• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

service light reset prohibited??

elvis

Hello all,
I went to the dealer to have a Massachusetts inspection done and asked if they could reset the service minder, too. I just got the bike back and did an oil change on her. I purchased the bike new at this dealership in 2018, sold it a bit later and saw that is was for sale from the guy I sold it to so I bought it back. He only put 1K miles on her and added a BMW top case.

Anyway, my dealer said he wasn't allowed to per BMW as they didn't do the service. I tried to explain it was just a light reset and they said nope! Does anyone know if BMW in fact does prohibit dealers from resetting the light?

And to add insult to injury, I did call last week asked if they can reset the service light, he said yes for $25.00. I explained this to the service desk people today and they said that they wouldn't have said that.

Thoughts??
Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,
Don't know where you live in Mass, but I'll reset your service light to any mileage/date you want for free.
I'm in Rhode Island, so come on down.

Boxflyer
(Brad)

Hello all,
I went to the dealer to have a Massachusetts inspection done and asked if they could reset the service minder, too. I just got the bike back and did an oil change on her. I purchased the bike new at this dealership in 2018, sold it a bit later and saw that is was for sale from the guy I sold it to so I bought it back. He only put 1K miles on her and added a BMW top case.

Anyway, my dealer said he wasn't allowed to per BMW as they didn't do the service. I tried to explain it was just a light reset and they said nope! Does anyone know if BMW in fact does prohibit dealers from resetting the light?

And to add insult to injury, I did call last week asked if they can reset the service light, he said yes for $25.00. I explained this to the service desk people today and they said that they wouldn't have said that.

Thoughts??
Thanks, Dave

What is the name of this most helpful dealership????? :banghead

It's quite reasonable to believe a "Corporate" view that if the Master Computer Records don't show that a "Service" was actually performed (at ANY dealership), a dealer would not be permitted to reset the light. But I don't know if this is fact...

Some dealers will if you've been a steady customer and they "know" your bike. If it got overlooked at a Service, it "should" be free; if it's just a favor, a small charge for labor time is reasonable.
Maybe it just depends on who you talk to there...

On the other hand, you can do it yourself with the proper tools (like a GS-911) with no worries.

Hi Dave,
Don't know where you live in Mass, but I'll reset your service light to any mileage/date you want for free.
I'm in Rhode Island, so come on down.

Boxflyer
(Brad)

Brad,

I just watched your video with Chris on the Street, last night, doing some maintenance. I will PM you. Thank you, Dave

When I had my service done this year they were booking appointments out over a month. It was not at Wagners but I'm sure they are real busy also.

That dealership blows IMHO.. Best thing to do is invest in a GS-911, either for yourself or with another rider to split the cost, and do all the work yourself.
Beemerboneyard sells all the goodies your bike needs and you can avoid your wonderful dealer... YMMV

There's no excuse for telling you they would reset the light (only) if they actually have a policy against it. But I can understand their unwillingness to perform a reset, since they cannot verify that any servicing was done, or was done properly. A scheduled service is more than just an oil change.

Does the dealer service computer record every connection to the bike and report back to BMW?

At a dealership I went in for a front tire and related….oil and filter. When I went back for the bike the “service” was still on. I asked “why”? They told me that I didn’t ask for the bike to be hooked to the computer. I said, “does anyone expect to have their bike serviced and not have the service reminder reset”?
Another local BMW dealership…..must be contagious. I haven’t been back as I am too busy to go through this odd way of doing things.
OM

I was told in no uncertain terms at Moto Union in Milwaukee that they will NOT do a reset if they don't do the work. I didn't even ask but apparently they get the question a lot. I get it. They're in business to make money and that isn't part of that plan. Plus, as mentioned, they didn't do the work so why should they "verify" it was done by resetting?

I'll just get the 911 tool. I was quoted $1200 for the 24K service. To me that's kind of steep.

The Motoscan app is a less expensive way to go for just resetting the service date/distance.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

When I had my service done this year they were booking appointments out over a month. It was not at Wagners but I'm sure they are real busy also.

They weren't that busy as they took my bike right in to do the state inspection. And another guy came in off the street for some work to be done. He didn't have an appointment..

Larry - I don't know if it's "Every time" the bike gets hooked up, but I have viewed my service records when I've been out of state.
I don't have a "service reminder", but I whole-heartedly have to agree with O.M.

I don't understand how resetting a reminder to get service somehow means that the dealer doing the reset somehow vouched for the service being done. All they did was reset a counter. On most cars this can be done without ever visiting a dealer at all.

In almost every situation where I bring my vehicles in for service, they end up coming back worse than they went in. Yes, the service was performed, but there's a scratch here or a stain there, the brakes pulse because they used the air gun instead of a torque wrench on the lugs, or they reset my air pressure event though I explicitly told them to leave it alone because I set it where I like it, etc... On my 12K service on my RT the tech tightened all of the body fasteners like he was Arnold Schwarzenegger. I figured out when I did the next full service myself at 24K that he also broke one of the tabs as a result of this. At that point though, it was a couple of years later and I'd now taken it apart myself, so why should they believe me when I tell them that they broke it?

This is why I do my own work and use a GS-911 for service functions and resetting my service indicator.

I have to laugh when I see threads/replies where people urge everyone to support your local dealer and buy your parts there and get your service there so they are "there when you need them"... then I read another thread where someone with a 15 year old bike needs a clutch and his local dealer tells him they won't work on it because its too old. The dealers look out for themselves. You should too.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. I did email Wagner Motorsports yesterday afternoon telling them about two different responses regarding resetting the service light. They responded with apologies for the confusion and offered to reset it. I politely declined and probably will not step foot in there again. I never got a good feeling from their service desk.

When I have dealt with their parts department, totally different, friendly and helpful. Even sales was easy to deal with. Just not the service desk.

Anyway, someone on this forum offered to reset my service light and I am taking him up on it. :)

Thanks again everyone.

Back