• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Something weird happened tonight...

After working on the bikes at a friends house, I left my battery cover/cylinder fairing at his house. Haven't had time to go fetch it back yet.

So, I'm riding to work today and it was raining pretty hard. Ended up having to go very slowly through a few hundred yards of 2-4 inches of standing water. Poor road drainage on this one section of the road.

Anyway, when I got on the bike tonight to ride home, all of my dash preferences were different. Instead of the speedo in the center, there was the RT logo. Favorite page had changed from the heated grip setting to the trip page. And my usual tire pressure had been replace by fuel consumption. I believe these are all the default settings that were there when I first bought the bike. I changed them all back and rode home. We'll see if they stay that way tomorrow.

I'm guessing something got wet, but it was strange.

Anybody ever had this happen?

One of the many microprocessors went through a "reset" routine.

A couple of years ago, I actually watched mine reset while riding down the road. The engine never missed a beat but the digital display blanked momentarily and then seemed to go through the same display sequence as when you first power it up. I did notice later that my preferences for showing the digital speedometer had changed and there were a few other things as well. I have read several posts from riders who have commented that their display preferences seemed to have changed - it's my opinion that the microprocessor that drives the display system had an error, flushed the memory, and reset.

At first I found it to be a little unnerving until I thought more about the problem. Our modern vehicles are incredibly complicated and there is a host of computers that allow them to run efficiently. These computers are connected through a network bus and pass data through this CAN bus. The display system computer is on this bus but independent from the more important system that manages the engine. That's why the display can reset while running and the engine keeps purring, as if nothing has ever happened. Evidently this display system resets every so often. I have seen it and I think that others may have experienced it as well. You may have just experienced the same issue and it could be coincidence that it occurred after riding through some deep water. All in all, since there appears to be so few people that have reported it, this is pretty rare.

Similar thing happened to me twice in past few months. In my case I go to start up after a few days not riding and get one crank then a thunk and the screen goes blank. Starts up then like nothing happened only all my settings had reverted to default e.g., RT background.

I'm coming up on 4 years on the OEM battery so I'm wondering if there were just not quite enough cranking amps available and it shut down as a safety. Who knows. The battery measures at 12.8 volts so seems ok but that's not a load test. I know that once a battery is "on" it can rejuvenate itself a bit just by the heat of the current so maybe then could find the amps to start.

Anyway just ordered a fresh battery which I hope will sort things out.

BTW my GS911 scanner found no fault codes. If there was an open circuit it would probably have logged that.

Back