• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

S1000RR with a BMW lithium battery

BBolin

Hi Folks

Anyone know if the BMW Li battery can be charged with an Optimate Li battery charger? BMW implies that their $200 charger will only work with their Li batteries, not those from other manufacturers. Anyone have any experience with the ever so pricey BMW Li battery. My new S1000RR is coming with one so I want to be sure to get the right charger. Thanks

Bob

I'll get back to you in June after mine is delivered. So, no real experience but batteries are batteries.

Canbus and inexpensive control modules are enabling manufacturers to lock customers to even common replacement items like batteries. Audi car management software for example, expects batteries to have an ID and serial number. Audi claims this allows for better battery management and reporting but it also allows them to price a replacement battery at over $400! That’s just BS in my book ...

I do not know if BMW has gone this route with the S1000, but if it was my bike, i’d run it until the Li battery is toast and then work on replacing it with a common $30 AGM battery from Ebay.

As long as the charger does not have a de-sulfation mode, it is OK to use on a Li battery. The de-sulfation mode of some charger/maintainers apply up to 20VDC to cause a lead acid battery to re-absorb the sulphates that accumulate on the lead.plates.

I just took delivery of my S1000R with the M package and Lithium battery. BMW makes a suitable charger for a lot of money. Is anyone aware of any other solutions that work but don't cost as much?

I just took delivery of my S1000R with the M package and Lithium battery. BMW makes a suitable charger for a lot of money. Is anyone aware of any other solutions that work but don't cost as much?
I always thought the BMW chargers were designed to interact through the accessory outlets? There was some sort of “procedure” needed to make this happen……..might have involved Voodoo.
You might be able to bypass that with an SAE pigtail, which really helps with powering accessories such as a tire pump. Battery Tenders come with a pigtail. You may want to research temperature considerations for charging a lithium battery- just to be sure.
OM

My bike came with an SAE pigtale. This way the case with my previous non-BMW bike as well. Since the BMW dealership installed this, I am going to assume it will be fine. I an not concerned about running accessories, just keeping the bike charged when the cold weather hits.

I use Optimates. You can connect them via a pigtail or use the canbus mode to connect to the BMW accessory plug.

My bike came with an SAE pigtale. This way the case with my previous non-BMW bike as well. Since the BMW dealership installed this, I am going to assume it will be fine. I an not concerned about running accessories, just keeping the bike charged when the cold weather hits.
Good on your dealer for installation of a SAE connector.

Cold weather considerations- from a search,
Although many types of lithium batteries can continue operating above subzero temperatures, it's essential that they're not charged when the weather dips below freezing. Charging a lithium-ion battery when its internal temperature is below 25° F can cause long-term and permanent damage to the battery.

:dunno

OM

Lithium batteries have almost no self-discharge, so, you may not need to worry about it as much as you would a lead acid battery. That said, as others have pointed out, you do NOT want to charge the battery below freezing, it causes quick and severe damage to a lithium battery. My charger in our RV is temperature compensated for specifically this reason. Also, some lithium batteries have internal disconnects (that prevent charging if they are too cold or hot). If the battery has that functionality, any charger will work to keep it topped up (Battery Tender, etc). If you want a full charge, you'll have to get a charger that knows the difference (lithium runs a slightly higher voltage, if you charge it with a standard charger, you won't get to 100%).

Something like this should work perfectly:

But, again, before you hook up any charger for the winter, make SURE the battery has internal low temp protection!

That said, what do EV owners in northern states do in the winter?
I was looking for some concise information on that. Information seems to be all over the place leaning more to those pro or against electric vehicles. :dunno
OM

As long as the charger does not have a de-sulfation mode, it is OK to use on a Li battery. The de-sulfation mode of some charger/maintainers apply up to 20VDC to cause a lead acid battery to re-absorb the sulphates that accumulate on the lead.plates.
Li battery chargers monitor the charge voltage closely, reliable batterys if properly cared for, do not use a conventional charger, I’ve seen voltages over 22v on many chargers

I use Optimates. You can connect them via a pigtail or use the canbus mode to connect to the BMW accessory plug.
Thank you. I now have two questions. The first is, do I loose anything by using the pigtail (SAE connector) vs. the Canbus? I ask since the shop installed this and it would be very convenient to use. The second is that Optimates has lots of choice for products is there model that people like?

Thank you. I now have two questions. The first is, do I loose anything by using the pigtail (SAE connector) vs. the Canbus? I ask since the shop installed this and it would be very convenient to use. The second is that Optimates has lots of choice for products is there model that people like?
I have an SAE pigtail on my XR and on that bike I use a TecMate Optimate Lithium 0.8A. On my GS that doesn't have a pigtail I use the DIN socket and use a TecMate OptiMate 4 Quad Program Battery Charger for BMW CANbus. That said, there is some verbiage in both owner's manuals about not charging the battery from the terminals while it is connected to the vehicle so one could read that to mean that you should NOT charge via a directly connected pigtail. Just pointing that out in case it matters to you since I remember it being debated ad nauseam in a couple other forums. I have never noticed a difference or had a problem charging either way and have been charging my XR from the pigtail for 2 years or so with no issues. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable will come along and give you a better answer.

XR - https://optimate1.com/product/oml4s1a/
GS - https://optimate1.com/product/optimate-4-quad-program-premium/?wcmlc=USD

Last edited:
I think you lose wondering if the procedure has worked using the CANBUS accessory port.
The SAE connector is simple.
OM

I think you lose wondering if the procedure has worked using the CANBUS accessory port.
The SAE connector is simple.
OM
lol..that's actually a good answer. The canbus connected optimate does all kinds of weird stuff that I haven't bothered to figure out yet.

lol..that's actually a good answer. The canbus connected optimate does all kinds of weird stuff that I haven't bothered to figure out yet.
Yeah the lights actually do a good job of informing you of the status so you don’t have to wonder. But of course you have to take the time to figure out what the lights mean.

Yeah the lights actually do a good job of informing you of the status so you don’t have to wonder. But of course you have to take the time to figure out what the lights mean.
Yup, the lights are handy. It's all the weird "canbussy" things the bike does when I plug it in that make me wonder.. click here, click there, nav cradle powers up, etc. Voodoo compared to the pigtail, but so far my battery is always in the green so no complaints.

The Optimate seems to be able to charge different types of batteries. A friend of mine gave me one, that I figured I had to read the instructions on.
A look on line gave me instructions that seemed to me, possibly written by the developer. :hungover
Touching the clamps together while plugged in? It happens to charge regular batteries just fine so I’m not going to fight success.
Maybe someone that is a Wiz on the ins and outs of the Optimate Chargers can put up a tutorial in the gear section. I can’t be the only one. :brad
OM

Back