• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stripped head stud

RPGR90s

I have a R60/5 and one of the head bolt studs is pulling out of the block (left side upper intake). I seem to recall a jig/tool that is used to assure that the hole is drilled and a time-sert/heli-coil is installed correctly, but cannot locate one.

If anyone knows where I can rent one, that would be appreciated.

Thanks much,

RPGR90sHead Stud Failure.jpg

Pretty easy to drill those straight since it's such a deep thread. Get the kit, drill it with an oversized bit and insert the helicoil. It's the short ones that are difficult to get straight.

Pretty easy to drill those straight since it's such a deep thread. Get the kit, drill it with an oversized bit and insert the helicoil. It's the short ones that are difficult to get straight.
Pretty straight forward though the top studs provide the oil passage to your rockers and valve train. Make sure you still have an oil passage when you’re done. Also, I prefer timeserts for thread replacement. They definitely make a more secure thread, but you can strip any thread by over torquing it. Good luck with your project. Get it back on the road soon.

Thank you all!

If it was my bike, I would probably just pull the stud, and do a very careful job of installing a heli-coil or time-sert, but it's for a friend of mine and he rides it daily. I've done a lot of work on it getting it very reliable and it would kill me if I returned it and the threads pulled out, while he's somewhere hundreds of miles from home.

So hopefully, I can use the approved jig, but barring that, I'm good enough to repair the threads without special tools......

Northwoods Airheads has/had the tool/jig for this job he rented out, not sure he's still out there. I've bought from him around 4 years ago. Just a reminder to back off the head nuts slightly and then retorque.

For the OP: I'm curious what torque value in ft/lbs you have been using for head studs.

I do them in stages.

10 ft. lbs.
15 ft. lbs.
25 ft. lbs.

In this case, I was replacing a head gasket and noticed while removing the rocker arm nuts that the upper right (intake on left side) didn't have the same torque as the others.

I had assembled this motor weeks ago and the client put about 200 miles on it. It struck me odd so in the back of my mind, I was extra diligent when re-assembling and on that nut, at around 15 ft. lbs., I could tell it wasn't clamping down normally.

Back