• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saturday project on Gerdy

Reece, congrats on finishing the project. Did you invent any new profanities?:laugh

I did not. It went fairly well. For anyone reading this though, as I got on the 6mm bolt holding the side stand in place with a socket and wrench, and began to torque it off, the bike almost came off the center stand, it concerned me... i modified my position loosening the bolt and was very careful afterwards, as I was laying beside the bike, if would have fallen on me, not sure what the outcome would have been. Lots of expensive solutions, (like a maintenance stand/lift) to prevent this sort of thing, my solution was just to bring Rhonda out and sit with me while I did the work, in case it came down. It never rocked or came close to coming off the stand again.

The outcome would have been a "smashed Reece!" with Rhonda saying "Are you kidding me?". 8*)

Glad all turned out well!

The outcome would have been a "smashed Reece!" with Rhonda saying "Are you kidding me?". 8*)

Glad all turned out well!

Well, you know I analyze things too much, and I figured I had a 50/50 chance depending on which way the bike fell. And you totally nailed what Rhonda would have said verbatim.

A suggestion:

In the future run a strap from the centerstand forward around the rim of the front wheel and back to the centerstand. Cinch it down tight.

The strap prevents the centerstand from moving backwards to fold up.

Mark, I like that safety tip. I can totally see how that would work. Thanks, if I'm laying down near a bike on a center stand in the future I will definitely do that.

"the bike almost came off the center stand"

The center stand stability on the G650 reminds me of the handling on my 1972 Kawasaki H2. Wobbly.

When in Fairbanks getting my tires changed by Dan Armstrong at Adventure Cycleworks (the place to go) he put a bungee cord from the center stand to the front wheel (or something like that - I was tired). That seemed to make the wobbling go away.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
71,449 Life

Back