• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sigh, I did it again: 1976 R90/6

lucky23

I haven't been on here for a spell. A couple years ago, I bought a 1974 R60 from a friends grandfather. After much lost sleep and money, I restored her only to be sideswiped by a texting driver on the second test ride. Sold it the next week. I bought a super clean '99 Harley Sportster and rode it for a while. I actually really like it, but its not an airhead. SO last week I called on a 1976 R90/6 I saw on Craigslist for $2750 totally on impulse. Im the first guy he calls back and asks if I'm still interested. I say yes The owner brought it to my house in the back of a truck and I bought it. Seems to run good, 36,000 miles, Progressive shocks, Staintune mufflers, hard bags, Luftmeister fairing, and Lester wheels, which I'm not thrilled with, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Ive owned 3 R75s, one R80, one R60, but never an R90, which I always wanted. Well, an R90S really, but this will suffice. I paid $2600, which may have been too much, but I can live with it. This bike spoke to me. really. I had to rescue it! Glad to be back among the airheads!
Heres what it looked like when he dropped it off:

Heres after a little elbow grease and copious single malt scotches:

Right off the bat, I ordered some side covers, changed all the fluids, and ordered some carb rebuild kits. Ill adjust the valves tomorrow. The tags expired in 2009, so I suspect its been sitting since then. I haven't had a chance to ride it at length yet, but Ill report back when I do. I know theres gonna be issues, but it starts and idles great, no smoke. Im in love:)

That's a great find

You got Lucky Lucky! That's a nice bike and it was delivered no less. The fairing might make a nice planter if trimmed up nicely. It looks as though the front end has been upgraded to dual disc and /5 fork boots so I would venture to guess it has been taken care of fairly well. I'm with you on the Lesters, I have a set on my 100S just to be able to roll it around until I get around to rebuilding the stock wheels. I just got a set of stock wheels from a guy on IBMW, he has nice stuff and very fair prices. I wish my rescue R 90/6 looked as good as yours.

This morning I'm going to look at an R 69S that's been sitting in pieces (larger pieces as opposed to boxes of little parts) in a barn (yup in a barn) since 1975, the price is right so I hope the bike is right too.

You got Lucky Lucky! That's a nice bike and it was delivered no less. The fairing might make a nice planter if trimmed up nicely. It looks as though the front end has been upgraded to dual disc and /5 fork boots so I would venture to guess it has been taken care of fairly well. I'm with you on the Lesters, I have a set on my 100S just to be able to roll it around until I get around to rebuilding the stock wheels. I just got a set of stock wheels from a guy on IBMW, he has nice stuff and very fair prices. I wish my rescue R 90/6 looked as good as yours.

This morning I'm going to look at an R 69S that's been sitting in pieces (larger pieces as opposed to boxes of little parts) in a barn (yup in a barn) since 1975, the price is right so I hope the bike is right too.
Nice! Post pix when you pick it up....

Very nice! I'm a sucker for orphans too. Here's my R90/6 after a year long restoration and my current project

2904ab3b6572ec9d4be8ad7971e1c044.jpg

2d0da4d2e80bc901e1461ff7fdb44cbb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice! I'm a sucker for orphans too. Here's my R90/6 after a year long restoration and my current project

2904ab3b6572ec9d4be8ad7971e1c044.jpg

2d0da4d2e80bc901e1461ff7fdb44cbb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Holy smokes! That R90 is gorgeous. I love the Granada Red. Did you replace the plastic turn signals or did some R90s come with the alloy ones? What a great pair of bikes! There are days I miss my '72 Toaster something fierce....

Holy smokes! That R90 is gorgeous. I love the Granada Red. Did you replace the plastic turn signals or did some R90s come with the alloy ones? What a great pair of bikes! There are days I miss my '72 Toaster something fierce....

All '74 models came with aluminum turn signals.:)

Nice

I haven't been on here for a spell. A couple years ago, I bought a 1974 R60 from a friends grandfather. After much lost sleep and money, I restored her only to be sideswiped by a texting driver on the second test ride. Sold it the next week. I bought a super clean '99 Harley Sportster and rode it for a while. I actually really like it, but its not an airhead. SO last week I called on a 1976 R90/6 I saw on Craigslist for $2750 totally on impulse. Im the first guy he calls back and asks if I'm still interested. I say yes The owner brought it to my house in the back of a truck and I bought it. Seems to run good, 36,000 miles, Progressive shocks, Staintune mufflers, hard bags, Luftmeister fairing, and Lester wheels, which I'm not thrilled with, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Ive owned 3 R75s, one R80, one R60, but never an R90, which I always wanted. Well, an R90S really, but this will suffice. I paid $2600, which may have been too much, but I can live with it. This bike spoke to me. really. I had to rescue it! Glad to be back among the airheads!
Heres what it looked like when he dropped it off:

Heres after a little elbow grease and copious single malt scotches:

Right off the bat, I ordered some side covers, changed all the fluids, and ordered some carb rebuild kits. Ill adjust the valves tomorrow. The tags expired in 2009, so I suspect its been sitting since then. I haven't had a chance to ride it at length yet, but Ill report back when I do. I know theres gonna be issues, but it starts and idles great, no smoke. Im in love:)
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 103
A clean detailed /6 just has a great look. Avus Black or Grenada Red; Grenada Red or Avus Black. Wire Wheels or Lester Wheels; Lester wheels or Wire Wheels. I can't get enough. Love this stuff. :thumb

Lucky, I think ya done good! I love the classic lines of the R90/6, large tank and wire wheels. I have two myself. I'm not sure about prices in your market, but it seems like most of the /6 bikes sell for between US$3 - 4000 if they are running. Seeing this make me wonder how many R90/6 and R75/6 bikes are still on the road. While they do have some drawbacks, they are so simple and easy to work on, and parts are still readily available. Congratulations!

Lucky, I think ya done good! I love the classic lines of the R90/6, large tank and wire wheels. I have two myself. I'm not sure about prices in your market, but it seems like most of the /6 bikes sell for between US$3 - 4000 if they are running. Seeing this make me wonder how many R90/6 and R75/6 bikes are still on the road. While they do have some drawbacks, they are so simple and easy to work on, and parts are still readily available. Congratulations!
Thanks! Compared to my old Harley Shovelhead and my '72 XLCH, Airheads are SO straightforward and tough. But more importantly, and the reason I keep coming back to 'em, is the fact that they are among the few "classic" bikes that you can actually tour on reliably and comfortably. Don't get me wrong, I love old Harley Davidsons (and Triumphs, BSA's, Hondas etc) but Im thrilled to have an Airhead again, especially an R90!

Back