• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Service Manual

Welcome to the forum!
The service manuals are no longer being produced. If you scroll through this forum you will see a number of discussions on the topic.
Be sure to checkout the sticky’s at the top of the Wethead forum. A number of our members have offered some great advice on bike maintenance.
Good luck.
Gary

BMW has stopped making the service manual available to customers, There is at least one thread on the topic on the forum. Your options appear to be to rely on maintenance related videos available on You Tube or DVDs for sale. Two high quality video sources are made by Box Flier on You Tube or JVBProductions.com for sale. There have also been pirated copies of manuals for sale on eBay; let your conscience be your guide in that regard.

There is proposed Federal legislation that requires manufacturers to provide access to the information needed to repair and maintain vehicles and equipment, such as service manuals. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_repair). Montana Senator John Tester is one of the people strongly advocating for the legislation. His legislation is aimed at agricultural equipment, but it will cover other vehicles as well. Contact your senators and encourage them to support passage of right to repair legislation. There are also ongoing efforts to pass right to repair laws at the state level. Massachusetts supposedly has one of the strongest right to repair laws. See if you can find out if there is such an effort in your state and if so, encourage your local politicians to support it.

BMW has stopped making the service manual available to customers, There is at least one thread on the topic on the forum. Your options appear to be to rely on maintenance related videos available on You Tube or DVDs for sale. Two high quality video sources are made by Box Flier on You Tube or JVBProductions.com for sale. There have also been pirated copies of manuals for sale on eBay; let your conscience be your guide in that regard.

Thanks for the kind words...
Wanted to clear up any confusion about finding my Boxflyer YouTube Channel.

Hope to finish up my R1250 Cam Timing and Valve Service soon...I need to have some time with another 1250 to do some additional video work.

Boxflyer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeJAqO8pJpydWQ4z6iNOs9g

There is proposed Federal legislation that requires manufacturers to provide access to the information needed to repair and maintain vehicles and equipment, such as service manuals. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_repair). Montana Senator John Tester is one of the people strongly advocating for the legislation. His legislation is aimed at agricultural equipment, but it will cover other vehicles as well. Contact your senators and encourage them to support passage of right to repair legislation. There are also ongoing efforts to pass right to repair laws at the state level. Massachusetts supposedly has one of the strongest right to repair laws. See if you can find out if there is such an effort in your state and if so, encourage your local politicians to support it.

This has had a few unintended consequences in at least one state that enacted a similar law, and included something about data (I don't recall the specifics). The law was set to go into place extremely quickly, forcing some auto manufacturers to make some... interesting... choices. Subaru ended up disabling some features and not selling those features if you lived in that state due to the law, as they were otherwise unable to comply. I think it was a privacy issue, as the law required any data associated with the vehicle had to be accessible (including GPS and other data sent to the cloud, which was all in a common proprietary system), which would have exposed a lot of PII if they tried to open it up.

This has had a few unintended consequences in at least one state that enacted a similar law, and included something about data (I don't recall the specifics). The law was set to go into place extremely quickly, forcing some auto manufacturers to make some... interesting... choices. Subaru ended up disabling some features and not selling those features if you lived in that state due to the law, as they were otherwise unable to comply. I think it was a privacy issue, as the law required any data associated with the vehicle had to be accessible (including GPS and other data sent to the cloud, which was all in a common proprietary system), which would have exposed a lot of PII if they tried to open it up.

Yes, the issue is something that needs to be addressed at the Federal level - but in today's contrarian Washington environment I don't see that happening.

Thanks for the reply, good information!

+1 :thumb

Service Manuals

I purchased an indexed pdf service manual for a 1250 gsa on ebay for about $30 us. It took a few weeks get as it came from a vendor in Spain. I got the thumb drive optio as my internet is slow. Almost as good as the bmw service manual.co Tai s everything but will not reference auxiliary tasks.

Back