• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Russell Day Long Seating Position

rtim

Hi all,

I've upgraded to a Corbin seat (standard height) and I've found that it tends to slide me slightly forward. I've tried in both height adjustment positions, and it's the same either way. I prefer the highest adjustment because I'm 6'2". It tends to crowd my package, if you catch my drift.

I'm looking at sending my stock seats to Russell Day Long to have them build me one, but I don't want the same issue. Can any of you RDL owners tell me about the seating position?

Also, does anybody have a suggestion to a more "neutral" seating position, not sliding you forward?

Thanks in advance!

I did not like the Russel , as shortend the seat length . To end that lean foward , remove the screws that hold the seat adjuster. Get screws 3/8 " longer , put a piece of metal of the same thickness and install new screws .It will raise the front of the seat only . If that's not enough or to much thicken or thin metal . I chose a Sargent seat with the seat raised in the front .

Russell will build it however you want it. I have owned nine of them over a couple of decades. Every time I get another bike, Russell sells another seat.

I am 6'2" with a 36" inseam and own an 07RT. I sent my pics and seat to Russell and now ride 12 hours in a day and never think about the seat and never get sore any more. I heard it would take some time to get used to the different style and it did but it is worth it. At first I had it in the high position and found I couldn't flat foot unless I slid forward in the saddle when I stopped. I put it in the lower position and that solved that. After a year of getting broken in I have moved it back to the high position with no problem. If I want to stay in the saddle when I stop I just one foot it. If I want both feet on the ground I slide forward without thinking any more. It is all very natural now. At no time was there too much pressure in the wrong places though.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74988-Russell-Day-Long-Holiday-Special-15-off&highlight=

I am 6'2" with a 36" inseam and own an 07RT. I sent my pics and seat to Russell and now ride 12 hours in a day and never think about the seat and never get sore any more. I heard it would take some time to get used to the different style and it did but it is worth it. At first I had it in the high position and found I couldn't flat foot unless I slid forward in the saddle when I stopped. I put it in the lower position and that solved that. After a year of getting broken in I have moved it back to the high position with no problem. If I want to stay in the saddle when I stop I just one foot it. If I want both feet on the ground I slide forward without thinking any more. It is all very natural now. At no time was there too much pressure in the wrong places though.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74988-Russell-Day-Long-Holiday-Special-15-off&highlight=

Thanks Mike. Thanks for the link, too.

I'll be sending my stock seats soon. :)

Mike,

I have a RDL saddle for my HD Road Glide and only used it on one trip because it set me up too high. Don't get me wrong, it is an incredible seat and I had the same experience as you as far as comfort but it felt like it raised me up way to high. I'm in the process of buying a new GS Adventure and would love a Russell on it but don't want the same feeling as my other one. Do you find it raises you up higher? I'm 6'2" with 34" inseam so with my long torso I don't need to be any higher.

Jeff

I am 6'2" with 34 inseam and I had the stock seat in the high position but with the RDL I had to move to the low position. I also have Suburban Machinery lowering pegs so that didn't change my knee angle. I didn't like having to slide forward to flat foot at the stops but I got used to it. The best thing is that 300 mile days on my R12RT are now totally comfortable. One thing I like to do is put the side stand down when my wife is getting on in case my foot should slip with my leg fully extended like it is with that high seat. Especially if there is gravel under foot. But maybe at age 75 I'm thinking something that has never happened just might.:blah

I am on my second Russell seat on my second GSA. This one is the waterhead and the previous one was a hexhead: hence two totally different seats. In both cases they are far more comfortable than the stock and slightly more comfortable than the Sargents I also had/have.

On my current waterhead the seat actually seems high in the front, therefore it's not crowding me. It sets me up so much higher that I one foot it or tippy toe when stopped which I didn't have to do with the stock seat nor with the Sargent (in either height position). I'm 6'0" with 33" inseam and it hasn't been a problem even on the tall GSA.

I allowed them to build the seat without regard to fitting the pillion seat since I still have the stock and Sargent seats if needed. He made it so that it's slightly longer and wider at the rear. I cannot say enough about its long distance comfort. The Sargent is a fine seat but I'd rather ride on my RDL for day after day touring.

Do you find it raises you up higher?

Yes, probably an inch or two is my guess though I have not actually measured it. That is why when I first got it I rode a year in the low seat position. But after getting used to it I now ride in the high seat position and it seems more comfortable to me then ever.

For those considering an RDL purchase, if you read my post at the link above you will see that they offer a substantial discount once a year. They do not advertise this on their web site in advance. You just have to visit it every day until it shows up. I think they do it around the same time every year but even if you call them and ask them when it will be available they won't be able to tell you. Just look at the dates in my post and begin checking around then if you are interested. Seems like it only runs for a few weeks and then disappears.

I have spent a fortune on seats over the years. I still spend a fortune, but only once per bike. Having owned and ridden most others, there are Russell seats on all the bikes in the garage.There is no slide forward with them. Yes, you need to specify what you are expecting out of a seat and they do listen to that. They can be taller than stock, but most reach difference is due to the shape toward the front. That tends to be wider and makes your legs spread a bit which makes them feel taller. Scooting to the front helps. Don't know how anyone with a 34" inseam would have issues with seat height, but it is a thing to consider with a Russell. Typically around November they do have a "sale" price and you can get appointments to get a seat built in a couple weeks then.

The measure of a REALLY comfortable and functional seat is the SECOND day of a long ride. I left Billings, Montana last Saturday morning. Arrived in Houston, Texas Sunday evening. Two 800 mile days back to back and while I was worn out, my butt could have gone farther. No other seat I have tried comes close to that.

I have an '09 RT and the "seat adjuster" is not adjustable. The seat adjuster is part of the frame, and only has a high and low detent position. The high/low plastic part is screwed to a frame member with 4 screws and is retained by 2 "rubber bands". It is impossible to unscrew it and put a plate under it to raise the front end. I have examined my seat mount countless times, and have come to the same conclusion. If you have a later model RT, and have successfully done this, please share some photos of your seat setup. Thanks.

RDL all the way....I have an R bike and a K bike with Russell. The seating position did raise me up a touch, but is the most comfortable ride ever! 6'2" 34" inseam...very comfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketman,

Here are the high and low positions of my standard 2-piece seat. The low seat and the comfort seat are one-piece seats which don't adjust.

Hope this helps!

Edit: the post flipped the images... Sorry.

-Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 411
Yep...that's the same as on my '09RT. I was referring to post #2 on the previous page where it was suggested to unbolt the seat adjuster and add a piece of metal to raise the nose of the seat higher. I'm guessing he meant for a different model bike, but thanks just the same.

Don't know how anyone with a 34" inseam would have issues with seat height, but it is a thing to consider with a Russell.

Touching the ground isn't my problem. It's the feeling of sitting up so high and it feels very awkward. I'll get in touch with Russell and have a chat with them.

Jeff

Touching the ground isn't my problem. It's the feeling of sitting up so high and it feels very awkward. I'll get in touch with Russell and have a chat with them.

Jeff

Well, that is different from most complaints! And I get it. The new RT, with the stock seat, seemed like you were sitting "IN" the bike. I liked that a lot, along with the lower seat height/narrow width of the bike. I told Russell I wanted COMFORT. They may have made mine a bit taller than average because of my request ( back to back 800 mile days last weekend proves it has COMFORT!). My first time sitting on the bike with the new Russell gave me what I suspect is the exact feeling you describe. Sort of like sitting on an FJR, I was sitting ON the bike instead of IN it. Knowing what I knew about the seat I just rode it and now am used to it. When I put it in the HIGH position for long days in the saddle I still get that feeling for a bit. But, the comfort is worth it. I will tell you that the Illium bar risers became necessary with the taller seat. I also must say that an aftermarket windshield becomes more important when sitting taller in the seat.

I will tell you that the Illium bar risers became necessary with the taller seat. I also must say that an aftermarket windshield becomes more important when sitting taller in the seat.

Those are very important considerations for those of us who may be on the tall side. My 07RT was already outfitted with 2 sets of risers and a +2" windscreen because of my height but I did notice the windscreen adjustment changed a bit to get the same effect with the addition of the RDL.

Back