• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spring 08 TX Hill Country Ride Part 1

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Finally getting around to doing some ride reports...took me awhile to figure out the stream of pictures,but with some advice from SNC1923(Tom M) I gave it a try with Foggy TX Ride the other day and it worked! Also BeerTeams beautiful reports make me try harder too!

Sitting inside instead of breaking Helen's 1150 down for a spline lube and TB rebuild sounded good today...only 34 here today,but for me that's too cold!
So, here is last Springs ride in the area NW of Frederickburg...Mason,Castell, and LLano to mention a few.

Leaving Austin headed west...found the construction zone right off the bat

268262481_7h8rq-M.jpg

Left LLano and headed west on CR 152 towards Castell, found this marker in the remnants of town honoring veterans and Texas Rangers from the community

268262485_kuL8t-M.jpg

Crossed the Llano River and stopped on the crossing for a few shots,one the remnants of a bridge long gone...these rivers in the Hill Country flash flood in heavy rains with quite the force making these low water crossings impassable for hours or days...today was dry

268262551_GBnRL-M.jpg

268262552_vm7ii-M.jpg

268262543_HSKss-M.jpg

On the other side of the river was a historical marker,this area of Central Texas is heavily German settlement influenced.

268262610_rjX6G-M.jpg

268262592_S6MNB-M.jpg

I continued north from Castell to HWY 29 and headed west towards Art and RM 1900. Turning onto 1900 I stopped at this pink granite uplift...lot's of this in the area,they used this in building the Texas Capital among other notable buildings in the major cities...Marble Falls has the largest quarry still operating in the area.

268262635_mEzNU-M.jpg

further up the road was an intersection with RM 2618..I hung a right

268262676_79fWv-M.jpg

Shortly saw this

268262729_MhLb5-M.jpg

then this! MOOOve!

268262810_8ffcY-M.jpg

268262856_taoZv-M.jpg

continued up Fly Gap road to town of Fredonia...not much here except Post Office in the old store

268262888_okbxz-M.jpg

Headed away from Fredonia towards LUNCH in Mason,the county seat, passing this ol'boy

268262921_RVt6z-M.jpg

Mason,TX...ranching town,county seat and starting to see artsy-fartsy rebirth of downtown...not a bad day ride if you are out this way...several eating options along the town square.
this from a previous ride
441208069_y3TLA-M.jpg

This rides choice...Tacos...
268262965_NwK2S-M.jpg

left lunch and rode a little around town
268263243_xmtwG-M.jpg

couldn't get a side/underneath look,seems I was on someones property and they were eyeballing me

268262927_PDUH9-M.jpg

anoher old German families home...bank president maybe?Forgot the sign!

268262943_Wnpuh-M.jpg

Left Mason headed Southeast on US 87,crossing the Llano River again on RM 1723 as it turned to gravel towards RR 783

268262972_8ZFuh-M.jpg

Last edited:
Spring 08 TX Hill Country Ride Part 2

this is the concrete truss bridge...
268262927_PDUH9-M.jpg

continuing on gravel road that was RR1732,
268262982_DNyd3-M.jpg

i took a right at intersection with RR783,this is another German named town that is all but gone, also lot's of these style family homes from German heritage I assume dot this region...lot's of family workers for the ranch/farm...this one is in really great shape

268263035_7GnM6-M.jpg

268263078_ykP6G-M.jpg

Headed south on RR783,crossing US 290 in Harper,veering south again on RR2093 which is a great alternative to busy US 290 headed east to Fredericksburg...it is twisty & hilly and very lightly travelled..this picture sucks!

268263083_AZfMm-M.jpg

The Gillespie County Airport in F'Burg has a neat restaraunt and hotel,the latter being a restored hangar...have not stayed here..YET! Have eaten at the diner...was reasonable and tasty

268263142_sFotK-M.jpg

268263139_7xddc-M.jpg

268263134_ttMKH-M.jpg

left F'burg and headed east again,making the usual stop in Luckenbach for a cool drink taking the Old San Antonio Road and Grapetown Rd just south of US 290
I live 24 miles from L'Bach now, this trip I was still near Austin and still 65 miles to go.This parking lot is usually full of bikes and peoaple...especially in summer...not today!

268263186_3gKUR-M.jpg

Dang Rooster always checks my bikes out! Glad it isn't a big ol' dog!

268263207_XQLR8-M.jpg

That's all on this trip...rode into Austin with rush hour building...parked and called it a day...the trip was around 180 miles with a few pics along the way...Lot's of side roads to check out...most are paved and get you away from the point A to B rush of the major highways...c'mon down and check them out sometime. I use RR designations on most of my abbreviations...a lot, that is short for Ranch Road,a Texas Highway numbering scheme... also some signs say RM...Ranch to Market...depends where in Texas you are...some are FM...yep,Farm to Market.

Steve

Last edited:
Nice report! I know some of those areas, but there were a lot of new places to see too!

continued up Fly Gap road to town of Fredonia...not much here except Post Office in the old store

268262888_okbxz-M.jpg

awesome report.

freedonia.... where's tessler?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dsw9jYU_rJI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dsw9jYU_rJI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ian

Your ride report

Why don't you submit this for an article in your local BMW newsletter, well done. Graham

Back