• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

08 R1200RT, Question about Russell Day Long from Stock seat

Beemahdad

86 K75 vin 0114638
Hello riders.
I just purchased my 2008 R1200RT adding to my 86 K75 and 04 R1150RT. Both my previous rides updates with a Corbin Canyon and RDL respectively. After adding 200km to my odometer, I realize long term my butt and hips are going to miss the wider saddle of the RDL.

For those who may be height challenged like me (5f6in on a good day) and who purchased a used RDL, did you find that the overall bike seat became taller? I am third owner and the previous owner could no tell me if this bike was lowered but compared to my R1150RT, I am definitely closer to flat footing on the 1200.

So as a recap, looking for a used Russell Day Long versus sending my seat down to Russell for the upgrade unless I have to. Many thanks.

The RDL on my R1100RT is certainly higher. In the middle position on the stock seat I can flat foot the pavement at stops. For the last thirteen years I have developed the unconscious habit of sliding forward when approaching stops for the balls of my feet to touch the ground.

RDL seats generally need yo add about 1.5" extra height. It is spelled out on their website. They can add more height for taller riders. The added width can also impact your reach to the ground. Most riders have to learn how to roll forward to the narrow part of the RDL seat when coming to a stop.

Every RDL seat is custom built for the rider that is ordering it. If you get a RDL seat that is not built for your height, leg inseam & weight chances are it will not be a comfort seat for you.

@ 5' 1" on my 3rd RDL saddle ( different bikes ) you just need to learn to slip out and down . My last bike was a Triumph Tiger1200XCX not lowered . Where there is a will there is a way . My current RDL on the RS was made from a factory Tall option saddle and Jay said it was great to use as it offered more options for him to build with . So yes RDL seats make it taller . RDL.jpg20221224_104551.jpg275399818_10222339996272777_696739801783457960_n.jpg20170713_203612_zpsvi23bv58.jpg

Back