• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

silver paint to match bodywork

woody99

I have a R1200rt 2009 and have some scratches on the silver body work under the blue tank and fenders does anyone have paint to match this aside from BMW. The solid silver that is not on tank and fenders. Thanks Woody

The parts fiche show that paint as White Aluminum III, the paint code is 955. It's a pretty common color, Google should find many sources.

I've been happy with the color matches in the kits from Scratcheshappen.com. Take a look here.

Off the shelf

The valve covers on my 2010 were very scuffed up when I bought it, and I just finished performing plastic surgery on them. When it came to paint, I looked for the closest off the shelf I could find. I ended up using a Rustoleum High Heat Ultra #270201 HT (six bucks at Menards).

It is not a perfect match - color is good, but it is a metal flake. I feathered it at the sharp edges, so I don't think the average non-trailer queen type will notice. Depends upon how you roll.

Stock is on the left, Rustoleum to the right of my finger.

side cover.jpg

If you know the BMW paint color code, you might be able to source a kit from Dr. Color Chip that will fill in the scratches or chips pretty nicely. Check YouTube for some examples of people fixing their paint with their paint system.

They don't show BMW motorcycles, but paint codes are paint codes at BMW, so if you know that you have an Alpine White bike, you can use the BMW car Alpine White on your bike.

Might be easier that trying to respray the whole panel.

https://drcolorchip.com

Back