a massive amount of environmental and social destruction. But I'm old enough to remember the Zip to Zap. Lock up your daughters, the man-camps are coming. :banghead

As an Oregon governor (I voted for him) once said, "Come for a visit but for heavens sake don't stay". This was later distorted into something like come up and spend your money then leave. Doesn't appear people listened.:banghead

Western North Dakota was nice - until the Bakken Formation was discovered. There remain nice parts, but there is a massive amount of environmental and social destruction. But I'm old enough to remember the Zip to Zap. Lock up your daughters, the man-camps are coming. :banghead

I concur, there is a lot of destruction. But hey, Zip to Zap! I love that you mentioned that. :) I went to the 10th, 20th, 30th and then 40th reunions. Smaller scale but what a blast. The 50th is coming up soon I think. I'm aging but I love a good party.

Ok, sorry, back to the thread topic, riding in traffic. :thumb

You're just trying to discourage those that wish to inhabit zee beeg sky country. Hey, there's always Havre, MT., AKA you can have her.:)

NorthEastern California

Well, I live in the far NorthEastern corner of California. The biggest traffic hazard up here are deer!! Lots of two lane driving up here and into Southeast Oregonia with not too much congestion!35B348AA-2881-46E3-86C0-AF77E0C61A37.jpg

Last edited:
I concur, there is a lot of destruction. But hey, Zip to Zap! I love that you mentioned that. :) I went to the 10th, 20th, 30th and then 40th reunions. Smaller scale but what a blast. The 50th is coming up soon I think. I'm aging but I love a good party.

Ok, sorry, back to the thread topic, riding in traffic. :thumb

But before we go back to California, the 50th of Zip to Zap will be in 2019. For the uninitiated, do a search on Zip to Zap. It will both amaze and amuse.

Two or three years ago David Hough (If you don't know, look him up) was conducting an early morning "Coffee with Dave" at the Hot Springs Rally in Nakusp, BC. He looked around the room at the graying attendees and posed a question.

"We are getting older. What strategies can anybody suggest to allow us to continue riding as we get older?"

I pondered the question for a while and the opined: "Smaller bikes, shorter days, and lonelier roads."

I stand by that prescription. We will return to Nakusp this year, riding back roads, shorter days, and our new G310GS bikes. The R1100 and R1150 bikes, the F800 and the K75s are staying home. We will be on lonlier roads for shorter days on G310GSs.

+1
Left Dickinson then Bismarck at the end of the last boom. Traveling through there the last few summers is a bit depressing—the changes are obvious. The Enchanted Highway is still a good trip, tho, and I recommend the Enchanted Castle motel at the southern end of the road.
Best,
DG

PS: about that “discovery”... When we left, landmen we’re wrapping up the leases, wells to 12k ft deep and more were common, slant-hole/horizontal drilling was already in play as was fracking. The only thing discovered was the $$/barrel level that would maximize profits and justify exercising the leases...

As to the original post in this thread, I first rode to California (LA), from my home in Ottawa, ON, in 2006. While I was there I went to Brown's BMW for an oil & filter change (and to have EffBee help with a small problem with my Autocom). As I was waiting for my bike, I ended up talking to two CHIP motorcycle officers, who also had their bikes in for service. I asked for some advice on riding the freeways of California. First recommendation was to always ride in the fast (#1) lane, because of the idiots who cut across several lanes to get to an exit at the last minute, and do it without paying attention for things like motorcycles. And, it often gives you somewhere to go (to the left) as a last resort to avoid things like road hazards. Second was to travel at a speed slightly faster than the flow of traffic, just so you're not in a "fixed" position, relative to other vehicles.

Back