• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

sidecar directional stability

f14rio

i know that as speed increases drag increases exponentially. so the parasitic drag caused by the sidecar quadruples as speed doubles which causes the rig to pull to the right .

my rig is okay up to about 50 mph but steering corrections for adverse yaw are a bit uncomfortable at 70 mph.

do i just live with this or can i trim the suspension for higher speeds?

or, would additional weight be a possible solution?
thx.
16411_1024.jpg

wpjbh3rp.jpg

motorcycle-5000-demotivational-poster-1223051379.jpg

Sidecarcornering.jpg

Last edited:
Sidecar Stability at Speed

You may have problems with your sidecar setup. Neither of my two sidecar rigs has ever acted like that. The first was an Earles fork frame with a 1978 R100 engine and a Globe sidecar - rather light for the bike. My present rig is a K100LT with a Hannigan sidecar. Both rigs are/were quite stable at the highest speeds I could reach. I would check my alignment, toe-in, etc.

sidecar stability

I agree with Whitlock. I ride a '99 R1100 w/EZS Summit car (about 235 lbs) and I have very neutral steering at almost any speed I ride. Check the set up, there's got to be something not quite right.

Karl :whistle

I had both my kid & my wife in the sidecar last weekend. The rig pulled to the right a bit, but I used the electronic camber control to raise up the outboard side of the sidecar little by little til the handling got more neutral. Once I got it dialled in, no problems & straight & true tracking even up to about 75 mph.

Having said all that, without the ECC I don't know what I'd have done except rub my sore right wrist when I got home :)

--chiba

"sidecar directional stability" is an oxymoron

Somewhat like the definition of a helicopter.

A loose assemblage of parts, flying in relatively tight formation, all bent on self destruction and becoming random in motion.

Helicopters can't really fly - they're just so ugly that the earth immediately repels them.

Back