• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

simple oil change question (R1200R 2012) - oil cooler..

K1600_gtl

When you drain the oil in an oil change, and you allow it to drain for 20 min so there is nothing left dripping out..... does the oil cooler also empty? IF not, what amount should be added if the total capacity is 4 Liters?

thanks

Last edited:
I park on side stand overnight and then on center stand to drain. This way the oil cooler has drained back into the sump. I prefill the new oil filter and install it and then add 3 quarts of oil and watch the sight glass as I top up to the middle of the glass.

Last edited:
I park on side stand overnight and then on center stand to drain. This way the oil cooler has drained back into the sump. I prefill the new oil filter and install it and then add 3 quarts of oil and watch the sight glass as I top up to the middle of the glass.

so do you think with 30 min drain time on the center stand the oil cooler was dumped? I'm trying to figure out if I might have overfilled a bit... since I basically added the full 4 quarts (including filling the filter)..

although based on watching the level drop in the sight glass after engine start, it seems to drop right away from the top which leads me to think it's right at the top of the glass now.

I have no idea how much oil you have in your bike. Follow the directions, side stand, then center stand and look at the round window.

Drain it, prefill the filter, add 3 quarts, go for a ride. Come back, put the bike on the center stand after 5 minutes on the side stand, look at the sightglass, and add oil as necessary.

Drain it, prefill the filter, add 3 quarts, go for a ride. Come back, put the bike on the center stand after 5 minutes on the side stand, look at the sightglass, and add oil as necessary.

That won't add up to 4 quarts.

Ponch --

Use the side stand to ensure the oil cooler drains into the motor; let it remain on the side stand for a while. Similar to MPMARTY's suggestion, I put the RT on the side stand the evening before I do an oil change. In the morning, I hoist it onto the center stand, walk the dog, have breakfast, then change the oil.

Also, trust the sight-glass. It takes 0.5 litres to raise the oil level from the bottom of the sight glass to the top. I usually fill to 3.5 quarts of oil, button things up, then go for a ride keeping the temperature an the normal level for about a half hour. When I return home, I leave the bike on the side stand until it is cool, then put it up on the center stand. After a while, I check the sight-glass and fill to just shy of the top.

IIRC, I always have a bit of oil left in the fourth quart. I figure that the process to drain the oil does not get ALL the oil out of the motor, hence the leftover amount.

Cheers,

Oil change basics

Greetings There is a great DIY section in this forum. Highly advised to read.
Not really a good practice to change your oil cold. The capacity of an R12RT is four LITERS not four quarts. I have yet to detirmine how important sidestand placement is to remove that last little bit. I have noticed that 4 liters comes real close to overfilling. I place about 3.75 liters in the crankcase and then fill to sight glass level as needed after a warm up/park on level surface. Consult your owners manual for the proper method of inspecting the oil level.

Ponch --

Use the side stand to ensure the oil cooler drains into the motor; let it remain on the side stand for a while. Similar to MPMARTY's suggestion, I put the RT on the side stand the evening before I do an oil change. In the morning, I hoist it onto the center stand, walk the dog, have breakfast, then change the oil.

Also, trust the sight-glass. It takes 0.5 litres to raise the oil level from the bottom of the sight glass to the top. I usually fill to 3.5 quarts of oil, button things up, then go for a ride keeping the temperature an the normal level for about a half hour. When I return home, I leave the bike on the side stand until it is cool, then put it up on the center stand. After a while, I check the sight-glass and fill to just shy of the top.

IIRC, I always have a bit of oil left in the fourth quart. I figure that the process to drain the oil does not get ALL the oil out of the motor, hence the leftover amount.

Cheers,

Makes sense.

Greetings There is a great DIY section in this forum. Highly advised to read.
Not really a good practice to change your oil cold. The capacity of an R12RT is four LITERS not four quarts. I have yet to detirmine how important sidestand placement is to remove that last little bit. I have noticed that 4 liters comes real close to overfilling. I place about 3.75 liters in the crankcase and then fill to sight glass level as needed after a warm up/park on level surface. Consult your owners manual for the proper method of inspecting the oil level.

good info, thanks... I did consult the DIY section before I did my change, and there was no mention of the kick stand in there. It did however sit on the kick stand for about 5 min before I put it up on the center stand so maybe I did what they're saying without even realizing what I was doing! I did change my oil while warm (actually it was quite hot, having only sat 10 min or so after a good ride).

I just did a double check this AM of my sight glass and it does appear that I am NOT over filled, the top of the fill line appears to be right at the top of the glass... slightly above the circle ring, but not high enough to cause worry. Oddly, I must have really drained it well since it took all but 1/10 of the 4 bottles.

I just filled R1200R (2009) with 4 quarts (I forgot it takes a little less). The oil level is slightly above the top of the sight glass, but given mine still drinks a bit, that will be rectified soon.

I just filled R1200R (2009) with 4 quarts (I forgot it takes a little less). The oil level is slightly above the top of the sight glass, but given mine still drinks a bit, that will be rectified soon.

well, seeing how the rated capacity is 4 liters, and 4 liters is 4.2+ quarts... I think adding the full 4 quarts is unlikely to cause any problem with overfill if one drains the motor for a reasonable period of time while hot/warm.

4 quarts on my 2011RT takes it right to the top of the sight glass... You can just see the oil level at the very top. Perfect! :brad

actually,filled to the top of the sight glass is not perfect. perfect is middle of glass to 3/4 of glass.
top is acceptable, but not perfect.

well, seeing how the rated capacity is 4 liters, and 4 liters is 4.2+ quarts... I think adding the full 4 quarts is unlikely to cause any problem with overfill if one drains the motor for a reasonable period of time while hot/warm.

Your assuming that all 4.2 quarts drained out.
It doesn't.
That's why most of us add 3.5 or so, and use the window for the final go/no go gage
max

Your assuming that all 4.2 quarts drained out.
It doesn't.
That's why most of us add 3.5 or so, and use the window for the final go/no go gage
max

you're right that's the correct way to do it, however in my case, I just refilled the empty bottles with my used oil (to ease in taking to a disposal drop) and it happened to fill almost all 4 bottles... so worse case, we're talking .2 quarts didn't drain out, and this assumes absolutely no burned oil in the 1000 miles I rode, which is not far fetched.

I contacted my local dealer and he said the oil cooler capacity is "negligible" at around .1 liters.

Back