• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

bmrrdr

Hi all, I’m planning a trip this summer to Tuktoyaktuk from AR. Have a 16 R1200GS adv. seriously considering some soft panniers. Would like some friendly input. Been looking at a bunch of them. Think I’ve ruled out the Mosko Moto\ BMW Atacama ‘s because of the mounting plate install and removal when I want to go from hard to soft and vice versa.
Lone riders(made in China)and pricey and Giant Loops again way pricey. That leaves Tusk, Enduristan, Bumot( my fav I think) Givi sure I’m forgetting some. Again thanks for the input

YMMV of course but I've had the Mosko on three bike now and its nice kit. They make an adapter plate to play with the OEM racks and its annoying the cost but it does solve the issue. I've mixed them and the hard cases and I'm a fan. On my incoming 1250GSA I think I may go only mosko soft gear and no hard cases ar all.

I've got to second the Mosko Moto soft bags. These work very well.

You'll like the adaptor bracket fitting to the OEM racks when traveling - the bags come off in 15 seconds so you can take them into hotel.

The adapter plates go on and off quickly if you want to switch to hard cases. We like soft cases when we're in harder rides or sand, hard cases for highway.

You can use the adapter plates for different bikes as well. We use them on both GSA's and 690's - stock BMW cases won't fit the KTM racks.

Wife, on her 690, caught a limb sticking out on some single tract on Idaho BDR. Ripped the bag but Mosko Moto fixed it up quickly, at a reasonable cost with quality workmanship.

Be Brave.

I have a set of Giant Loop 25 liter "Mototrek" soft panniers that I Adapted to permanently attach to a set of their Pannier mounts (which fit nicely onto my factory pannier mounts)by making a plastic insert that fits inside the bag and bolting through the plastic (A repurposed Wal-Mart cutting board) the bag, and the mount plate. Field tested in AZ last winter, they work great. I purchased the Giant Loop parts through Alex at Black Hills Moto (bhmoto.com) who always treats me right on $$.

I side swiped a tree this summer and other than a fractured cutting g board inside the bag suffered no damage to the mount or the bag. They are quite waterproof. I can get my tent, pad, and sleeping bag in my left Pannier, tools, camp shoes, and all other camp cooking gear in the right pannier. I carry my clothing in a duffle over the rear seat.

Give Alex a call - use my name.

Since I have been looking at soft luggage as well, my money is on Bumot as these bags fit right on the OEM racks without any fuss. No brackets or plates to install etc...
Just like the hard luggage it is a matter of sliding the bags on and lock them in place.. YMMV

Since I have been looking at soft luggage as well, my money is on Bumot as these bags fit right on the OEM racks without any fuss. No brackets or plates to install etc...
Just like the hard luggage it is a matter of sliding the bags on and lock them in place.. YMMV

Kind of what I’m thinking. Still researching bit leaning toward bumot. Too easy. No plates to put on and off no adapting this or that. And I know they aren’t made in china! Can’t get an answer to that question on the Mosko moto. I like them except for the plates. Anybody have tusk or Nelson rigg?

I have the Mosko 35L bags and just got the Gateway BMW Akalaka Mounting plates. They are great, mount directly to the adv racks and lock on just like hard bags. Not cheap but well worth it in my opinion.

2022-01-17 19.51.50 (Medium).jpg2022-01-17 19.51.33 (Medium).jpg2022-01-17 19.51.50 (Medium).jpg2022-01-17 19.51.33 (Medium).jpg

Kind of what I’m thinking. Still researching bit leaning toward bumot. Too easy. No plates to put on and off no adapting this or that. And I know they aren’t made in china! Can’t get an answer to that question on the Mosko moto. I like them except for the plates. Anybody have tusk or Nelson rigg?

MoskoMoto is not made in China they are made in Asia then Assembled either here in the US or in Europe.

Hey thanks ts, the bumot and mosko’s are both around 800. How much did the BMW Alaska plates set you back.

With latches and tumblers $800 or close to it. They are not cheap. But they are the best solution if you have adventure racks.

You could also consider the Mosko Reckless 80. I use those for off road trips on my GS and love them. They do not require you to install any mounting plates.

So we’re talking about 1600 for mosko bags and Ak mounts??

Maybe. Never priced them. They look good. I can’t remember what the black vario cases and mounts for my F800GS cost……$2200? The high-end motorcycle hobby can run into some money.
I have seen high-end motorcycles with milk crates bungee corded on…..not for me.
OM

Around $500 for the Giant Loop setup. They also lock directly to your stock GS Adv racks. The Giant Loop mount plates can handle any soft bag. Why spend $1K when $500 will do the job perfectly fine? The Giant Loop ates would also work really well with the Tusk bags too.

In 1974 I toured a couple of states and part of one Canadian province, two up, on a Yamaha RD 250 with canvas saddlebags I got for about $5 each at the army surplus store. We are becoming our own worst enemies.

Last edited:
Mosko +1

Hi,

For use on my GSA, I have both the mosko 35 l panniers, mosko back country duffel for soft luggage and hard aluminium panniers, each have their pros.

Aluminium - easy to get on and off, locking, never dropped bike with them on so not sure if they withstand a drop. I have never weighed them but I think they are lighter than the mosko bags. pretty much the same volume for storage. I would recommend if you are primarily road trips, locking is nice to have if you are concerned with people going through your stuff when out wandering around.

Mosko bags - the brackets are not that hard to get on and off, a 10 min kind of deal. These are pretty much bomb proof, drop bike in the creek and your stuff does not get wet with the inner dry bag. You can add the smaller option bags for more storage, I have not had a problem with the molle system. They seem expensive but very well made and engineered. I don't use the back country duffel very often I'd buy the roll top bag instead. I actually use a vizo moto roll top bag for a top bag, very in expensive single wall dry bag that just works.

My recommendation

Heading to National Parks, just touring around the Aluminium would be my choice. Heading out on the TAT or BDR, dropping the bike maybe banging you ankles into panniers Id say go soft luggage.

You will end up with both by the time you are done! :brow

In 1974 I toured a couple of states and part of one Canadian province, two up, on a Yamaha RD 250 with canvas saddlebags I got for about $5 each at the army surplus store. We are becoming our own worst enemies.

Good riding days in the ‘70s. :) I just used bungee cords and occasionally a cardboard box (when it wasn’t raining). Rode six days off-road (mainly) in Bolivia last month with two 35L Sea to Summit dry bags strapped to the back of the DR650 I was riding. Worked like a charm… it rained like hell.

With hard luggage, liners are the way to go.

Back