• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sena upgrade or not, let's hear it..

nelliott

Cowboyatheart
I have a SMH10 on my old helmet.

Should I transfer it to my new C3 Pro Schuberth? Or purchase a new Sena 20S?

Yes I use most of the features. Yes I always wear ear plugs.

What shortcoming in the SMH10 are you trying to "fix"?

If there are no shortcomings and the SMH10 works for you, why upgrade just to upgrade? There's always some marketing person out there who needs to convince you to spend your money on something you don't need, just so they stay employed.

Chris

If you regularly talk bike to bike and listen to music, get the 20S. The audio multitasking feature allows you to talk and listen to music simultaneously with the music "dimming" whenever you or anyone else is speaking. It's quite nice not to have to change modes to do both. Caution: the other rider must have a 20S, too as it doesn't function correctly if they are using anything else.

If you regularly talk to multiple people while riding, the 20S can connect to 8 other 20S units. It cannot make more than 3 other SMH-10 units work with it though, at least in my experience. We couldn't make 4 SMH-10 units and a 20S work on a ride recently.

It is smaller than the SMH-10, BUT the antenna must be flipped up for the FM and intercom use. In my experience, it does not have greater range than the SMH-10 despite Sena's claims. The mounting is different than the SMH-10 and possibly better, but that is subjective.

I still have my set of SMH-10 units and may put one into a dual-sport helmet, but I like the 20S better. It connects more quickly and is just more smoothly integrated with all the pairings than the SMH-10. Except for the FM and multitasking audio, it does nothing the SMH-10 doesn't.

Hope this helps.

If you regularly talk bike to bike and listen to music, get the 20S. The audio multitasking feature allows you to talk and listen to music simultaneously with the music "dimming" whenever you or anyone else is speaking. It's quite nice not to have to change modes to do both. Caution: the other rider must have a 20S, too as it doesn't function correctly if they are using anything else.

If you regularly talk to multiple people while riding, the 20S can connect to 8 other 20S units. It cannot make more than 3 other SMH-10 units work with it though, at least in my experience. We couldn't make 4 SMH-10 units and a 20S work on a ride.

That's worth it right there. It seems that the last few group rides I've been on, most riders have the 20s, and the connectivity is super easy and quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd look at the 10U

The 10U is definitely made for the Schuberth and is a really clean installation. But, it still operates with 10 series features and does not include the audio multitasking feature which is the huge advantage of the 20S. Furthermore, the number of units that can be paired is limited. Another consideration is that the 10U uses the remote control on the handlebar. I have no experience with it, but it is another item to pair, connect, and eventually, charge.

I have been impressed with my 20s so far; very good reception for FM with decent sound. Intercom buddy had SMH10 so he sounded great in my helmet, I sounded a little scratchy with slight wind noise in his. We've both updated our respective firmware, so we'll see if that changes on our next ride in a few days.

The voice command can be exasperating at speeds above 60. And at the risk of needing a flame suit, I will say the clarity of the phone was exceptionally good as people didn't even realize I was riding my bike. The combo of the Schuberth C3 and the Sena 20s helped, I'm sure.

You should also look at the 10S; it's the newest Sena of them all. It may have what you need (or it may not). I upgraded from the SMH-10 recently, and went with the 10S.

I upgraded from an SMH10 to the 20s two years ago. No problem with the 10 except that somehow in a thunderstorm, my wife's unit somehow came off the base and was lost. I still have the single remaining 10 in use on my DS helmet. I do like the 20s better though. The FM is nice when I commute and the reception range is decent. It's also nice to use the smartphone app to manage the pairings if you do connect to multiples. The app also makes a few other tasks simpler to set up.

Wife and I have 20s units for travel in the sidecar rig. Overall, we really like them--easy to pair and capable of handling gps,phone, music, and radar simultaneously. I also like the voice comnand and the FM for commuting, but have not been able to adjust volume on the FM.
Best,
DG

Back