• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sargent seat feedback wanted

ChrisM47

Anyone have feedback on the all-day comfort of a Sargent passenger seat? Or the same for the rider low seat option? After 16 years my 1100RT’s Corbin seat needs recovering and feels like a rock. I’m ok with it but the wife is very uncomfortable, to the point of pain. We’re in our 7th decade, and planning rides from Florida to the Georgia Mountain Rally and the MOA national. A new seat is a requirement! I’m pretty sure I’d be extremely happy with a Russell or Bill Mayer seat, but if she isn’t happy we may not have time for adjustments before the mountain rally. I like that the Sargent is “off the shelf”, has very good rider reviews, and that my stock seats will be left intact. Before I pull the trigger on a seat that uses the BMW pans I’m wondering if any Sargent seat riders and passengers have long distance experience and comfort feedback on the low seat option and all day pillion comfort. Thanks!

I rode with a Sargent low seat for about five years. I recently sent it back to Sargent to have it changed to the standard height. The standard height is more comfortable for me now while riding because my knees aren't bent as much, but I am on the tips of my toes at a stop. I don't ride with a passenger, but I can do 800 mile days with no problem.

If you decide on a Sargent seat check on the Bike Week discount. They used to offer a 20% discount in Nov and again during Bike Week.
I bought a seat in 2011 and was able to get the discount when ordering by phone.

Took the 'planks' off my R1200RT as soon as I pushed it out of the showroom in spring of '06.

Replaced them with Sargent seat and enjoyed 7 years of total long distance, 2-up comfort!

One of the few farkles on the bike that bumped UP my trade-in value when I replaced it.

:thumb + :thumb

I rode for a few years with a Sargent on a 2009RT. Huge improvement in comfort. The only thing I wasn't keen on was that the cupped design doesn't let you hang off the bike. Otherwise all good.

I tried both a Sargent and Corbin on my K1200RS, found the Sargent was a better fit for me. The Corbin was dished a bit more and caused some hot spots at my inner thigh. Will be looking for a Sargent for my R1200GS once funds are available : )

We've had six Corbins and I inherited a Sargent on used Super Tenere. Four of the six Corbins have been excellent, one so-so and one atrocious. I've only put 5K miles on the Sargent, but so far it seems quite comfortable and on a par with the best Corbins I've experienced. The only seats I have almost never heard an owner complain about are the Russel Day Long and the Bill Mayers. While there are many factors in making a comfortable seat, it appears to me that providing a large surface area is among the most important. The seats that get the most positve reviews are the ones that resemble tractor seats. Not surprisingly, the best Corbins we've had use the tractor seat design and the disappointing seats did not. I have a hard time warming up to the appearance of the RDL seats and the Mayer seats somewhat as well. I imagine if I were a hard core long distance rider I'd come to grips with that opinion and get one.

I never did like the looks of a Russell Day Long seat but The R1200RT seats are really uncomfortable to the point where I had to do something so went through the process of custom fitting the RDL. Even though I have a 34 inch inseam there is a lot of difference in firmly planting my feet at a stop because of the wider width. So I have to think ahead a little more but the comfort is well worth the change. If you go with a custom ordered Russell you need to get an appointment and they are very busy so don't delay in contacting them. They need pictures of you sitting on the bike and your physical dimensions. And as it has been said, they increase the value of the bike should you ever sell it.
I have had great success with Sargent when making custom changes to my wife's F650CS seat by talking to them and making chalk lines on the stock seat where we wanted it cut down. Also they made the same type changes to a Honda Magna for her. So they are good at meeting specific demands for your needs.

Thanks to all for the helpful feedback! Wife and I are going to visit the Sargent showroom during Bike Week and take advantage of test rides and the discount. A quick call confirmed they have the seats in stock. I've been hesitant to do a $700 upgrade on a 17yr old bike with 91K miles, but I believe the 1100RT to be the best BMW for a do-it-yourself, road touring geezer like me. Except for the seat and seat height, IMO it's as close to perfection as any machine can be. Next I'll be installing passenger foot boards and lowered rider pegs. Safe riding adventures to all.

Thanks to all for the helpful feedback! Wife and I are going to visit the Sargent showroom during Bike Week and take advantage of test rides and the discount. A quick call confirmed they have the seats in stock. I've been hesitant to do a $700 upgrade on a 17yr old bike with 91K miles, but I believe the 1100RT to be the best BMW for a do-it-yourself, road touring geezer like me. Except for the seat and seat height, IMO it's as close to perfection as any machine can be. Next I'll be installing passenger foot boards and lowered rider pegs. Safe riding adventures to all.

I was fortunate that the guy I bought my R12RT from had already shelled out the cash for the Sargent seat. He kept the stock seat and it came with the bike. The stock seat is awful. I can't take more than about an hour of riding with it on the bike. The only thing that is better about the stock seat for me is that it isn't as wide as the Sargent. Being somewhat inseam challenged it is much easier to get my feet down at stops.

I've had Sargent seats on my 2004 VFR, 2006 ST1300, and my 2013 F700GS. All have been very good to excellent upgrades to OEM seats. The under pan storage cubby is a nice feature as well.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I put a Sargent low seat on my 2014 RT. I've only done 400 miles in a day and it is a huge improvement over stock.

Installed today. So far so good. Workmanship top notch. Clicked in effortlessly. Looks 100% better than the stock seat. Maybe 200%. Pans really nice with storage compartments. Silver piping is really a close match to frame color. Quite possibly the best experience I've had to date with a supplier from the ordering process, customer service and delivery speed. Haven't ridden with it yet so stay tuned.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,569
Seat looks good

Installed today. So far so good. Workmanship top notch. Clicked in effortlessly. Looks 100% better than the stock seat. Maybe 200%. Pans really nice with storage compartments. Silver piping is really a close match to frame color. Quite possibly the best experience I've had to date with a supplier from the ordering process, customer service and delivery speed. Haven't ridden with it yet so stay tuned.

View attachment 54753

View attachment 54754
Looks like you made a successful investment.

Anyone have feedback on the all-day comfort of a Sargent passenger seat? Or the same for the rider low seat option? After 16 years my 1100RT’s Corbin seat needs recovering and feels like a rock. I’m ok with it but the wife is very uncomfortable, to the point of pain. We’re in our 7th decade, and planning rides from Florida to the Georgia Mountain Rally and the MOA national. A new seat is a requirement! I’m pretty sure I’d be extremely happy with a Russell or Bill Mayer seat, but if she isn’t happy we may not have time for adjustments before the mountain rally. I like that the Sargent is “off the shelf”, has very good rider reviews, and that my stock seats will be left intact. Before I pull the trigger on a seat that uses the BMW pans I’m wondering if any Sargent seat riders and passengers have long distance experience and comfort feedback on the low seat option and all day pillion comfort. Thanks!

Have you asked Corbin if they'll rebuild the seat with new foam? Back in the day, that was part of a lifetime warranty. Had a Corbin for 10+yrs on my k75c and really liked it.

View attachment 54753

View attachment 54754
VERY nice looking. Wonder if the pass.seat will be as comfy?

Sargent Seat feedback

For an off the shelf seat Sargent is hard to beat. I ride two up most of the time and most trips cover 2500 miles or more. Have installed Sargents on 2 Honda ST's and the current BMW RT with no problems for either rider or passenger. Not an all day seat but totally adequate between fuel stops.

Like mine

I used Corbin saddles on several bikes I've owned, and liked them. Couple years ago I tried a Sargent on my R11RT. I really like it. It's all day comfy, it has a little secret stash box, and it's a little easier for me to slide my butt off the side for turns.

I just put one on my 16 RT. I only have about 500 miles on it so far, but I have to say it is very comfortable, and I expect that it will more than meet my needs on long rides which I do fairly often.:thumb

Back