• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Street tires on the R100GS

ohiorider

It's been a long time since I've run street tread on the GS. For the past several years, I've run Tourances. However, I'm about to change tires, and was considering mounting a set of ME880 front and rear. (90/90 front - 140/80 rear). I'm running 880s for the first time on my new Bonneville, and really like the way they lay into turns.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Metzeler makes a 130/90-17 in the 880 Series, and I'm afraid the 140/80-17 profile may rub the shock spring. The current 130 Tourance comes quite close.

Has anyone run the following successfully?
880 front with ME88 rear
880 front with 880 (140/80) rear

Thanks for any quick responses. I'm on my way out of town and would like to order tires before leaving today.

Regards,

Bob

Why change from the Tourances?? Do you do all road riding??
I run Michelin Anakees on my GSPD, and I do 95% road work, and dont have a problem with them.

Sometimes running street type tyres on these bikes can be a backward step.
The current Dual purpose tyres are pretty good.

I have 1992 r100gspd and run Anakees on it.The tires are great on dirt roads as well as pavement.This is the second set ive installed and ive got good use out of them.

It's been a long time since I've run street tread on the GS. For the past several years, I've run Tourances. However, I'm about to change tires, and was considering mounting a set of ME880 front and rear. (90/90 front - 140/80 rear). I'm running 880s for the first time on my new Bonneville, and really like the way they lay into turns.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Metzeler makes a 130/90-17 in the 880 Series, and I'm afraid the 140/80-17 profile may rub the shock spring. The current 130 Tourance comes quite close.

Has anyone run the following successfully?
880 front with ME88 rear
880 front with 880 (140/80) rear

Thanks for any quick responses. I'm on my way out of town and would like to order tires before leaving today.

Regards,

Bob

I think the 140-80-17 will fit in the rear with a sliver of clearance left over...on your R100GS...measure the incremental difference between the 140 and 130 profile and I bet you its less than the difference between the swingarm and tire.

I've run the 880 front with ME88 rear multiple times on my K75s...because of the 130-90-17 size limitation...BUT its my favorite combo...

The swingarm isnt the clearance problem, the shocker spring is.

I put a Progresive on my GSPD, and the 130 tyre doesnt have very much clearance, and I have actually seen one rubbing.

The swingarm isnt the clearance problem, the shocker spring is.

I put a Progresive on my GSPD, and the 130 tyre doesnt have very much clearance, and I have actually seen one rubbing.

Good to know...but would this be the case with most aftermarket shocks?

I think the 140-80-17 will fit in the rear with a sliver of clearance left over...on your R100GS...measure the incremental difference between the 140 and 130 profile and I bet you its less than the difference between the swingarm and tire.

I've run the 880 front with ME88 rear multiple times on my K75s...because of the 130-90-17 size limitation...BUT its my favorite combo...
After reviewing the available tires, I'm thinking about using the same combination you've used on your K75 ... the 880 on the front and the 88 on the rear. After eyeballing the clearance between my stock shock spring and the current Tourance, I'm afraid the 140 might rub the spring.

Thanks to all for your opinions and observations.

Bob

EDIT - I'm running 880s on my 2003 Bonneville and really like how they handle. Does the combo of 880 front and 88 rear lay easily into a turn .... and perhaps more importantly, does that combo stay where you put it, once countersteered into the turn? I realize this stuff is all quite subjective, but your thoughts and opinions are valued.

Back