• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Starter Noise on R850R...

R

RustyJones

OK, so I'm new on BMW's...Just washed my (new to me) 97 R850R...Now when I crank it I get a grinding noise in the starter. it started immediately after the wash...The noise goes away when she warms up...but none the less...

A simple wash with Simple Green and water....could I have gotten water somewhere it should not go??

Any ideas???

Thanks!!!

I had a '97 R1100R that did the same thing. It turned out to be the starter going bad. It’s probably just a coincidence that it started after the wash. If you want to do it yourself, the starter is easy to replace since it is totally exposed.

I would not wait too long though.

Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of folks here!

Easy :german

Back