• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spydering

I haven't had the opportunity to take an Ace for a spin, but I like the idea. I think I would have preferred an Ace to the Spyder--except for the price tag being slightly more than double.

Pete Larson will continue to build a limited number of Ace Cycle Cars at his business in Seattle. Morgan in England has purchased the rights to the Ace design, and we must assume will be building their version within a year or two, with Morgan badges.

Larson also continues to build the very excellent Liberty sidecar for certain models of Harley-Davidson, which is especially good news since H-D has decided to cease sidecar production.

pmdave

Spyder Too Small

For reference, my sign-on name over on the SpyderLovers list is 1-up.

Having sold my 1981 Honda Goldwing over a year ago due to my own physical problems due to illness, thought I would give myself time to come to terms with my recreational motorcycle riding.
Tried to ride a friend's Spyder, on a damp Saturday during the first weekend in Ocotober. There are images over on the SpyderLovers website illustrating the fitment problem.

Sad to say my massive size/weight overwhelmed the poor little Spyder, and even though the handlebars had been exteneded by the owner, I still could not turn the handlebars as my knees struck the bars. There are numerous negative factors to the device; the website illustrates BRP really hasn't got the system functioning, problems with overheating, the belts have problems, as well as the sprockets and the total machine seems very dependent upon a vary large amount of computer based technogoly. Yes the design is different, but then so were the early Morgan automobiles, although the speeds then and the road surfaces were vastly different.

Have thought of reverting back to a sidecar, if only for the ease for which modifications may be made. Here in Canada there are so many restrictions of changing wheeled vehicles or even building one to suit that it is discouraging to look elsewhere and see recreational transport devices different yet viable and available. Have thought of building my own three wheeledn machine similar to a Morgan, however one has to start with a registered machine, first. And also to be able to obtin insurance for a roadcertifieid and legal machine.

There are motorcycle exhibitions in nearby Toronto this coming winter season, shall go with friends to see what I can and can not fit upon. No doubt all of them shall have to be modified in some way, shape or manner to handle my size. These days I propel a four-wheeled walker most of the time, and there shall have to be space made for that aid as well.

No rush, still looking, but still wondering, as well.

It might appear that the Spyder can carry a huge load, since it's wide and long. But adding weight over the single rear wheel really affects handling, as I discovered in July when another rider needed a short lift. I suspect he weighed 250-275 lb. I really took the corners cautiously.

At the risk of seeming to be anti-BMW, may I suggest an H-D/Liberty sidecar combo. H-D's may appear to have too-compact seating, but with a sidecar outfit the driver has lots more room, and a passenger gets the sidecar. The weight of the H-D helps keep the car on the ground, even without a passenger.

For whatever reasons, H-Ds seem to handle weight very well. And the Liberty sidecar is a high quality piece. I know Pete has also installed an aftermarket reverse gear on several Harley outfits.

Of course, learning to drive an outfit is another interesting adventure. Help is available. See the sidecar section of the forum.

pmdave

I also agree that BRP has made the Spyder very dependent on computerization. That allows electronic gremlins to rear their ugly heads, and makes it difficult for an owner to solve problems.

However, BRP is also faced with Spyder owners who have no prior motorcycle experience. They compare Spyder servicing with auto servicing. But Spyder dealers don't have the numbers to do it "auto" style, and Spyder owners often don't appreciate what's involved in maintaining a motorcycle.

For instance, one owner complained of poor cornering, and when BRP sent out a rep to investigate, he found the front tires had 10 psi or something similar. Likewise, the shock springs need to be set to firm, not soft.

And, with a three-wheeler, it really helps for the driver to hang off toward curves, both to reduce wallow and to make steering easier. If a driver is unable to do much weight shift in the saddle, that's definitely a limiting factor.

BTW, the current iteration of the Morgan three-wheeler is the Liberty Ace Cycle Car, the rights to which Morgan has recently acquired.

pmdave

Size Does Matter!

I am not entirely unfamiliar with sidecars, having imported the first Unit XL sidecar from Sible Hedingham in
Esex England to Canada and also equipping my 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate
the superb Unit leading link forks in 1986.
My form of employment had disappeared in the year 2000 and in order to survive without
sustaianable income sold many of my goods, including the XL sidecar.
Figured another sidecar could be purchased if funds permitted.

Sold the chair to a chap from a town on the Hudson River who drove from there
to my residence in Burlington Ontario collected the chair in the back of an eight
foot box pick me up truck and returned
to Beacon New York the same day. Have had no contact with the purchaser since,
and he had no problems clearing the international border. I also imported leading
link forks into Canada for a while but ran afoul of Canadian importation laws as such
goods had to be marketed and labelled in French and English, only.
The importing company folded soon there after.

As has been noted elsewhere, sold the Goldwing last year with reluctaance.
A diagnosis of Lupus followed by two different forms of cancer have made
the last five years interesting; and my riding experience was greatly dimished.

So have been looking at alternatives. The Spyder is different no doubt however
it will handle a limited weight, and my body weight currently is about 400 pounds.
My long body doesn't help either. So to ride a Spyder may well not be possible.

And too have thought of a Harley-Davidson style machine however they too are physically
really quite small, smaller than even my Goldwing that was and even moreso tor the
present Honda Goldwings.

I look at the current crop of all motorcycles and think the world's riders all have short legs!

So for me it is back to looking at alternatives if I wish to return to riding a motorcycle with sidecar.
Having had vacations in the UK, and having viewed the various different developed sidecar
rigs some with non-motorcycle engines, known full well such devices would never be acceptable
here in Canada. Even now some motorcycles seen in the United States never see the light of
day in Canada.

Motorcycle shows, together with a measuring tape is the next step methinks.

Tallnbig68

G/s >

Which is one reason I am going to the motorcycle show in Toronto
in November.
Sidecars even here are rare; see more of them on a Ural.
And Dave Hannigan started in Toronto
before wisely
moving to where his market is
far more lucrative.

Back